PDA

View Full Version : Question for other sculptors here.

Mangus
04-20-2005, 02:40 PM
If you had a piece that was done, cut & keyed. How would you shop it around to maybe have someone like DF or BD pick it up and produce it? Also how would you word it?

Thanx.

Brian.

Mangus
04-20-2005, 05:28 PM
Let me appologize in advance if this is some trade secret.

JohnCleary
04-20-2005, 05:39 PM
Basically, you would just send pics to them with a nice little introduction and show them what you sculpted. Build up a portfolio and start sending it out. Some of the more seasoned pros can probably give you a bit more advice. I'm not sure how DF works but I think you have to mold your piece and supply a paint master to them as well, after they have hired you of course. You might want to ask in the DF forum about that.

Thats basically how Randy picked up my Spidey. I sculpted it sent some pics to him and he got back with me offering to produce it. Just get some good pics and send them out and see what happens.

Good luck!

John

Bullseye
04-20-2005, 05:41 PM
Brian you should read Keith's interview with Tony C. He also gives tips on how to make contact with companies.
http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=8724

popeye
04-23-2005, 11:40 PM
Hey Mangus,

It's pretty much exactly how John said it is done.
No big mystery here...be polite....be professional and send images to companies you want to offer your services or possible product to. Address it to the Art Director or Creative Director. It should be pretty easy to get in touch with most of these companies since they should have a web site. I'd get in touch FIRST, though, before you send images through email. Just a quick intro and ask if it would be possible for you to send them a few images.
It's better to do it that way then to send lots of images, unsolicited, through the computer. And then they will be on the lookout for it. You might follow up in a week or so with another email or call.

" Just checking to see if you got my images and if there is any interest..." Something like that.

I don't know how any company would not want to at least see what you have got....you can never have too many vendors, sculptors or artists at your disposal, in my opinion.

If you have an unproduced piece that falls under their license, offer it up. The worst that they can do is to say 'no thanks'.

One thing....I recently sent out images to several companies and some didn't even respond. When that happens....assume they are busy...and try again in a little while.

Best of luck to ya, Mangus.

JohnCleary
04-23-2005, 11:46 PM
great tips Tony, youre the man, man. :)

nice to see you've entered the competition. I cant wait to see your entry. This is gonna be so much fun.

later on!

John