PDA

View Full Version : Canon Rebel XSi vs Sony Alpha A350 vs Olympus E-620

Magik
05-25-2009, 09:48 PM
My wife just purchased a Canon XSi camera kit with two lenses (18-55 and 55-250 both with image stabilization). Do you think this is better than the Sony Alpha 350? We also considered the Olympus E-620 but it wasn't in stock to physically feel or try out. We wanted a DSLR that we can start with and grow into. This is our first digital SLR camera, so it will initially be used by novices who will hopefully get better at photography in time. My wife is planning to take a photography class this summer and I will take one after her. Let me know your thoughts so I can exchange it if I need to.

Magik
05-25-2009, 09:52 PM
I forgot to ask: Do you think image stabilization in the camera body is better than image stabilization in the lens?

dr_teng
05-25-2009, 09:56 PM
What you have to consider is less whether the body is good (both are fine) but that when you buy into a DSLR, you're buying into their entire line of lenses and accessories.

I vastly prefer the Canon line (including their lenses, their 50mm 1.4 lens has been my primary lens for ages) so I think you made a good choice on that one.

IronLungs31
05-26-2009, 09:11 AM
Congrats on your new camera pickup. I think that you made a good choice going with the Canon. I have a Canon Rebel and I love every bit of that camera.

ManthingVT
05-27-2009, 12:06 AM
From the cameras you have listed, I'd say you made a fine choice. As Dr. Teng said, you are purchasing into the entire camera line and Canon is, if nothing else, a safe choice. Sony and Olympus are both great also, but with Sony you have to consider what lies down the road for them. Yes, they bought Minolta and are essentially that, with all their great lenses, but will Sony stay in the SLR game if the going gets rough? Olympus has a great history also, but seems more suited for enthusiasts of that brand.

Now, if Nikon and Pentax were on your list instead, you'd have a tougher choice imo. Both are making great stuff right now, with Nikon having the historic advantage in optics (lenses) over Canon.

Ultimately though, all are fine and it comes down to personal preference in the long run. And I'd put more faith in the person behind the equipment than the hardware itself, so learn how to use what you have and practice!

MVT

Magik
05-27-2009, 03:09 AM
Thanks Dr. Teng, IronLungs, and Manthing

It is my wife's camera so she is frantically doing on-line reviews to see if she made the right choice. Why we didn't do this in the first place is beyond me. It really was an impulse buy. On Monday, my wife said "Let's go buy a digital SLR. So I couldn't disagree could I? On a side note, we also bought an 80 GB Hi def Sony camcorder. That's a large chunk of our income tax returns.

After reading some reviews I don't think we can make a mistake going with any of these three but I wanted to get some "real life" opinions rather than what you would typically find at a camera review site.

I think my wife may change her mind and go with the Olympus because she has small hands and all the reviews she looked at so far have been talking about how Olympus has been able to get so much features (including articulated LCD for live view) into a smaller form factor. It's being touted as the smallest DSLR with image stabilization built into the body, which appeals to my wife.

We'll have a final verdict in the next couple of days. It's killing me that we have this brand new Canon XSi in our house and I can't even open the box and play with it! Women have such good will power.