PDA

View Full Version : The Mighty Reviews 4/9/09

wktf
04-09-2009, 12:23 PM
Wktf’s Reviews

Still waiting on the next issues of Thor and Lone Ranger. Wonder what’s happened to these books? In the mean time, though, plenty of reading to keep my busy. Ugh…I type these reviews late at night after the kids are doing their own thing and my wife continues to try to have multiple conversations with me as I’m typing. I’m trying to concentrate, promise. What I do for these reviews…

Anyway, have you read Jason Aaron and Ron Garney’s Wolverine: Weapon X? Seriously, what a fantastic start to a new book. Makes every other Wolverine book irrelevant. My co-pick of the week!

Batman: Battle for the Cowl #2 (of 3)
DC Comics
Written by: Tony Daniel
Drawn by: Tony Daniel
Cover by: Tony Daniel

Last issue we saw Gotham in flames, the destruction of Arkham Asylum and the Black Mask’s freeing dozens of Gotham City's most lethal villains while also getting blame for the chaos in Gotham blamed on both Two-Face and The Penguin. With the reports of Batman’s death, the criminal element now is rioting in the streets and overturning their city. The police have absolutely no clue what to do, lacking the resources and the will (well, with the exception of Gordon) to confront anything on this scale. In the mean time, The Black Mask has organized some of Gotham’s biggest psychopaths (no, The Joker is not among them) to take on the police and the local heroes…namely Nightwing, Robin and their various allies. And with all this going on and with Dick Grayson’s feeling at his lowest over the loss of his mentor, his ambivalence over taking up Bruce’s cowl, and his sense of personal responsibility about the state of his city, not one but two new Batmen have surfaced and entered the fray.

The first, more brutal of the two Batmen I was able to call right away and this issue confirms I was right. The clues made his identity fairly obvious though the threat he represents to all, including Gothams’ heroes, couldn’t be greater. But the identity of the second wasn’t clear to me until this issue where a friendly exchange with Selina spell it out pretty clearly. I’ll say one thing for Daniel’s work these last two issues, the action is frenetic and the mood simply couldn’t be more desperate. This issue the casualties begin to rack up in a major way as this pretender to the cowl begins to eliminate his competition. Dick has got to get his head out of his funk or this conflict, whether with this new Batman or The Black Mask, will be over before he knows it.

There’s some really great interplay going on here. Black Mask is playing Two-Face, The Penguin and even Gordon perfectly. I’ve always considered The Penguin a bit of a dolt, not a villain to be taken seriously. Again, plenty of credit goes to Tony Daniel for giving us a Penguin, like he did with The Joker in RIP, who looks almost supernaturally menacing. Daniel’s got a hell of a lot of story and characters, as it turns out, to cram into just three issues. But with two down he’s given his readers a far more exciting and genuinely desperate comic book story than anything anyone this side of Paul Dini’s been able to do in years. With all the great work, both on the art and writing side, Daniel’s demonstrated to DC Comics it just baffles me that they won’t keep him as permanent writer and artist for a core Batman book. I’m far more interested in what happens next issue than I am in anything I’ve heard about the future direction of the Batman titles.

Captain Britain and MI13 #12
Marvel Comics
Written by: Paul Cornell
Drawn by: Leonard Kirk
Cover by: Stuart Immonen

Not only has Cornell put Blade in this book. Not only were we readers treated to a Gene Colan style rendition of Count Dracula last issue during a conference of the MI13. In this issue we also are reunited, if only in spirit and with his bodily remains, with none other than Quincy Harker, the leader of the band of fearless vampire hunters in the absolutely stunning Tomb of Dracula series of the 1970s. I’m getting a little ahead of myself but it’s just so great to see a writer who respects the source material from which his current storyline comes. Cornell is one of those writers as is Van Lente in Marvel Zombies 4, but I’ll get to that in the next review.

See, in issue 3 of Captain Britain and the MI13, Pete Wisdom, leader of the MI13, let loose hordes of Magical villains to help his time fight off the Skrulls and drive them from Britain. The problem is, his evil cohorts are still around and appear to have sworn allegiance to potentially the most powerful force of supernatural evil in the Marvel Universe, Dracula himself. And the Vampire Lord has made it his mission, following a totally intense meeting and treaty on the moon with Doctor Doom, to capture Britain to be the new home of his landless vampire nation. As of last issue, and continuing with this one, Dracula has put his 500 years of field battle savvy to work against his enemies and picked them apart like shooting fish in a barrel.

There’s a lot to love about this story arc. The return of Dracula and Blade to some prominence in the Marvel Universe certainly is one of them, as well as the plot elements going all the way back to Quincy’s final showdown with Dracula in Tomb of Dracula’s final issue #70. The relationship between Spitfire, a member of the WWII Invaders team but now a vampire, and Blade the Vampire Slayer certainly has its tense moments. Spitfire’s being reunited with her son, the new Baron Blood, but only because Dracula has complete control of her, him and every vampire on Earth. With no will of her own, Spitfire cannot help but join the enemy. And as for Dracula’s most serious enemy, Blade, he’s figured out how to make Blade lead him to his largest obstacle in his quest for Britain. And unwittingly, Blade has played right into The Vampire Lord’s hands. I have only started reading this series with the beginning of this arc. But I most definitely will be picking up the trades, the second of which hasn’t yet been published, ASAP. Prior to now, I’d never heard of Cornell and Kirk but this writer/artist duo have combined for a chilling, terrifying and desperate read with some absolutely stunning art to go with it. Highly, highly recommended.

Marvel Zombies 4 #1 (of 4)
Marvel Comics
Written by: Fred Van Lente
Drawn by: Kev Walker
Cover by: Greg Land
Variant cover by: Arthur Suydam

Okay, I find myself in kind of a weird position here. I read the first Marvel Zombies book when it came out and found the story poorly constructed and written and the art just awful. Plus, the fact it took place in an alternate universe of sorts made the whole thing seem irrelevant. I didn’t bother reading past the first issue and didn’t even give series #2 a shake. But then Marvel Zombies 3 was solicited with the Zombies coming to our Earth, via a dimensional portal in Man-Thing’s everglade swamp, and facing our heroes (or, at least, Machine Man, Jocasta and Morbius The Living Vampire). Plus it was going to be written by Fred Van Lente who’s work on Incredible Hercules made me think this was at least worth checking out. And, gotta say, it was a fun read. But now in Marvel Zombies 4 the zombies are loose beyond Florida and Morbius has decided that it takes a monster to catch a monster. And, so, he’s organized a new band of Midnight Sons to hunt and destroy these zombies. Specifically, Morbius The Living Vampire is joining forces with Werewolf by Night, Son of Satan, and the witch Jenifer Kale. The Man-Thing makes an appearance on Greg Land’s cover but isn’t found in this book, and while Simon Garth is found in this book his role seems to be tied to a different but related plot development.

The Midnight Sons first appears in 1992’s Ghost Rider #28 and consisted of Blade, Frank Drake (Dracula’s descendant), Hannibal King (vampire detective from Tomb of Dracula, Morbius, Ghost Rider (Danny Ketch) and Doctor Strange. This is a very different, though no less impressive, band of supernatural adventurers. While this new group certainly has their hands full trying to prevent the pending zombie apocalypse, Garth has brought the talking head of the Zombie Dimension’s Deadpool to his master, The Black Talon. Kudos to Van Lente for keeping a Dan Slott-like appreciation for Marvel history and bringing back this enigmatic villain whom I first encountered in Avengers #152, way back in 1976k when Wonder Man was supposedly resurrected from the dead. And Black Talon has, who’s plenty happy with his wealthy life has decided to make contact with a member of Norman Osborn’s Dark Reign Cabal to strike a deal that could render futile the desperate work of The Midnight Sons.

So, okay, this series now is extremely relevant. Not only has it come to the Marvel Universe but, with this issue, has tied right into Marvel Continuity. Add to this that this book is one big, glorious Marvel monster fest (well, minus some big names like Dracula, Frankenstein’s Monster, and others), Van Lente’s script already is spinning into what promises to be a tightly knitted and wildly intense story rendered with dark but stunning and gory effect by Kev Walker and, well, you’ve got a mini-series cranking on all cylinders. I have absolutely no desire to pick up the trades of volumes 1 & 2 and while I liked volume 3 it wasn’t enough to grab the HC that came out this week. This volume, though, may well be a different story and I most certainly am on board for what looks like a wild roller coaster of a ride. Shocked as I am to say this, this book is my co-pick of the week, along with Aaron and Garney’s Wolverine: Weapon X #1.

Dawg’s Reviews

Green Lantern #39
DC Comics
Written by Geoff Johns
Drawn by: Philip Tan

I think it is safe to assume at this point that most folks know about how excellent this title has been lately. If you don’t know it yet, I’d like to take this opportunity to tell you with the utmost respect, that I think you’ve been living a sheltered life. Green Lantern in my opinion is the best book that DC puts out monthly. Geoff Johns has a pen of gold and if I were DC I would sign him for life.

It’s pretty amazing that every issue of this series can be considered as build up to the crescendo of Blackest Night. Especially given how incredibly broad the scope was for Sinestro Corps war was.

The War with the Yellow Lanterns set motions into place that would lead to the forming of Lantern Corps from every color in the visible spectrum of light. We have seen the terrible Red Lanterns, whose existence stems from their rage. We have seen the incredibly powerful Blue Lanterns of hope, that while reliant on Green Lanterns power rings to fuel their immense power, the two in tandem are a force to be reckoned with. We all know about the Star Sapphires, whose twisted version of love power their rings. This issue we are introduced to the greedy and downright ugly Orange Lanterns fueled by the power of Avarice.

The Orange Lanterns have been dwelling in the Vega system, which is off limits to the Green Lantern Corps. Criminals and murderers live there, but long ago a bargain was struck with the Guardians of the Galaxy that would keep them and their Green Lanterns away. Another part of the deal would allow a being there to gain the power of the orange light. This is the leader of the Orange Corps, and most greedy creature in the galaxy is holed up: Larfleeze or “Agent Orange”.

In this issue the Controllers have come to the Vega system looking for the orange light with hopes of finding the means to control the universe. Not realizing that the Controllers no longer have any affiliation to the Guardians, Larfleeze sees this as a breach to the agreement and wages war on the Guardians for trying to take what is his.

Meanwhile Hal Jordan is reeling from having a Blue Ring of Hope on one hand in tandem with his Green Ring of Willpower on the other and the two feeding off each other, making him quite possibly the most powerful Lantern member in the Universe. Ganthet tells Hal, that he cannot get rid of the ring unless the ring loses all power, and from the sounds of it, it will not anytime soon. For Now Hal possesses the power of Will and Hope. (Keep in mind that Hal has also wore yellow, and red rings as well and you may see a plot point for Blackest Night)

Hal is whisked away to Oa and seen by the other Guardians as being tainted as they try to rid him of the Blue ring to no avail. This is right about the time that Larfleeze comes calling. It’s going to get really interesting isn’t it?

What else can be said about this title. I am incredibly sad to see Ivan Reis no longer handling the penciling chores. He has managed to own Green Lantern for a few year now, even after the impossible task of following Ethan Van Sciver. This is not to say that Philip Tan didn’t handle the art beautifully on this book, because he did. He brought incredibly detailed and well-rendered pencils and did a great job. I’m just saying that Ivan Reis has been a favorite of mine since he came on board and now he will be the impossible act to follow for Tan and later Mahnke. There is still time to get on board with this book, there are trades and back issues galore out there at Borders, and other book stores. Check it out.

Wolverine: Weapon X #1
Marvel Comics
Written by: Jason Aaron
Drawn by: Ron Garney

I have been extremely excited for this book to debut. Many people out there feel like there is already way too much Wolverine in their comics. I can see that… I can. Wolverine is a victim of his own incredible popularity. At any given month he will appear in as many as 5-10 books. Too much can be overkill. I will say this though that Wolverine is one of my favorite characters out there and I take his many appearances for what they are. To me it’s just entertainment folks. So when I learned about a new Wolverine title written by Jason Aaron and illustrated by Ron Garney, I think I passed out from excitement. Ron Garney has for a long time been a favorite penciler. The man can visually tell a story like no ones business. Jason Aaron has certainly been getting a lot of buzz lately as well because of his other incredible books he’s been writing, like Scalped for Vertigo and Ghost Rider for Marvel. Jason Aaron writing a Wolverine book just feels right to me though. It feels like he is coming home. He writes so much character into Wolverine. He gets Logan in a way that most writers don’t since the 80’s when Claremont was writing him so well. If I had to drop all other Wolverine titles today, this would be the one I kept in the pull, because of Jason Aaron. This is the characterization of Logan that I would want to read the most. The fact that we are getting Ron Garney on art here is a bonus. When the two were together for the “Get Mystique” arc in the regular Wolverine series, I reviewed and loved it every month and to have them back together again is a great thing.

Now… that having been said how will this book shine and find it’s own space out there? It will do it much the same way that the Invincible Iron Man book did from Fraction and Larocca. This is book for new readers of Wolverine and old readers alike. We are going back to Logan’s roots to tell stories about his present… to create its own continuity using new characters and familiar characters to tell kick ass stories. You don’t have to know everything else Logan has been up to follow this book. You just have to like Wolverine.

So as is turns out there are mercenaries in Columbia that are slaughtering entire villages for crooked scumbags in the Roxxon Corporation. It seems as though Roxxon has bought trade secrets and thereby the recipe from the Weapon X program to create their own adamantium super soldiers. The secrets were purchased somehow on the black market and an old friend and fellow Weapon X teammate comes to Logan to share the news: Maverick.

Maverick finds Logan is a foul mood after he handles a couple of thugs trying to mug a female reporter of the train, while he’s trying to sleep off some booze. It’s a brutal and yet hilarious scene that Aaron and Garney deliver what the tome of this book will be. We didn’t need to see anything more than this to know that this book will kick ass.

Maverick reveals that he’s been doing some digging and that Roxxon has bought secrets from Weapon X and are making their own soldiers in Columbia. Logan, always having a vested interest in his past of course dives in to investigate. He pays a visit to the facilities in which these super soldiers are being made and sees that this operation is bigger and therefore more disconcerting than he though as we pan back to see twenty or so immersion tanks like the one in which Logan was imbued with adamantium.

That’s it for the first issue. I only have one complaint if you can even call it that. It moved so quickly, that I felt there wasn’t enough. I wanted more and that’s just as much a compliment to the creative team as it could be a criticism. I wanted more… I can’t wait to see where this title goes; I have no doubt in my mind that I’ll be following this one regularly. It’s my pick of the week.

wktf
04-09-2009, 12:29 PM
Sam Wilson’s Reviews

Ultimate Wolverine Vs. Hulk #4
Marvel Comics
Written by: Damon Lindelof
Drawn by: Leinil Francis Yu

Ummm, so this book last came out in 2006 and the Ultimate U has changed a lot. Ultimatum is wrecking sh** and, well, that’s pretty much it. Oh yeah, Nick Fury isn’t even on the planet, or the Ultimate U anymore and he’s the one that got this book rolling initially, sending Wolverine in to do the job he couldn’t (kill the Hulk). Whatever though, this book is finally being completed and it was pretty kick a** when it first came out, so we’ll do a quick update of the first two issues and move on. Anyway, as I was saying Nick Fury calls Wolverine in for one purpose and one purpose only: find the Hulk, kill him, and keep it freakin’ quiet. Helping him out is Dr. Jennifer Walters, one of the lead scientists on the original super-soldier project that created the Hulk. Betty Banner is present as well, using her PR skills to cover up the Hulk’s resurgence as he makes his way across Europe and into Asia. Anyway, the Hulk has been sighted in Asia, and off Wolvie goes to whack him and hopefully have a good time doing it. Yeah, and he gets to spend time with the foxy Dr. Jennifer Walters (who’s not the She-Hulk in the ultimate universe, at least not yet, as for what they do with her that remains to be seen).

If you read this book when it first came out, you know Wolvie vs. Hulk is some crazy sh**. I mean that in the most complimentary way. Thus far we have seen a lot; a shadowy mission, foxy women and balls out action, and damned if I ain’t pleased with the way Ultimate Jennifer Walters is turning out. Anyway, last we saw Wolvie and Hulk (and Jennifer), Wolvie had finally caught up with Jadejaws and was going to get himself some payback for getting his a** kicked (and ripped in half) earlier, and instead of a fight he gets a cup of cocoa? Then in a series of flashbacks (sort of), we learned exactly how Wolverine came to get himself ripped in half, and we get to see the Hulk’s harem of foxy monk chicks (seriously) and Ultimate She-Hulk. In issue three we get the origin of Ultimate She-Hulk, and well. I was caught completely off guard. Was I a little disappointed? Yes, but I got over it pretty quick. I’d say more, but you really need to read it for yourself…

Leinil Yu is hands down my favorite comic artist putting out stuff right now, and seeing him draw the Hulk (and She-Hulk), well, that’s pretty much kick a** to an extreme level. Being a big fan of “Lost”, I’m cool with Lindelof. Seriously, I’m not even that mad took so long for the series to start back up. Yeah, they took She Hulk in a completely different direction than in the regular Marvel U, but the art and story are fantastic so I’ll get over it. I’m down with this book, down with the eventually trade, and seriously down with Ultimate She-Hulk. Word…

Deadpool: Suicide Kings #1
Marvel Comics
Written by: Mike Benson
Drawn by: Carlo Barberi

For those of you who have been sitting under a rock, Mike Benson is the hottest writer to be added to the Marvel Bullpen in the last few years. He’s completely turned around Moon Knight, making him the bad-a** we always knew he was capable of being. To clarify, Mike Benson is that guy who used to write “Entourage”, you know, that show on HBO that earned an Emmy award under Mike’s pen? Anyway, hot off the heels of last month’s “Deadpool: Games of Death” (also by Benson) one shot is “Suicide Kings”. In his own book, Deadpool has had his own problems lately. He pretty much singlehandedly ended the Skrull Invasion (sort of), and Norman Osborne took credit for it. Now he’s sent the Thunderbolts to kill him (yipes). I’m guessing that isn’t going to work out and a few of them will probably end up dead or severely fu**ed up. Anyway, in “Suicide Kings”, Wade Wilson (aka Deadpool in case you didn’t know) there are no Thunderbolts or Norman Osborne, Wade’s just picking up some side work. Side work that get’s him a sh** ton of trouble of course…

“Suicide Kings” starts out like a normal day for Deadpool, he tries to pick up some work, kills all the other mercenaries competing for the job, and lands a gig that could pay him a cool million. Instead he gets set up as a terrorist and finds himself in the middle of some sh** with Tombstone (that albino mob boss from Spider-Man) and the Punisher hot on his a**. Yeah. Just the beginning, but knowing Mike Benson things are going to get worse before they get better, and it’s on like donkey kong…

“Suicide Kings” is awesome. Mike Benson gets the ball rolling right away with Deadpool singing “My Mind’s Playing Tricks on Me” (old school Ghetto Boys hit from 1992, I mean seriously, how awesome is that reference?) and throwing Deadpool in the sh** like no other writer has before. Mike Benson is to Deadpool like peanut butter is to chocolate, no question. Carlo Barberi is top notch as well, his manga style suits this book perfectly. “Suicide Kings” is a welcome addition to the Deadpool cannon, and I’m down for it until the end. My pick of the week easily.

Dark Reign Hawkeye #1
Marvel Comics
Written by: Andy Diggle
Drawn by: Tom Raney
Cover by: Clint Langley

Andy Diggle has been on the comics scene for a minute now, and has recently just became Marvel Exclusive with “Thunderbolts”, and was just announced as taking over “Daredevil” was Ed Brubaker leaves. Diggle wrote one of my favourite comic series of the last five years, “The Losers” (update of the old DC war book) and it currently in development as a major motion picture. He also retconned Green Arrow in the recent “Green Arrow” year one, making him that little bi** with the booties into a total bad a** (at least in my opinion). Before he gets rolling on “Daredevil”, Marvel has him wetting his feet with “Hawkeye”. No, not Cline Barton, in case you missed it as of “Dark Avengers” issue one Hawkeye is now Bullseye, the psychopathic assassin who we last saw with the Thunderbolts. Yeah, Norman Osborne is in charge of the Marvel U, and sh** is being fu**ed up to say the least, and Bullseye as one of the Marvel U’s most classic, beloved (and should I say noble) heroes? Yeah, only Andy Diggle could pull this off…

Hawkeye starts out with the Dark Avengers (the ex-Thunderbolts) taking out a rogue hulkbuster. Hawkeye kills the man wearing the suit, and Norman Osborne lectures him on how they’re heroes now and have to be better than that. The irony of that statement is not lost on Bullseye, and he ignores Osborne and goes on the hunt to satiate his need to kill. I mean seriously, the guys a sociopath. He ends up doing something sort of heroic, but then lets all that nobility go and, well. This book is going to be pretty damn cool…

This is not a heroe’s tale. I’m doubting there is going to be any type of redemption here either. It’s really not even humorous. Bullseye is a villain, moreso than just a normal villan he’s a psychotic and a killer and doesn’t care. Andy Diggle paints that picture very well in the first issue and I think anything less wouldn’t be doing the character justice. I’m down with everything he does, and having Tom Raney with him, one of the most underrated artists of all time, well. Needless to say, I’m sold on this book. Pick it up, word.

Wktf’s Trade Review

SCREAMLAND
Image Comics
Written by: Harold Sipe
Art by: Hector Casanova
Introduction by: Jason Aaron
Cover Art: Hector Casanova

On Saturday, March 28th I went to the annual Planet Comicon in Kansas City and had the pleasure of spending a bit of time chatting with one of my favorite writers, Wizard’s Best Writer of 2008: Jason Aaron. Soft spoken, highly intelligent and all around awesome guy. During the course of our conversation my love of monsters, and the Universal Monsters happened to come up. He stopped me short and told me that I absolutely have to read “Screamland.” I’m sure the look I gave him conveyed, “Read, um, what…?” Jason pointed me toward where Harold Sipe, Screamland’s author, was sitting at the con near a stack of Screamland trades and urged me to meet Harold and pick up a copy, adding that he also wrote the Introduction to this trade. Yet another reason to pick it up! Harold, like Jason, was a soft spoke but energetic guy who demonstrated a lot of enthusiasm for his work and genuine appreciation of fan interest. After chatting with him as well I couldn’t help but pick up this trade, which both he and artist Hector Casanova signed, and Hector even drew a little sketch in my book for added measure! All that was left for me to read the darn thing. Fortunately, I was scheduled to fly to Baltimore the next day for a business trip so I had plenty of undisturbed time coming up right away.

To start, this book is a wildly humorous, bitingly satiric and, at times, deadly serious take on the good, old fashion monsters of movie yore: The Wolfman, The Mummy, Frankenstein’s Monster and, of course, Count Dracula. These iconic monsters not only are “alive” and well but living openly among the human population. They are true to their monster natures. So, The Monster is, indeed, a creature stitched together from dead men’s body parts, Dracula is a genuine vampire and The Wolfman is (or can be) a snarling beast. But they also are aging (except for Dracula who, of course, never ages) and washed up Hollywood screen stars, stars of their own monster movies from back in the nostalgic old movie days. They’re self-loathing, bitter, mildly depressed screen has-beens who are wallowing in their own self-pity and dealing with their problems in different ways. The Monster drinks Jack and Coke like a fish. The Wolfman is an overweight, drunken and lecherous buffoon. The Mummy…well, The Mummy has gone into seclusion and even is being sought out by the Feds for possible 9-11 conspiracy reasons (hey, he’s a middle easterner whose fled the US). The beauty of this story is how these creatures, after being separated for so long, come back together to try to recapture their old glory. How they relate to each other, their diffidence toward each other but, ultimately, the respect and support they led each other. One of the greatest characters in this book is Andrea Silverman, the monsters’ agent, who’s one appearance here gives her cred as one of today’s most original, funniest and strongest female character in comics.

This trade compiles SCREAMLAND #1-5 plus some cool special features and concept art. Plus, Jason Aaron’s hilarious introduction alone practically makes the $16.99 cover price worth it. Practically. But the value here absolutely is in the story and the art. Sipe’s got a wildly outrageous idea here that presents the monsters in a unique and surprising light. Our heroes are pitiful, sad, at times loathsome but, in the end, genuinely terrifying in a way that really pays off the entire story. Sipe does a great job of taking the reader down a path where certain expectations are created only to be challenged in a pretty startling way. And Casanova’s intentionally dreary paints set an otherworldly and constantly dark tone that conveys the sadness, anger and even menace Sipe’s story requires. The cover binding has a #1 at its base leading me to believe that Image may have another installment of Sipe and Casanova’s characters in the works. I highly recommend this engrossing, fun and intense trade. Seriously, go out and buy it. Or, to work off Jason Aaron’s rocking introduction, if this book’s good enough for the Best Writer of 2008 to sing it’s praises, then what the hell is your problem? Hmmm…?

Kdawg59
04-09-2009, 01:46 PM
Joe I didn't get time to look at Cap & MI:13 yet... but I am excited to...

And from what I was thumbing through of Dark Reign Hawkeye yesterday... I would say that looked pretty awesome too. I really enjoyed the books this week...

Kdawg59
04-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Also Joe... so where do you think they are heading In Captain America with things? They are teasing how important these issues are... what's your theory???

thecallahan
04-09-2009, 02:26 PM
Man, I didn't know Jason Aaron's Wolverine came out, I hope my shop still has it. I only picked up GL and Captain Britain, both awesome reads!

And Joe, Cornell is one of the writers for Dr Who if you didn't already know.

Jesse321
04-09-2009, 02:41 PM
WHAT, WHAT, WHAT?!?!?

http://www.geocities.com/clarkanimations/SouthPark05-KylesMom.gif

Issue 39 of Green Lantern NOT the pick of the week!?!?!?

BLASPHEMY!!!

Primal
04-09-2009, 02:52 PM
Larfleeze was awesome in GL!

Keith, what did you think of his constant "Liar! Mine! Go away!" comments throughout the issue? Awesome wasnt it? :buttrock:

Jesse321
04-09-2009, 02:54 PM
I loved the fact that when Scar touched the blue ring, it said "you have no hope" :thumbs2:

wktf
04-09-2009, 03:00 PM
...And Joe, Cornell is one of the writers for Dr Who if you didn't already know.

I didn't. Thanks for the info.

wktf
04-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Also Joe... so where do you think they are heading In Captain America with things? They are teasing how important these issues are... what's your theory???

Well, Marvel's been running a Captain America tease which is a topic on this forum already...

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=87360

...and they're teasing issue #600 as being both a pivotal issue and having the biggest plot twist since Cap #25.

So, my guess? They're bringing back Steve Rogers. Ah...but will he be Cap after he comes back? Not sure about that one....

Kdawg59
04-09-2009, 03:43 PM
Larfleeze was awesome in GL!

Keith, what did you think of his constant "Liar! Mine! Go away!" comments throughout the issue? Awesome wasnt it? :buttrock:

I loved it.. I think Johns is really doing great capturing these different corps... I love Larfleeze... what a great character...

wktf
04-09-2009, 03:44 PM
So, if I've only read Rebirth and Sinestro Corps War, how lost will I be picking up GL now?

Kdawg59
04-09-2009, 03:50 PM
I loved the fact that when Scar touched the blue ring, it said "you have no hope" :thumbs2:

So do we all think Hal will possess one of every ring by the end? Become a white Lantern?

Joe I would say no matter what you will be a bit confused... but it wouldn't take you long to get up to speed just knowing that there are a lot of Lantern Corps now fighting each other...

Jesse321
04-09-2009, 03:53 PM
So do we all think Hal will possess one of every ring by the end? Become a white Lantern?

That's too easy, I think that someone will definitely be a White Lantern, but it won't be Hal ... it has to be someone beyond reproach to weild that kind of power, and it has to be someone we're not expecting ... my guess would be Mogo ... he's the most centered of all the Lanterns.

thecallahan
04-09-2009, 03:53 PM
Try and pick up say the last 3 or so issues and the Rage of the Red Lanterns one shot just for some more back story to the coming event but if you don't, you'll be fine.

Jesse321
04-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Joe, this is a series not to be missed .. honestly it's the best book on the market bar none IMHO.

Kdawg59
04-09-2009, 04:01 PM
Try and pick up say the last 3 or so issues and the Rage of the Red Lanterns one shot just for some more back story to the coming event but if you don't, you'll be fine.

I agree... if you can pick up 37-39 and the rage of the red lanterns one shot... you will pretty much be up to speed... the arc that came before was an elaborate... but not OVERLY necessary origin story of Hal, Sinestro... and by default Atrocitus... nothing too incredibly new here...

4 issues Joe...

protector2814
04-09-2009, 04:07 PM
Thanks to the reviewers.

My word...how much fun was Marvel Zombies 4 #1. I haven't seen a collection of old-school Marvel Monsters like that in years. What I loved even more then seeing them was the respect they were given by Lente. He gets it. The Creatures are cooler then hell and deserve to be taken out and dusted off.
Simon Garth the Zombie looked great and just kept walking through everything, Morbius was the bad-a$$ he should be, Son of Satan with his unsettling laughter was nicely played and my Werewolf was unleashed like the mad dog he was born to be. A very impressive kick-off and one that, I pray leads to the gang being more part of the MU. Greg Land, as we learned with Creatures on the Loose a few years back, can draw a Monster. He should do any and all Marvel Monster covers.
Joe, I went back and have picked up and read all the Captain Britains with the Dracula arc. Your right, they are good although are a far cry from our 70's Dracula books. Still, I'm digging the Moon Base, Blade, all the cool occult guest stars...that being said, I want Dracula back where he belongs; in his own title, written as horror with an amazing artist.

Thanks for the tip on Screamland, I'll be looking for it.

wktf
04-09-2009, 04:14 PM
...that being said, I want Dracula back where he belongs; in his own title, written as horror with an amazing artist.

Thanks for the tip on Screamland, I'll be looking for it.

I'm totally with you there. Imagine David Finch's being the regular artist on a regular Tomb of Dracula book! And Dracula back in his more traditional garb with he large bat shaped collar and thick, long cloak!

Like with the MAX Werewolf by Night series, I get Dracula's being updated for a newer, non-70s crowd, but his garb and general appearance this past issue was a bit too much of a diversion from his traditional Marvel portrayal to me.

Yes, pick up Screamland! Great, though different, trade!

The Dark Knight
04-11-2009, 04:42 PM
Positive review of BFTC... i droped it at issue #1, the art is pretty good but meh i'm too resentful to enjoy it. They sent Batman to prehistoric times and everyting... i can't see any decent way to bring him back, it will be even dumber.

And nothing to do with the current books or anything but (well, whenever this stoped me anyway), i'm resentful for JSA :P , Geoff Johns made the book so accessible and fresh by bringing all the new blood. Builded a great dynamic and then just droped the book... it was like planting a little tree and 5 minuts later going like meh and kicking it.

rilynil
04-12-2009, 03:22 AM
Great job, guys!

I thought Dark Reign Hawkeye was some seriously twisted fun. I'm jazzed about this miniseries. I really liked Wolverine: Weapon X, too.

marvelboi77
04-13-2009, 10:53 PM
Not that I am buying Ult Hulk vs. Wolverine. But it really bothers me, when people say it's so good I don't mind the 3 year wait..:thumbsdow