PDA

View Full Version : Supanova Sydney and Perth (June/July 2009)

Royd
04-18-2009, 03:07 AM
Just got back from a local comics/cards/toys fair where I handed out a few hundred Supanova flyers for the Sydney and Perth shows so I'm sure it's okay to mention the new guests here :)

You already know about Ray Park and Dirk Benedict et al but we now have Richard Hatch (original Battlestar Galactica, current Battlestar Galactica) joining the film and television guests!

And, for the comic fans, in addition to Dave (Watchmen) Gibbons, Nicola Scott and others, we now have in the roster, the highly talented artist Tim Sale! Tim's work has been seen on the Heroes television show as well as books such as Superman For All Seasons, Batman: Dark Victory, Batman: The Long Halloween, Hulk Gray etc.

I'm looking forward to meeting both new guests, especially Tim Sale who with Dave Gibbons are artists whose work I've enjoyed for some years. Best,

Royd

fred flintstone
04-18-2009, 09:31 AM
Just got back from a local comics/cards/toys fair where I handed out a few hundred Supanova flyers for the Sydney and Perth shows so I'm sure it's okay to mention the new guests here :)

You already know about Ray Park and Dirk Benedict et al but we now have Richard Hatch (original Battlestar Galactica, current Battlestar Galactica) joining the film and television guests!

And, for the comic fans, in addition to Dave (Watchmen) Gibbons, Nicola Scott and others, we now have in the roster, the highly talented artist Tim Sale! Tim's work has been seen on the Heroes television show as well as books such as Superman For All Seasons, Batman: Dark Victory, Batman: The Long Halloween, Hulk Gray etc.

I'm looking forward to meeting both new guests, especially Tim Sale who with Dave Gibbons are artists whose work I've enjoyed for some years. Best,

Royd

you are sooooo tempting me now:banghead:

Rocket
04-18-2009, 09:15 PM
Tim Sale?!?!!?!?

fred flintstone
04-18-2009, 09:37 PM
Tim Sale?!?!!?!?

i know :confused2 :banghead:

Rocket
04-18-2009, 09:53 PM
i know :confused2 :banghead:

:banghead:

fred flintstone
04-18-2009, 09:56 PM
:banghead:

plane trip?:sly2:

Rocket
04-18-2009, 10:10 PM
plane trip?:sly2:

If we could be sure of some pieces....:p

fred flintstone
04-18-2009, 10:14 PM
If we could be sure of some pieces....:p

if we can't we could ask royd LOL

hey he wants to m ake sure we are still on for yum cha next sunday iam in;)

Rocket
04-18-2009, 10:21 PM
if we can't we could ask royd LOL

hey he wants to m ake sure we are still on for yum cha next sunday iam in;)

Oh crap I haven't replied to his PM! I am 50% at the moment. I have a 50th that day, so it depends on when I can get away....will have to play by ear on whether I can get to you guys then.....

fred flintstone
04-18-2009, 10:25 PM
Oh crap I haven't replied to his PM! I am 50% at the moment. I have a 50th that day, so it depends on when I can get away....will have to play by ear on whether I can get to you guys then.....

it would be nice if you could make it ;)
whats involved in the 50th?

Rocket
04-18-2009, 10:39 PM
it would be nice if you could make it ;)
whats involved in the 50th?

Not too sure...will find out ;)

Royd
04-19-2009, 12:54 AM
Just got back from doing a trim of greenery at my place and my folks place for a green verge collection and then had to change a tyre!

No problem if you already have something on, I just thought it would be cool to meet in person :) Hopefully at least one of you can make it.

Tim Sale will be at both Supanovas Sydney and Perth. I understand if you guys find it cheaper to go to Sydney but you're definitely welcome here! Best,

Royd

BoloMusashi
04-19-2009, 09:24 PM
Was hoping to attend Supernova this year but I have a feeling I'll be in Colorado for work.

Justin
04-19-2009, 10:10 PM

Royd

What a line up!!! :buttrock:

Hmmmm... :confused2

AsOneDead
04-20-2009, 05:18 AM
Can any of you guys tell me how the art work thing works? You just tell them what you want and they'll draw it?

Rocket
04-20-2009, 05:39 AM
Can any of you guys tell me how the art work thing works? You just tell them what you want and they'll draw it?

Sort of depends mate. For someone like Tim Sale, I dare say the best you will get is a quick sketch. Shouldn't be too expensive, and yeah he will do whatever you're after is you ask nicely, but if it's not a well known character you may want to take a few reference pics so the artist knows what you'd like ;)

AsOneDead
04-20-2009, 06:06 AM
You know what the price range usually is for the artist alley dudes?

Rocket
04-20-2009, 06:15 AM
You know what the price range usually is for the artist alley dudes?

Usually range from 15 bucks to maybe 25 for the "lesser" artists. Someone like Sale you'd be looking at 200-300 I would think. You may get lucky and he may do sketches for free like Jim Lee did....

Nicola Scott was 50 bucks a head shot and they were excellent. She's really friendly also, as most of the artists are.....

AsOneDead
04-20-2009, 06:36 AM
Just one more question :D How big are the pieces?

Rocket
04-20-2009, 06:38 AM
Just one more question :D How big are the pieces?

Varies. But essentially the more you pay, the bigger the size ;)

Rocket
04-20-2009, 06:41 AM
Check out this thread mate, it's some of us SF Aussies at the Melbourne Con a few weeks back. I can tell you the prices of these sorts of stuff if you'd like ;)

http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=86897&page=2

Avenger
04-20-2009, 06:53 AM
Varies. But essentially the more you pay, the bigger the size ;)

:confused2

AsOneDead
04-20-2009, 07:15 AM
:laugh: Thanks for the info Rocket

Royd
04-20-2009, 08:22 AM
Just chiming in to add that Tim's website shows how he handles con sketches in the US using his "fastpass" method - http://www.timsale1.com/conventions.html#sketches

However, I've found that the US artists seem to do things differently here in comparison to the US cons (including pricing which is usually cheaper, probably due to different expectations/budgets). As a result, Tim may handle things very differently in Oz.

I know that Tim occasionally does private commissions (priced accordingly) but I wasn't able to try and arrange/afford one this time around as I've already arranged one with Dave Gibbons and can't do both :) Best,

Royd
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=111

mwf6171
04-25-2009, 01:34 AM
What is Gibbons going to be charging for sketches? Would love a Rorschack(sp?)

Royd
04-28-2009, 08:34 AM
Just got back from a trip to Melbourne and saw your query. I'll try and find out what Dave expects to charge for sketches at Supanova. These are con "quickie" sketches not full figure detailed pieces :)

Best,

Royd

What is Gibbons going to be charging for sketches? Would love a Rorschack(sp?)

mwf6171
04-28-2009, 05:03 PM
Just got back from a trip to Melbourne and saw your query. I'll try and find out what Dave expects to charge for sketches at Supanova. These are con "quickie" sketches not full figure detailed pieces :)

Best,

Royd

Thanks heaps!!

Royd
05-25-2009, 07:49 AM
First up, new guests including:

Rachelle Lefevre (Twilight) (Sydney only)
Gil Birmingham (Twilight) (Perth only)
Herb Jefferson Jr. (Battlestar Galactica Classic)
Stanislav Ianevski (Viktor Krum from Harry Potter) and...........

Karl Urban (LOTR, Bourne Supremacy, Pathfinder, Chronicles of Riddick and most recently, Star Trek!)

A great line-up!

In answer to an earlier query, I heard back from Dave Gibbons who said that he often does a "quickie" Rorschach for free when book signing but doesn't tend to sit down for extended sketch sessions.

That's also what Howard Chaykin and Joe Jusko said last year (that they wouldn't be sketching) but they changed their mind when they saw that the Aussie cons were arranged a little differently and fan expectations were not so demanding.

As a result, they decided to sketch and charged around $25.00 for loose sketches and head-shots. Hopefully Dave will feel the same way :) Best,

Royd

mwf6171
05-25-2009, 11:49 AM
First up, new guests including:

Rachelle Lefevre (Twilight) (Sydney only)
Gil Birmingham (Twilight) (Perth only)
Herb Jefferson Jr. (Battlestar Galactica Classic)
Stanislav Ianevski (Viktor Krum from Harry Potter) and...........

Karl Urban (LOTR, Bourne Supremacy, Pathfinder, Chronicles of Riddick and most recently, Star Trek!)

A great line-up!

In answer to an earlier query, I heard back from Dave Gibbons who said that he often does a "quickie" Rorschach for free when book signing but doesn't tend to sit down for extended sketch sessions.

That's also what Howard Chaykin and Joe Jusko said last year (that they wouldn't be sketching) but they changed their mind when they saw that the Aussie cons were arranged a little differently and fan expectations were not so demanding.

As a result, they decided to sketch and charged around $25.00 for loose sketches and head-shots. Hopefully Dave will feel the same way :) Best,

Royd
Thanks mate!! When it gets closer, let me know and I will paypal you some funds if that is OK with you! :)

Royd
06-23-2009, 12:28 AM
Supanova Sydney this week-end and then, next week-end, my hometown con Supanova Perth - woohoo!

Just heard back from Dave Gibbons who said that he's completed my Rorschach commission which made a very happy little vegemite indeed :)

Michael - Still not sure what Dave intends to do as regards sketching at Sydney and Perth although he did say that he'll do freebie head sketches in sketchbooks and TPBs. He said he didn't intend to do paid sketches but who knows what'll happen on the day. Best,

Royd

mwf6171
06-23-2009, 01:34 AM
No worries mate! I appreciate you looking into it for me!! Enjoy the shows!!

Michael

halfthai
06-29-2009, 06:23 AM
Went to Supanova on the Saturday, and got this from Tim Sale.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a112/timsale/006magneto-lukecopy.jpg
He really didn't want to draw Magneto, but he still gave it a go (using Jim Lee Magneto cover from X-Men #1 for reference) and absolutely smashed it. One of the nicest pro's I've ever met, totally worth seeing if you're going to Supanova Perth next week.

Avenger
06-29-2009, 06:30 AM
Very nice. :thumbs2:

Rocket
06-29-2009, 06:33 AM
That's just awesome man, I'm so jealous!!!

Royd
06-29-2009, 09:09 AM
Very cool indeed mate - congrats! I saw a scan of your sweet Magneto piece at Tim's forum where he posted pics of all the sketches he completed at Supanova Sydney.

Now to see if I can arrange a sketch with Tim at Supanova Perth :) Best,

Royd

Went to Supanova on the Saturday, and got this from Tim Sale.

<snip>

He really didn't want to draw Magneto, but he still gave it a go (using Jim Lee Magneto cover from X-Men #1 for reference) and absolutely smashed it. One of the nicest pro's I've ever met, totally worth seeing if you're going to Supanova Perth next week.

Royd
06-29-2009, 09:18 AM
Hey Michael,

Just to let you know that a member of Tim Sale's forum mentioned that Dave Gibbons had a sign up saying "no sketches" at Supanova Sydney. That said, Dave apparently did a small number of "quickie" sketches but that was it. Sorry mate. Best,

Royd

halfthai
06-29-2009, 10:34 AM
I saw the sign for "No Sketches" but when I asked my mate who works Kings (the shop running the Dave Gibbons table), he said that I should just ask 'cause the sign was put there by the Supanova organisers and Dave probably wouldn't care.

When he was signing in the morning, I asked about a quick sketch but he said to ask later in the day when it's not busy. I came back in the afternoon when there was only 1 person in the queue and he did a quick Rorschach head sketch. Another person after me asked for Hal Jordan, and he did it, but warned that it would be really quick and crummy, and that he normally would take the time if it was a paid commission. Dave did seem to be a bit annoyed by the request, but I chalk that up to the long trip to Sydney then going straight into the con.

In Perth, I recommend being polite as possible and letting him choose who to sketch.

Royd
06-29-2009, 12:30 PM
Hey Luke (?),

No problem mate, I've been corresponding with Dave since the beginning of the year and he's brought my paid commission with him for delivery to me at Supanova Perth :) I'm really looking forward to seeing it and to catching up with Dave in person.

I'll most likely be seeing him before the con starts so it should be a lot of fun! Best,

Royd
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=111 (original comic art collection)

I saw the sign for "No Sketches" but when I asked my mate who works Kings (the shop running the Dave Gibbons table), he said that I should just ask 'cause the sign was put there by the Supanova organisers and Dave probably wouldn't care.

When he was signing in the morning, I asked about a quick sketch but he said to ask later in the day when it's not busy. I came back in the afternoon when there was only 1 person in the queue and he did a quick Rorschach head sketch. Another person after me asked for Hal Jordan, and he did it, but warned that it would be really quick and crummy, and that he normally would take the time if it was a paid commission. Dave did seem to be a bit annoyed by the request, but I chalk that up to the long trip to Sydney then going straight into the con.

In Perth, I recommend being polite as possible and letting him choose who to sketch.

Royd
07-01-2009, 12:17 PM
Met Tim Sale and Dave Gibbons in person tonight for the first time while they were at dinner! Tim was with Diana and Dave was with his wife, Helen.

I was introduced by my dinner partners and had the distinction of being insulted by Tim when he saw my Watchmen "smiley" badge, calling me (in a friendly fashion) a "bootlicker" - LOL!

I then sat down at my table with Ben Templesmith (30 Days of Night), Gil Birmingham (Twilight), Spike Spencer (voice actor), Felicity (Supanova), Missy (Supanova) and Dion (Supanova).

Winery tour with the guests tomorrow and the con doesn't start till Fri! :)

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/Royd2007/IMG_1749.jpg

Avenger
07-01-2009, 06:53 PM
Very cool Royd :thumbs2:

Rocket
07-02-2009, 02:21 AM
Awesome Royd, you've done it again mate! I'm super jealous!!!

halfthai
07-02-2009, 09:52 AM
That's awesome. make sure you post it ASAP, I have to see that.

(Yeah, I'm a Luke.)

Hey Luke (?),

No problem mate, I've been corresponding with Dave since the beginning of the year and he's brought my paid commission with him for delivery to me at Supanova Perth :) I'm really looking forward to seeing it and to catching up with Dave in person.

I'll most likely be seeing him before the con starts so it should be a lot of fun! Best,

Royd
http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=111 (original comic art collection)

Royd
07-02-2009, 10:47 AM
Okay here are a few photos from the pre-con wine tour (what happened on the wine tour, stays on the wine tour ;))! I've also included a photo (scan later) of my AWESOME Watchmen/Rorschach commission by Dave Gibbons!

L-R - Gil Birmingham (Twilight), Spike Spencer (voice actor), Me, Dave Gibbons
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/Royd2007/IMG_1756.jpg

L-R - Tim Sale, Me, (The Delightful) Diana
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/Royd2007/IMG_1768.jpg

Rorschach Commission by Dave Gibbons
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/Royd2007/IMG_1799.jpg

Tim, Dave, Helen, Diana, Gil et al made it a very memorable day indeed! I'm not sure I'm going to survive to the start of the con tomorrow night. Best,

Royd

mwf6171
07-02-2009, 02:43 PM
Rorschach Commission by Dave Gibbons
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/Royd2007/IMG_1799.jpg

Mate, that is AWESOME!!! :eek: I am going to fly to Oz and take that home with me!!!!
Looks like you all had a grand time on the wine tour!!! Can you adopt me!?!?!?!? :tounge:

:D

Royd
07-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Thanks Michael, glad you enjoyed the Dave Gibbons piece - I'm obviously very happy with it! :)

If you ever make it down here, I'd be happy to show off the art collection and the town!

fred flintstone
07-02-2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks Michael, glad you enjoyed the Dave Gibbons piece - I'm obviously very happy with it! :)

If you ever make it down here, I'd be happy to show off the art collection and the town!

...and i can vouch first hand that royd is exactly like his photos and his smile is infectious- and hes a top bloke ;)

mwf6171
07-02-2009, 10:57 PM

...and i can vouch first hand that royd is exactly like his photos and his smile is infectious- and hes a top bloke ;)
Well, I am scheduled to finish up my teacher certification course work Spring 2011 and I have been telling my wife that we are going to celebrate by taking a three week trip to Oz!!! She looked at me sideways, but I am not giving her a say in the matter!! :eplus2: So, when this happens I will definitely try to meet as many of you as possible and take in a footy game or two!!! :D

Royd
07-06-2009, 08:58 PM

Mate, I wish you could have been here - it was a blast! Meanwhile here are some more pics from Supanova Perth, I'll eventually be uploading to my CAF gallery a larger selection -

Tim Sale giving a young fan and budding artist a few tips

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/Royd2007/IMG_1812.jpg

Doc Strange turned up for the show!

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/Royd2007/IMG_1810.jpg

Royd
07-06-2009, 09:00 PM
Supanova wrap podcast (Diana, Tim Sale, Jake (Anakin Skywalker) Lloyd and Chris

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/Royd2007/IMG_1864.jpg

Supanova wrap podcast (Helen Gibbons, Dave Gibbons, Quinnie, Diana)

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o281/Royd2007/IMG_1865.jpg

fred flintstone
07-07-2009, 04:53 AM
now i know why you smile a lot:wink2:

Royd
07-07-2009, 06:01 AM
Hahaha, wait till you see the other photos which I'll be uploading to my CAF gallery shortly :)

now i know why you smile a lot:wink2: