PDA

View Full Version : Chrysler files for bankruptcy

nbr3bagshotrow
04-30-2009, 12:47 PM
http://www.marke----ch.com/news/story/chrysler-finally-lands-bankruptcy/story.aspx?guid=%7BD2AD966E%2D9395%2D4ABC%2DAA9A%2D4AD9162D4BFE%7D&dist=TNMostRead

Alex655321
04-30-2009, 01:06 PM
The official said he expects the bankruptcy, which will be filed in New York, to last between 30 and 60 days and that the process won't affect Chrysler's day-to-day business of selling cars and covering warranties.

That part makes me feel better. http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l52/alex655321_2006/smileys/others-134.gif

tedmic
04-30-2009, 01:17 PM
Who buys american cars?

riderV3
04-30-2009, 01:44 PM
People lose their jobs and the CEO gets away with his pocket full.

lord odin
04-30-2009, 01:45 PM
People lose their jobs and the CEO gets away with his pcoket full.
It's the american dream.:laugh:

riderV3
04-30-2009, 01:48 PM

And it came true.

Babytoxie
04-30-2009, 02:04 PM

You got it!

nbr3bagshotrow
04-30-2009, 02:07 PM
People lose their jobs and the CEO gets away with his pocket full.

Not to mention what the existing stockholders have lost.

Jesse321
04-30-2009, 02:12 PM
Wasn't there a deal in the works for Fiat to buy out Chrysler? Or was that Dodge?

nbr3bagshotrow
04-30-2009, 02:12 PM
Wasn't there a deal in the works for Fiat to buy out Chrysler? Or was that Dodge?

Fiat gets 20%

risingstar
04-30-2009, 02:55 PM
I think we're seeing Capitalism implode... If this continues, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see people starting to hunt down these million dollar bonus grabbing execs. I don't see a happy ending for a number of these "untouchable" types as their greed is now effecting thousands of lives.

lord odin
04-30-2009, 03:32 PM
I think we're seeing Capitalism implode... If this continues, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see people starting to hunt down these million dollar bonus grabbing execs. I don't see a happy ending for a number of these "untouchable" types as their greed is now effecting thousands of lives.
That's what a passport is for.:wink2:

Ink
04-30-2009, 03:45 PM
why don't they keep making cars no one wants :rolleyes2 that's what got them in this mess

protector2814
04-30-2009, 03:46 PM
If they had only brought back the LeBaron Wagon...money in the bank.

http://cache.jalopnik.com/assets/resources/2008/07/79_TownAndCountry.jpg

Babytoxie
04-30-2009, 03:59 PM
That is one sweet ride... :DJsmile:

Seriously.

protector2814
04-30-2009, 07:31 PM
That is one sweet ride... :DJsmile:

Seriously.

For Real. My Dad bought nothing but LeBaron's for a while. Just look at that hood ornament...get hit by that wagon and you'd remember every time you looked at the brand on your chest.

What ever happened to the station wagon? W/ 3 kids, I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Minivans just don't do it for me.

Babytoxie
04-30-2009, 07:57 PM
We have a 2003 Passat wagon, which I guess is pretty close. Great car, very reliable. I'd buy another.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/rp/images/03passat_1-1.jpg

protector2814
04-30-2009, 08:03 PM
We have a 2003 Passat wagon, which I guess is pretty close. Great car, very reliable. I'd buy another.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/rp/images/03passat_1-1.jpg

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/vehicle-pictures/2004/subaru/outback-and-legacy/01810061990004-480.jpg
Driving an '01 Outback Wagon, but..it doesn't really feel like a station wagon. Too tight inside. I remember real station wagons and you had all the room in the world.

Makkari1
05-26-2009, 12:34 PM
The way Obama is going he'll have the feds owning everything. :rolleyes2

lord odin
05-26-2009, 01:57 PM
Rather them than the commies.:tounge:

Makkari1
05-26-2009, 04:34 PM
Rather them than the commies.:tounge:

That not much of a choice. Its like deciding to be shot to death or stabbed to death.

galactus
05-26-2009, 05:42 PM

If the bank loans you money for a house, car, whatever...and you don't pay it back, the Bank repossesses (owns) whatever it is that you borrowed the money for. The fed is loaning money and is saying that if you don't intend to repay that money, we will own a portion of what it is you borrowed the money for.

Seems like business as usual to me.

lord odin
05-26-2009, 08:53 PM
That not much of a choice. Its like deciding to be shot to death or stabbed to death.
Well ive been shot and stabbed and IMO getting shot was worse but getting stabbed almost killed me.

Ryu
05-26-2009, 10:16 PM
http://www.trutv.com/shows/operation_repo/index.html speaking about cars, and the economy. Does anyone watch this repo show on truTV?

wktf
05-27-2009, 02:57 PM
If the bank loans you money for a house, car, whatever...and you don't pay it back, the Bank repossesses (owns) whatever it is that you borrowed the money for. The fed is loaning money and is saying that if you don't intend to repay that money, we will own a portion of what it is you borrowed the money for.

Seems like business as usual to me.

Right.

Bullseye
05-28-2009, 05:21 AM
The banks own a portion of the assit as if you have been paying your mortgage for a number of years you have a claim to portition of the value of that assit.

It looks like GM have also filed for bankruptcy. http://news.eircom.net/breakingnews/15755171/?view=Standard

BTW this could be the end of big American cars. More compact Japanese and European cars will dominate.

Blueprint
05-28-2009, 05:44 PM
At least Ford & Chevrolet are still around. I love them Mustangs, Camaros, and Corvettes...

Spatial.Archite
06-05-2009, 10:03 AM
I know it sucks from an employment standpoint, but does anyone else wish that the U.S. government would spend less baling-out Chrysler and GM and maybe invest in Tesla Motors? I can't afford to drop $57 grand on the Model S, but if a similar technology and drive train were to make it into a car for $30 grand...

I can see it being possible for VW / Audi to take over the top spot as the largest automobile manufacturer in the next few years, but I think there's always going to be a few reasons some Americans resist European cars. One is the strong push toward diesel; a large portion of the U.S. gets well below diesel's gelling point for months at a time. Diesel gels at 20 F, and here in Michigan it's possible to hit - 20 F. The other is complex engineering; European cars are more advanced than their American and Asian counterparts (some say "over-engineered"), so while they have approx. the same amount of issues as American vehicles, it's more expensive to fix.

Obviously it's a trade-off; European cars are "driver's cars", and some people don't mind the increased cost of maintenance, some do. I think Japanese cars will continue to do strong in the U.S. though... well, as strong as can be expected given the current economic situation.

Bullseye
06-05-2009, 10:30 AM
If the US car manufacturers simply made smaller car engines with better fuel efficiency they would do better business wise. Fuel prices are on the increase again and people will not want cars that simply drinks fuel like there is no tomorrow. Time to stop living in the past.

Spatial.Archite
06-05-2009, 12:12 PM
If the US car manufacturers simply made smaller car engines with better fuel efficiency they would do better business wise. Fuel prices are on the increase again and people will not want cars that simply drinks fuel like there is no tomorrow. Time to stop living in the past.

I completely agree, and obviously there's a ton of other issues that have put the U.S. auto industry in this situation, but you can get European and Asian vehicles that get better gas mileage and have more features for around the same price. With gas prices being so unstable, foreign vehicles are a smart choice.

I would love to get the Jetta TDI, but I'd hate to fight to get it to start through the Michigan winter. Now if I lived in a warmer climate...

Tesla gives me hope for the American car though. Honestly, we've been left behind when it comes to vehicles. Some might disagree, but in my opinion European and Japanese manufacturers left us behind a while ago. Tesla kind of tips the scales back to being a little more even. They don't have the resources of the larger companies, and they're expensive (though I believe it's cause & effect there), but they're definitely a forward thinking company that's trying to leapfrog the current crop of hybrids and diesels. Also, both the Model S and Roadster really echo European design (which might turn some off, but I think they look fantastic).

Daredevil
06-05-2009, 12:54 PM
Chevy cars will be heavily featured in the upcoming Transformers movie!!