PDA

View Full Version : zSculpt and others question

Wesley Pierce
05-22-2009, 03:41 PM
This question if for you digital imagery masters using such programs as zSculpt or other digital programs.
I am in process of building a new desktop but was wondering what motherboards and graphics cards you guys are using for the best quality and stability.

I was considering the ASUS Rampage ii Extreme motherboard but Graphics cards are something I just don't know about at this point.

Any suggestions???

seantree
05-22-2009, 06:27 PM
I know they make graphics specific vid cards, but with a quad core and a regular ol' nvidia geforce top of the line card you should be able to push plenty of polys around. Think the GTX295 is nvidia's best card atm. Although I know a lot of people who jumped on cards a gen or 2 older due to price and they can still use zbrush to it's fullest. I'm using an old rig and my zbrush does not chug til I divide like 9 times. Be sure to get plenty of ram also. That's about all I have for ya. You may want to try a forum like CGTalk or Polycount and ask over there.

Wesley Pierce
05-23-2009, 08:34 PM
Thanks for the tip :thumbs2:

animato
09-09-2009, 04:42 AM
Hey...

I am Zbrush sculptor so here is what you need ...

First of all, Zbrush doesnt really work with 3d graphic cards ( yes believe me in that) they use special technology called pixols which isnt based on normal 3d poly workflow.Most important for Zbrush are processors, the stronger =better and RAM ..2GB minimum 8GB optimum so you can go to really high details.

Lastly ... Tablet is most important part if you are going for serious digital sculpting. Intous 3 A6 would be enough.

Hope it helps

Martin

southparx
09-09-2009, 11:35 PM
Hi there,

animato is right, zbrush doesn't rely on graphics card and better spend on RAM,

since zbrush is currently a 32-bit 'only' application it is limited to 4 GB of RAM but i highly suggest you get more than 4 GB so that when zbrush is running it will be utilizing the full 4 GB alone- while windows and your other applications can utilize the extra RAM available

hope it makes sense

cheers,
andrew

DD_fan96
09-10-2009, 11:25 PM
PC or Mac?

Does one work better than the other for Zbrush?
I thought I read somewhere MACS were having problems with the Zbrush3 at one time or something like that.