PDA

View Full Version : Danbury Mint Barad-dur Arrives!!!

Zurbaran1
04-16-2005, 10:53 AM
The DM Barad-dur just arrived! I don't have time right now to actually take it out of the box and set up the Eye but I did snap some quick pics for you all. It's 13 inches tall and just from the quick look I really like it. We could have done without the nameplate but it's not nearly as offensive as it could have been. It is not removable as may have been stated elsewhere. The Eye is removable and you can see it by itself in the upper right corner on one of the pics. This piece will definitley do until and if Sideshow decides to do one.

Collection King 13
04-16-2005, 10:55 AM
Thats looks good... How much was it?

Zurbaran1
04-16-2005, 10:58 AM
Thats looks good... How much was it?

Pretty darn cheap: $99

Collection King 13
04-16-2005, 10:59 AM
Pretty darn cheap: $99
Not bad...

Boerboel
04-16-2005, 11:21 AM
That does look good.....must resist.Come on,put that freakin' eye in already.I take it that it is battery operated?

Bullseye
04-16-2005, 11:23 AM
How does it compare to SS pieces?

Zurbaran1
04-16-2005, 12:00 PM
That does look good.....must resist.Come on,put that freakin' eye in already.I take it that it is battery operated?

Yes, two or three AA batteries. There is a tiny LED at the top and you rest the Eye over it. I think it will look cool.

Zurbaran1
04-16-2005, 12:02 PM
How does it compare to SS pieces?

At first glance it stacks up quite well. I haven't taken it out to look at the entire piece but the detail looks excellent. I do have the Orthanc piece right here so at some point I'll take it out and put the two of them side by side. Barad-dur is a bigger piece (13" high), not by much though.

Boerboel
04-16-2005, 12:05 PM
Its kinda hard to tell from the pics if the paint is good.The middle pic looks good,the others are a little dark.It looks good so....is it?

galactus
04-16-2005, 12:09 PM
Yes, two or three AA batteries. There is a tiny LED at the top and you rest the Eye over it. I think it will look cool.

I can't imagine the look in your WIFE'S eyes when another package arrived. Sauron would probably be an easier foe at this point :laugh: :laugh:

Sniper
04-16-2005, 01:38 PM
where is the link to see the offer

Ghost
04-16-2005, 01:39 PM
Sweet deal Zurb! I'm glad it's actually kickass and compares well with SS quality. I can't wait to get mine in.

Daredevil
04-16-2005, 01:49 PM
Very nice. Your wife must be a saint for putting up with this LOTR Craziness. :D

Wayne Industries
04-16-2005, 05:44 PM
nice pickup....I'd like to see that "EYE" too when you get a chance

Zurbaran1
04-17-2005, 12:10 PM
Ok, I took Barad out of the box last night, popped in three AA batteries and fired up the Eye. Took some more pics which I am not crazy about but they will give you an idea. I really like this piece a lot. It's got a ton of detail and the lighted Eye is not at all cheesy. The Eye slides into place. You can see the LCD bulb sticking out a bit at the top there. The colors alternate from a red to a greenish hue. Looks great in the dark. The Eye is lit in these pics but the flash kind of kills it. I'm going to take some pics with the Nightshot feature on my digicam and see if it shows the effect better. The paint job isn't bad though no doubt it can be improved by some Paintmaster touch up. The lava at the base is also very cool.

Zurbaran1
04-17-2005, 12:11 PM
A few more

RickDTM
04-17-2005, 12:14 PM
This piece has that "love / hate" feel to it. Some on the SShow Freaks board despise it, but I think it's pretty cool! The colors are a little funky it seems, but nothing that couldn't be remedied. The glowing lava effect is really nice....Looking forward to the night shots of the Eye.

Boerboel
04-17-2005, 12:20 PM
It looks pretty darn cool to me.The nightshot pics should be cool too.I'm still on the fence on this one for now.

Ghost
04-17-2005, 12:58 PM
Zurb, hows the durability of the piece? Any breaking points or places that look like they're fragile? And the packing job as well. Oh and any pics of the box? :D Had to ask. Also if you take pics with nightshot you'll get that green nightvision look in them. Have you tried taking a shot without flash at all?

Wayne Industries
04-17-2005, 01:50 PM
This piece has that "love / hate" feel to it. Some on the SShow Freaks board despise it, but I think it's pretty cool! The colors are a little funky it seems, but nothing that couldn't be remedied. The glowing lava effect is really nice....Looking forward to the night shots of the Eye.

kinda obvious that some of these guys would hate it... :laugh: I'm sure anything that's not made by Sideshow wouldn't be getting two thumbs up

Comicboy
04-17-2005, 03:57 PM
Over all I'd have to say it looks cool. The LED of Sauron kinda bugs me though, wish it wasnt sticking up so high. I should be getting mine pretty soon.

Zurbaran1
04-17-2005, 08:39 PM
Zurb, hows the durability of the piece? Any breaking points or places that look like they're fragile? And the packing job as well. Oh and any pics of the box? :D Had to ask. Also if you take pics with nightshot you'll get that green nightvision look in them. Have you tried taking a shot without flash at all?.

Yeah, you're right. I realized that after I posted. I'll have to pull out the tripod and take a long exposure without the flash.

Zurbaran1
04-17-2005, 08:39 PM
Over all I'd have to say it looks cool. The LED of Sauron kinda bugs me though, wish it wasnt sticking up so high. I should be getting mine pretty soon..

Yeah it does stick up a little bit. If it really bugs you you can just pull out the LED and presto problem solved.

Ghost
04-17-2005, 10:02 PM

Yeah, you're right. I realized that after I posted. I'll have to pull out the tripod and take a long exposure without the flash.

"Zurb, hows the durability of the piece? Any breaking points or places that look like they're fragile? And the packing job as well. Oh and any pics of the box?"

:p

Zurbaran1
04-18-2005, 07:31 AM
Ghost, the piece appears very durable. There are a couple of spots which look like they would be good candidates for a break but it isn't a fragile piece. I'm pretty sure DM does not use polystone. It's packed very well and I got it in one piece (surprise!). You don't want to see a picture of the box. It's just a plain white box marked "Fragile: Handle with care. No artwork on it. It opens right to the styrofoam packing holding the statue. No box within a box here.

Skulpturen
04-18-2005, 10:14 AM
Zurb, thank you for the Pix!
Wow! MUST HAVE THIS ... NOW!

Where can I get this? Does anybode ship overseas?

Is it a limited/numbered edition?

Zurbaran1
04-18-2005, 10:32 AM
It will be limited as they will only make these for a certain period and then stop. I'm not sure if they are numbered. The piece does not come with a number on the base but they do send you a certificate of authenticity with your name printed on it. I'll have to check if the certificate includes a specific number.

Ghost
04-18-2005, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the info Zurb!!! Are you gonna frame all your certificates of authenticities?!?! Haha that would be an interesting wall of plaques.

Zurbaran1
04-18-2005, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the info Zurb!!! Are you gonna frame all your certificates of authenticities?!?! Haha that would be an interesting wall of plaques.

Nah, it would make for total boredom. SS doesn't really give you a CA anyway. It's more like an advertisement if you ask me and that's when it's included in the box.

Danno
04-18-2005, 04:03 PM
That looks awesome Zurb! Congrats on the new piece!

Comicboy
04-20-2005, 03:03 PM
Got mine today! Wow, nice piece! Do they know how to attach an envelope to a box or what?! Alot lighter than it looks too. Incredibly detailed, colors are all over the map on this one though, nothing one of the masters couldn't fix. COA issue, why do they put your name on it? "The Danbury Mint hereby attests that James Keach is a registered owner of Barad-dur..." So does that mean we all own timeshares? Barad-dur is fabulous this time of year I've heard, but if you go, don't drink the water! And please, if you should happen to go to the top, don't poke the EYE, he really hates that.

RickDTM
04-20-2005, 04:37 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Jerseydevil
04-20-2005, 11:01 PM
Got mine today! Wow, nice piece! Do they know how to attach an envelope to a box or what?! Alot lighter than it looks too. Incredibly detailed, colors are all over the map on this one though, nothing one of the masters couldn't fix. COA issue, why do they put your name on it? "The Danbury Mint hereby attests that James Keach is a registered owner of Barad-dur..." So does that mean we all own timeshares? Barad-dur is fabulous this time of year I've heard, but if you go, don't drink the water! And please, if you should happen to go to the top, don't poke the EYE, he really hates that.

Now that was freakin' funny...

Boerboel
04-22-2005, 05:10 PM
After further review,I must say it is pretty darn cool in person.Sure the paint scheme may be a little goofy with all the different colors,but overall I'd say it is well worth the $.