View Full Version : The Mighty Reviews 5/14/09

wktf
05-14-2009, 09:52 AM
Sam Wilson’s Reviews

Deadpool: Suicide Kings #2
Marvel Comics
Written by: Mike Benson
Drawn by: Carlo Barberi

For those of you who have been sitting under a rock, Mike Benson is the hottest writer to be added to the Marvel Bullpen in the last few years. He’s completely turned around Moon Knight, making him the bad-a** we always knew he was capable of being. To clarify, Mike Benson is that guy who used to write “Entourage”, you know, that show on HBO that earned an Emmy award under Mike’s pen? Anyway, hot off the heels of last month’s “Deadpool: Games of Death” (also by Benson) one shot is “Suicide Kings”. In his own book, Deadpool has had his own problems lately. He pretty much singlehandedly ended the Skrull Invasion (sort of), and Norman Osborne took credit for it. Now he’s sent the Thunderbolts to kill him (yipes). I’m guessing that isn’t going to work out and a few of them will probably end up dead or severely fu**ed up. Anyway, in “Suicide Kings”, Wade Wilson (aka Deadpool in case you didn’t know) there are no Thunderbolts or Norman Osborne, Wade’s just picking up some side work. Side work that get’s him a sh** ton of trouble of course…

“Suicide Kings” starts out like a normal day for Deadpool, he tries to pick up some work, kills all the other mercenaries competing for the job, and lands a gig that could pay him a cool million. Instead he gets set up as a terrorist and finds himself in the middle of some sh** with Tombstone (that albino mob boss from Spider-Man) and the Punisher hot on his a**. In issue two Deadpool goes round and round with Frank, and ends up getting shot in the eye. For comfort, he seeks his old comrade in arms Outlaw (aka Inez Temple, you may remember her as one of the Mercs in Agency X, and her early appearances in “Agent X”) who takes pity on him and puts him up. Things seem like they may calm down for Wade until Frank catches up with him, only to have Daredevil pull Wade’s fat out of the fire…

“Suicide Kings” is awesome. Mike Benson gets the ball rolling right away by throwing Deadpool in the sh** like no other writer has before. Mike Benson is to Deadpool like peanut butter is to chocolate, no question. Carlo Barberi is top notch as well, his manga style suits this book perfectly. “Suicide Kings” is a welcome addition to the Deadpool cannon, and I’m down for it until the end. My pick of the week easily.

Dark Reign Hawkeye #2
Marvel Comics
Written by: Andy Diggle
Drawn by: Tom Raney
Cover by: Clint Langley

Andy Diggle has been on the comics scene for a minute now, and has recently just became Marvel Exclusive with “Thunderbolts”, and was just announced as taking over “Daredevil” was Ed Brubaker leaves. Diggle wrote one of my favourite comic series of the last five years, “The Losers” (update of the old DC war book) and it currently in development as a major motion picture. He also retconned Green Arrow in the recent “Green Arrow” year one, making him that little bi** with the booties into a total bad a** (at least in my opinion). Before he gets rolling on “Daredevil”, Marvel has him wetting his feet with “Hawkeye”. No, not Cline Barton, in case you missed it as of “Dark Avengers” issue one Hawkeye is now Bullseye, the psychopathic assassin who we last saw with the Thunderbolts. Yeah, Norman Osborne is in charge of the Marvel U, and sh** is being fu**ed up to say the least, and Bullseye as one of the Marvel U’s most classic, beloved (and should I say noble) heroes? Yeah, only Andy Diggle could pull this off…

Hawkeye starts out with the Dark Avengers (the ex-Thunderbolts) taking out a rogue hulkbuster. Hawkeye kills the man wearing the suit, and Norman Osborne lectures him on how they’re heroes now and have to be better than that. The irony of that statement is not lost on Bullseye, and he ignores Osborne and goes on the hunt to satiate his need to kill. I mean seriously, the guys a sociopath. He ends up doing something sort of heroic, but then lets all that nobility go and, well sticks a pen in an innocent women’s eye. Things get worse in issue two when he takes out the entire news crew that caught it on film, most awesomely I should add. Norman Osborne realizes that maybe putting pearls on an assassin wasn’t the best idea, so he decides to utilize Bullseye in the best way possible. Yes, he sends him out to kills people which seems like a great idea until Bullseye finds himself having an existential crisis and is suddenly standing next to himself (seriously)…

This is not a heroe’s tale. I’m doubting there is going to be any type of redemption here either. It’s really not even humorous. Bullseye is a villain, moreso than just a normal villan he’s a psychotic and a killer and doesn’t care. Andy Diggle paints that picture very well and I think anything less wouldn’t be doing the character justice. I’m down with everything he does, and having Tom Raney with him, one of the most underrated artists of all time, well. Needless to say, I’m sold on this book. Pick it up, word.

Dawg’s Review

Wolverine #73
Marvel Comics
Written by: Jason Aaron/Daniel Way
Drawn by: Adam Kubert/ Tommy Lee Edwards

So let’s get a couple of things out of the way early in this review. This is issue #73 and it is released chronologically out of order. #72 has not come out yet and due to the Wolverine movie hitting the theaters and scheduling, Marvel felt it would be better to release this issue, which is in current continuity, rather than the next chapter in the “Old Man Logan” storyline.

I have all but dropped the Wolverine title in favor of the New Weapon X series that Marv el has released under the helm of the best Wolverine writer in the game right now: Jason Aaron. So why did I pick up this issue of Wolverine? Jason Aaron’s name is on the cover credits. Not only that, but Adam Kubert’s name is also attached and he was awesome on Wolverine when he was the regular penciler back in the 90’s.

This book is part 1 of a two-part story and is split into two separate stories. The first of which is beyond excellent by Aaron and Kubert. The second story is penned by Daniel Way of current Wolverine Origins and Tommy Lee Edwards.

The first story is what most Wolverine fans have been dying to see. It is acknowledgement of Wolverine’s involvement in just about every corner of the Marvel Universe at what seems to be the same time. Aaron and Kubert take us through several weeks worth of Wolverine’s life one beautiful and clever panel at a time. From fighting with the Avengers, to the X-Men, X-Force, Japan and everyone else Logan has haunted in his storied history, until he settles in for a few panels with old flame and partner Yukio to bring the story home. She asked Logan why he punishes himself so much and has to try and be everywhere all the time… So much was said in this story without having that much dialogue and you see how deep the character truly is and that is something that 95% of all Wolverine stories lack these days. He is portrayed as a mere cartoon rendering of what he should be, but Jason Aaron has always written Wolvie better than that. He writes him as a hero, who is almost desperate to prove himself as a good man, not to everyone else, just himself.

I’m quite big on characterization in my books and so it is quite refreshing to see one of the best damn characters at Marvel being handled with some character, rather than just slashing his way from issue to issue growling.

The second story is also of great interest to me. Logan hooks up with his old buddy from 20 years back whom is a member of a biker gang. It was a story taken right out of an episode of the Sons of Anarchy almost as it involves rival biker gangs wasting each other over territory and drugs. It just so happens that Logans old buddy “Horror show” is up to his eyeballs in trouble as his junkie son is killing off people in Horror Show’s gang and his gang wants retaliation… blood for blood. Having taken the reigns of his motorcycle club and pushing them all straight and kicking their own drug habits, Horror Show is desperately trying to leave that life behind, but his junkie son feeling spurned and unwilling to kick his habit has placed Horror in a predicament that only a hairy Canadian mutant riding his own hog can settle.

Lots of Wolverine action this month and it feels good to be away from the Old Man Logan stuff that for me has just plain fizzled. Kudos to Aaron and Way this month for giving us back some of the good stuff… My pick of the week.

Wktf’s Reviews

Captain Britain and the MI13 #13
Marvel Comics
Written by: Paul Cornell
Drawn by: Ardian Syaf with Leonard Kirk
Cover by: Mico Suayan

The Vampire Lord, Count Dracula, continues his takeover of Britain and while Captain Britain and the MI13 have been on the defensive up until this point, this issue proves they hadn’t yet begun to fight. This issue marks part three of Vampire State. Following an agreement reached with Doctor Doom on the surface of the moon, a seriously very cool and dramatic scene, Dracula has been executing his plans to secure the homeland on which his Diaspora vampire state may stake (sorry, couldn’t resist the pun) territory and call their home. There’ve been a few elements of the wonderful 1970s Tomb of Dracula series up until now. A recreation of Gene Colan’s Dracula, the mystical importance of the skull of Quincy Harker, a character born at the end of Bram Stoker’s Dracula and a former vampire hunter comrade of Blade the vampire slayer and member of Captain Britain’s crew.

But while those elements were much appreciated historical references to Dracula’s heyday in the Marvel Universe, Cornell, Syaf and Kirk clearly have their own vision for the legendary Count. While the Dracula of 30 years ago had designs and plans they were small in scale compared to what’s going on here. And while that Dracula frequently was a raging and violent beast, this Dracula is a calculating master strategist, tactician and war general. In fact in the beginning of this issue we find him almost unrecognizable wearing military garb (though he was wearing this last issue) but, mercifully the artists do eventually return him to his traditional black cloak with high collar and red lining.

Up until now Dracula, his lieutenants and the rest of his army have been carefully and surgically implementing the pieces of his master plan, this is the issue where it all truly hits the fan in an issue of such total chaos and despair for the forces of good such as I can’t remember reading since Walking Dead. Some attempted but failed help by Dan Slott’s Mighty Avengers, an insulting brush off from Norman Osborn and an unfortunate turn of events for one of the MI13’s own all serve omens for the blood bath to come. The final images both of Blade and Dracula leave the reader wondering just where this seemingly hopeless situation possibly can go from here. Though I don’t see how there could be an issue #14, I’ll be back to pick the next issue up for sure. At this point I’m completely hooked and highly recommend anyone who hasn’t read this title to go retrieve the back issues of this story to get caught up and join the ride.

Black Panther 2 #4
Marvel Comics
Written by: Reginald Hudlin
Drawn by: Ken Lashley
Cover by: J. Scott Campbell

Following a meeting with Namor, The Sub-Mariner, and request to join Osborn’s Cabal, The Black Panther was attacked by Dr. Doom. Surprisingly, only because T’Challa always seems to be able to handle himself extremely well even against super powered opponents, The Black Panther was cut down so hard by Doom that he now lies near death. Now with no Black Panther to rule, guide and protect Wakanda this independent and extraordinarily powerful state finds itself in a position of compromise. Remember Morlun, the supernatural devourer of totems who gave Spider-Man fits back in the earliest days of JMS’ run on the title? Well, having previously attempted to feast on the spider totem it looks like he’s now after the panther totem and is hunting for the comatose T’Challa.

We have three tales running in parallel in this one issue. With T’Challa’s body secure in Wakanda his spirit appears to be wandering the nether reaches between life and death. And, in fact, he seems to be struggling against the personification of Death itself who’s working its absolute hardest to get T’Challa to voluntarily walk to his final reward. As T’Challa stubbornly fights Death’s pull his sister Shuri has been chosen to assume the mantle of the Black Panther and, in fact, must now face the judgment of the Panther God who previously judged and accepted Storm before she married T’Challa. And, while these two trials are going on, Storm has told the Queen Mother that she’ll go to any length to save her beloved husband. As Morlun bears down on Wakanda Storm is enlisting the aid and has been put under the spell of a witch doctor who has offered to help restore T’Challa. The resolution of each of these three paths has dire consequences for all three individuals and for Wakanda.

Reggie Hudlin is spinning a complicated but enticing story. The struggles and issues Shuri’s been facing since Hudlin took over this book years ago really come to a head here. In addition, it also looks like Reggie’s gotten to make use of Morlun to take it to a character he’s stated publically that he can’t stand, another totem-like character I first saw battle T’Challa back in the 1960s Avengers title. Lashley’s art is first rate here, reminding me a bit of Scott Eaton’s but still clearly his own. Powerful, detailed and knetic, Lashley’s renderings convey the desperation in all three primary characters’ struggles. Plus, the scene where T’Challa’s fighting an army of skeletons is worthy of the best grade B horror films. This beautifully constructed and absorbing book is my pick of the week.

Blackest Night #0
DC Comics
Written by: Geoff Johns
Drawn by: Ivan Reis and Doug Mahnke

Sure, this comic came out a couple of weeks ago and it was a Free Comic Book Day offering. But I just picked it up this week and am here to issue Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis a major “thank you” for creating this superb jumping on point for people like me who’ve been kicking themselves for not following Green Lantern since Sinestro Wars and still anxiously anticipating Blackest Night. Hal and Barry stand over Bruce Wayne’s grave, certainly a somber setting, as Hal takes Barry through some of the horrors the DC hero base has suffered lately. From Aquaman’s death, to Martian Manhunter’s to Batman’s. Reis’s art is really first rate, especially showing not just the confusion on Flash’s face but also conveying his lightning speed. And while this title has only 12 pages of primary story content, with the emergence of the Black Lantern’s two primary leading figures it looks like Blackest Night really does kick off here.

Also in this issue is a little essay from Johns about his vision for the Green Lantern series as well as the DCU. One has to wonder if he’ll end up being DC’s next Editor in Chief after this epic event, a title he’ll probably deserve. In addition, Doug Mahnke gives us a summary pages of the Green, Red, Orange, Yellow, Blue, Indigo, Saphire and Black Lantern Corps. For those, again, like me, who could use the overview and synopsis help

So, if you don’t own this book and your lcs still has some copies lying around, be sure to pick it up. It’s free, after all, and contains a lot of bang for the buck you’re not spending on it.

Bat_Collector's Review

The Walking Dead #61
Image Comics
Writer: Robert Kirkman
Artist: Charlie Adlard

My oh my! I have no idea what to properly think of this issue. After the super-intense last few issues, our group finds themselves on the run, hoping the vast herd of zombies who were on their tail are no longer following them. We open with what might be a positive sign, Andrea finds a van with actual mattresses in them. After starting the van, the group hopes they can get to Washington as safely as possible. But nothing is that simple in Kirkman's world. Soon one of the twins boys has decided to upgrade his killing of cats to actually killing humans, in this case his brother. The kid is clearly disturbed and really has no real idea what he has done. But, what is there to do with him? New member Abraham wants him dead, but who can kill a child, especially when Andrea and Dale have raised them as their own child? The situation is chilling, disturbing, and shocking.

And in the bad omens department, one Father Gabriel Stokes just happens to find our group of not so merry travelers in the midst of this controversy. The Father is almost wholly untouched, armed only with the Good Book, and promising of taking the group to his church for a place to rest. Something tells me this man is not to be trusted, especially with all the teaser images we have been getting lately on the upcoming story arcs. Get ready group, hopefully most of you survive the experience!

And in this tense, debate filled issue, I gotta give a hats off to Charlie Adlard. The art and especially the ranges of expression in the faces of our cast of characters are excellent! You really feel the gut-wrenching turmoil of this group, who have been through so much, faces when a kid has shown himself to be a murderer.

If you haven't read this series yet, do yourself a favor and order the Walking Dead Compendium, collecting this magnificent series' first 48 issues, find out what we have all been talking about!

supahman
05-14-2009, 10:20 AM
WOW.. Thanks a lot...yu guy's r quick... i barely have finished 2 of the 3 i got..

I loved Wolverine .. esp the 1st Story.. The Nick Fury 1 shot was great too...

bat_collector
05-14-2009, 12:45 PM
Joe, my favorite part of Blackest Night was the page filled intro's of the each color/emotion of the corp.

I now have two t-shirts, orange/avarice and blue/hope. I hope to get them all! Ok, maybe not the Violet/Love one.

thecallahan
05-14-2009, 01:28 PM
I need to get the avarice shirt to go along with my Sinestro one. I won't be able to pick up my comics until this weekend though so can't really comment on the reviews. I do need to find the first issue to Aaron's new Wolvie ongoing though.

joy_division
05-14-2009, 02:34 PM
not getting any of those

I want wolverine #72 though :(

abarron
05-14-2009, 02:49 PM
Nice to see Deadpool is getting some notice with a pick of the week

wktf
05-14-2009, 03:59 PM
Nice to see Deadpool is getting some notice with a pick of the week

Mike Benson's writing rocks.