wktf
05-29-2009, 12:18 PM
Wktf’s Reviews

Ghost Rider #35
Marvel Comics
Written by: Jason Aaron
Drawn by: Tony Moore
Cover by: Arthur Suydam

If you’ve been reading Ghost Rider, or my reviews of this book the last several months, you know that Jason Aaron, Wizard’s 2008 Writer of the Year has bent the fundamental rules of Heaven and Earth and, in so doing, essentially has doomed us all. Pretty much. Game over. It’s been nice knowing you. Heaven has been conquered by the mad angel Zadkiel, something even Lucifer couldn’t do, and now is close to wielding total control over all of Creation. Johnny Blaze and brother Danny Ketch now are biding their time on Earth waiting for the end to come. Indeed, Normal Osborne’s Dark Reign is nothing compared to Marvel’s new reality in Ghost Rider.

Last issue we got maybe the greatest single issue of Ghost Rider ever to come off the presses where Danny, waiting for the end to come, was forced into his Ghost Rider to do rock and roll battle with an eight-track blasting soul stealing 18-wheeling demon truck driver highwayman. What a rollicking, intense hoot! This issue we find Johnny Blaze in similar circumstances, alone and waiting for the end of reality in the company of some well meaning monks when, all of a sudden, the flesh literally begins to ooze off peoples’ bodies, brains burst from skulls and walk down the front of their deceased bodies and massive snakes rise up through peoples’ gullets and out their mouths. Yes, another demon hellspawn crosses paths with our blazing hero, this time Johnny who, despite his disgust over reality’s pending doom, simply cannot stop himself from firing up and taking vengeance on the wicked. Sometimes swinging shovels, sometimes swinging chains, sometimes busting knees, and sometimes bringing hellfire.

Oh, and did I mention the simply awesome Tony Moore, he of Walking Dead fame, has been on the art chores these last couple of issues? His highwayman and that crazy demon truck he was driving from last issue was simply inspired. His scrawny skin-bender is less so but his other monsters and crazy angry Johnny Blaze are wonderfully rendered. Overall, while this is a surprisingly less interesting Ghost Rider issue compared to all the others since Aaron’s been on the book, it’s still a cool and diverting story. Aaron’s run has been so impressive he’s even got Lutheran pastors writing him fan letters! Seriously, check this issue’s letters page. And, while this issue marks the last one for a few months, Aaron and the spirits of vengeance will return in August with Ghost Riders: Heaven’s on Fire that promises the final confrontation with Zadkiel. If you haven’t been reading this book then you’ve got the perfect opportunity to wait for the upcoming trade and jump all over it before things really heat up in August.

The Incredible Hercules #129
Marvel Comics
Written by: Greg Pak & Fred Van Lente
Drawn by: Ryan Segman
Cover by: David Williams

With this issue we begin a new story arc titled “The Descent.” Last issue Hercules, Amadeus Cho and Athena discovered that Hera, wife of Zeus, had seized control of the Olympic pantheon in the wake of Zeus’ death (back in the Ares mini-series) and was applying her considerable power to kill both Hercules and his sister. Being the goddess of wisdom, Athena knows when she and her mighty brother are outmatched and, so, we come to the opening of this story where she sends both Hercules and Cho to bring back the only being with the power to counter Hera. And that being is the dead Zeus.

Yes, “The Descent” is Hercules’ and Cho’s descent into Hades where we learn that the rules of life and death have become more capricious than usual now that Zeus isn’t around to keep control over his brother, Pluto. Hercules himself is offended at the randomness with which the dead are able to literally gamble (you have to see this particular entrance to Hades…pretty clever) their way back to life. And, as this Abbott & Costello of the superhero world make their way through the Netherworld, we run across several old, recently and not so recently departed friends from the Marvel Universe, including some from Avengers Disassembled, some from Civil War and some from Secret Invasion. Of course, if Zeus had been keeping the reins on Pluto when he was alive, there’s a good chance Hercules’ uncle will want to keep his dead brother exactly where he’s got him. Hercules and Cho soon find that freeing Zeus will be no trivial matter.

I have to admit, this title is beginning to lose the considerable head of steam it once had built up post-World War Hulk. Maybe it’s the departure of Khoi Pham from the book a few months back but it doesn’t seem to have the same level of dynamics. Sure, Zeus’ predicament looks pretty awful and it’ll be great to see Hercules fight on behalf of his father but I’m ready for the “Incredible” adjective to modify the Marvel powerhouse for whom it was originally intended. Until this switch happens in a few months I hope this title can generate a little more heat.

The New Avengers #53
Marvel Comics
Written by: Brian Michael Bendis
Drawn by: Billy Tan
Cover by: Billy Tan
Variant cover by: Chris Bachalo

The search for the new Sorcerer Supreme continues with a vengeance in this brutal battle issue. Dr. Strange had previously come to The New Avengers knowing the cosmos would find a replacement for him in this position, after having resorted to the use of dark, mystical powers to fight off The Hulk in World War Hulk. As some likely, and some frightening, candidates for this honor course through Strange’s consideration set, he and The New Avengers follow the Eye of Agamotto, which naturally gravitates to the new Sorcerer Supreme, straight to New Orleans where The Hood has already arrived to take out Daimon Hellstrom, the Son of Satan.

Bendis and Tan combine to create a fully packed primarily all-out battle issue that’s only enhanced by Bendis’ punchy dialogue. The Hood and Mephisto spar physically and verbally with Hellstrom, seemingly pretty evenly matched but still causing quite the wake of fiery destruction. The Hood’s transformation from human, to semi-human/semi-demonic to all out demonic is rendered with terrific but subtle detail by Tan. Madame Mask takes it to the Avengers Quinjet to slow their interference with her boyfriend, which results in a wonderfully choreographed battle between her and Spider-Woman under the shroud of a smoke screen. The new Captain America also proves totally capable to foiling Madam Mask’s attempts at murder not once but twice. And when Luke Cage joins his old Defenders partner Hellstron the battle of demons turns the dial up even more.

This was one of the best combinations of action, humor, dialog and interpersonal dynamics in recent memory where this title’s concerned. Not to mention a nicely disguised surprise ending with a character I haven’t seen since Cage joined T’Challa in the “Bad Mutha” Black Panter arc to battle a horde of vampires the last time he was in New Orleans. For all these reasons I’m giving New Avengers my pick of the week.

Sam Wilson’s Reviews

Moon Knight #30
Marvel Comics
Written by: Mike Benson
Drawn by: Jefte Palo
Cover by: Gabrielle Del ‘Otto

Moon Knight, aka Mark Spector aka Jake Locley aka someone whom you don’t want to **** with if you are a bad guy. Born out of war, mercenary Mark Spector was beaten and left for dead and saved by the Egyptian Moon god to kick ass for him and fight evil. He’s has more than one series for Marvel Comics throughout the years, has been an Avenger (on the west coast anyway) and is now fighting on the side of the registration act. Well, not really. See, in superstar writer Mike Benson’s (HBO’s Entourage) first story arc Tony Stark tried to get him on board but Mark would rather beat the living **** out of drug dealers than have any part of Tony’s nonsense. Well, that and the ghost of the Bushman (an old enemy of his who just happens to be missing his face) is guiding Marks actions, encouraging him to, well, pound the crap out of people and maim them in nasty ways. Tony Stark tried his hardest to get Mark under control, but didn’t do such a good job so the powers that be decided to send in the Registration’s big guns. Well, their psychotic guns anyway with a bunch of sociopaths better known as the Thunderbolts. The T-bolts did their best and managed to kill Mark Spector. The only problem? Jake Lockley survived, and relocated to Mexico, and so it goes…

The new story arc, “Down South”, starts out pretty fu**king bad-ass. Jake Lockley is alive and well (for those of you who don’t know, Jake Lockley was the NYC Cab Driver identity of Moon Knight, yes, same guy as Mark Spector) and living in Mexico, fighting in underground boughts to pay the bills. His skills earn him a rep, and soon a rich man whose daughter has been kidnapped asks him for help. By asking him I mean he offers him a ton of money to get his daughter back. Meanwhile, a mysterious man has Jake Lockley in his rifle sights, and well, okay he’s not so mysterious. His name is Frank Castle, aka the Punisher. All this and the Bushman is still talking to Jake, even though he takes an even stranger form than before in. Soon enough Jake learns the father has doesn’t want her daughter rescued as much as he wants her dead and out of the way (killing her seals an alliance with the Russian mob). Obviously Jake doesn’t want this to happen, so he takes the girl and runs. This prompts the rich guy to send a crapload of mercenaries after him, including two Lucha Libres (seriously, but yo, they are total bad-a**) who prove themselves to be the last men standing against Jake. Honestly though, the Punisher watching Jake’s back may have had something to do with that. Anyway, the Lucha Libres, aka the Zapata brothers, burned their bridges with the rich guy but they still want Jake’s head on a pike, and they want a piece of the rich guy. Meanwhile, the Punisher takes out some Russian mobsters. The girl manages to get herself picked up by the Zapata brothers and Jake Lockley puts on the costume, which brings us to the finale. Mark (Jake, whatever) makes it to the rich guys house only to walk into a slaughter. It seems like the Punisher is responsible, but that’s just not true. Meanwhile, the Zapata brothers make time with the rich guy’s daughter and Jake’s Mexican adventure comes to an end, but a new adventure involving “Dark Reign” is forthcoming…

Hell ****ing yeah. Mike Benson is the man. Mike’s had Moon Knight for awhile now, and every issue has been nothing short of an ass kicking festival of bad assness. With the sharp, modern dialogue Mike Benson is known for from his television work (Entourage) David Mamet could dare write Moon Knight better (and I’m a huge Mamet fan). Moon Knight sort of going back to his mercenary roots, getting raw in Mexico with the Punisher in the mix? Hell yeah. So buy it already. Word. My pick of the week.

Ultimate Wolverine Vs. Hulk #6
Marvel Comics
Written by: Damon Lindelof
Drawn by: Leinil Francis Yu

Ummm, so this book last came out in 2006 and the Ultimate U has changed a lot. Ultimatum is wrecking sh** and, well, that’s pretty much it. Oh yeah, Nick Fury isn’t even on the planet, or the Ultimate U anymore and he’s the one that got this book rolling initially, sending Wolverine in to do the job he couldn’t (kill the Hulk). Whatever though, this book is finally being completed and it was pretty kick a** when it first came out, so we’ll do a quick update of the first two issues and move on. Anyway, as I was saying Nick Fury calls Wolverine in for one purpose and one purpose only: find the Hulk, kill him, and keep it freakin’ quiet. Helping him out is Dr. Jennifer Walters, one of the lead scientists on the original super-soldier project that created the Hulk. Betty Banner is present as well, using her PR skills to cover up the Hulk’s resurgence as he makes his way across Europe and into Asia. Anyway, the Hulk has been sighted in Asia, and off Wolvie goes to whack him and hopefully have a good time doing it. Yeah, and he gets to spend time with the foxy Dr. Jennifer Walters (who’s not the She-Hulk in the ultimate universe, at least not yet, as for what they do with her that remains to be seen).

If you read this book when it first came out, you know Wolvie vs. Hulk is some crazy sh**. I mean that in the most complimentary way. Thus far we have seen a lot; a shadowy mission, foxy women and balls out action, and damned if I ain’t pleased with the way Ultimate Jennifer Walters is turning out. Anyway, last we saw Wolvie and Hulk (and Jennifer), Wolvie had finally caught up with Jadejaws and was going to get himself some payback for getting his a** kicked (and ripped in half) earlier, and instead of a fight he gets a cup of cocoa? Then in a series of flashbacks (sort of), we learned exactly how Wolverine came to get himself ripped in half, and we get to see the Hulk’s harem of foxy monk chicks (seriously) and Ultimate She-Hulk. Last issue we get the origin of Ultimate She-Hulk, and well, its not Jennifer Walters, Ultimate She-Hulk is indeed Betsy Ross (gasp). Last issue Wolverine finds out his spirit animal is a Panda, Betty and Bruce get it on (maybe), Ultimate Forge shows up and Nick Fury is plotting (I know, a stretch), which brings us to our final issue. Wolvie tracks Banner (hulk) down, and Betty and Nick Fury shows up to pull the puppet strings, bringing things to a satisfying conclusion.

Leinil Yu is hands down my favorite comic artist putting out stuff right now, and seeing him draw the Hulk (and She-Hulk), well, that’s pretty much kick a** to an extreme level. Being a big fan of “Lost”, I’m cool with Lindelof. Seriously, I’m not even that mad took so long for the series to start back up. Yeah, they took She Hulk in a completely different direction than in the regular Marvel U, but the art and story are fantastic so I’ll get over it. I’m down with this book, down with the eventually trade, and seriously down with Ultimate She-Hulk. Word…

wktf
05-29-2009, 12:19 PM
Dawg’s Reviews

Amazing Spider-Man #595
Marvel Comics
Written by: Joe Kelly
Drawn by: Phil Jimenez

In a tough call to make this week, I ended up running with this book as my pick of the week. After a little internal debate over whether Green Lantern would take the week again, I kept gravitating back to this opening salvo of the “American Son” arc. Joe Kelly and Phil Jimenez pack so much punch in this issue, it felt like a much longer book than it was and I enjoyed it that much more. So much story and depth went into this issue that I find myself still thinking about it today as I write this review.

Norman Osborn is the hero of the world. Norman Osborn who has been the bane of Spidey’s existence forever as the Green Goblin… Peter Parker and several other key figures know this but can do nothing but watch this nightmare as it happens, including Norman’s own son and Peter’s best friend Harry Osborn.

This arc begins to explore just how Peter is handling the events of Norman’s Dark Avengers and his being the new poster boy for America. He has decided that he will not rest until he brings Norman down and expose him for the villain he is. This mission is made even more desperate as Norman uses J. Jonah Jameson to help him turn his sights on bringing his son Harry into the fold.

Pete vows that Norman will NOT get his grubby mitts anywhere near Harry. Norman is quite the chess player though and has a secret weapon that he throws at Harry in the form of his ex-girlfriend Lilly Hollister.

We get to see a very desperate side of Peter Parker. A more aggressive side as everything comes crashing to a head. Peter feels trapped and he is fast discovering that he hates Norman so much that he’s willing to contemplate doing what he has never done before to make sure that Norman never hurts those he loves again. He even briefly seeks out his friend and fellow Avenger for advice Wolverine. Wolverine tells him that when the time comes he needs to do what must be done without hesitation… Kill Norman Osborn.

Pete even has his chance as he takes Norman on a web ride through the city and beats the holy hell out of him. Just as he’s about to deliver the blow however Norman informs Spidey, that Harry has accepted his offer and will join him running the Dark Avengers.

Of course we know that Peter isn’t actually going to kill Norman, but Kelly makes Pete’s desperation believable enough that you could believe Pete would do what it takes. All of this and it’s only part one of the arc.

Kelly and Jimenez absolutely killed it and I haven’t enjoyed Spider-man as much as I enjoyed this issue since the 80’s… I sh*t you not, I thought it was that good. The brand new day folks wanted to increase the supporting cast’s relevance in this title and they have done it in spades, as they are involved in this issue. From the brief Wolverine appearance, to Aunt May, Harry, Lilly, J.Jonah, J. Jonah Sr., The front line newspaper, and the list goes on. I cannot wait to see if the rest of these issues in this arc pay off as much as the first.

Wolverine # 72
Marvel Comics
Written by: Mark Millar
Drawn by: Steve McNiven

On the opposite end of my Spider-Man review and my great praise of the amount of substance found therein that book this week, I come to my review of Wolverine. This book has some of the prettiest art I have ever seen in a comic. Steve McNiven is truly someone that Marvel should rope to a chair and never let go. Good Lord, the way he draws the Red Skull in costume, yet wearing Captain America’s mask as a trophy is absolutely crazy. Despite incredible art, I found myself done with reading this book in like 5 minutes. By the time the end came and Logan and the Red Skull squared off, despite one shocking moment and clever homage to the Captain America issue that he deals with Baron Blood, not much else happened that was a great surprise.

Logan and Clint Barton were on a mission to smuggle Super Soldier serum in to the Red Skull’s back yard so that hope could be reinvented and perhaps the villains that rule America could be brought down. Setting a trap, the Red Skull lays waste to both Hawkeye and Logan.

Of course to no one’s surprise Logan heals up and kicks some ass without having to use his claws. He even takes up the most iconic symbol in the Marvel Universe as a weapon: Captain America’s shield. Logan fights the skull and I mentioned before takes out the skull in a great sequence. But then in the aftermath and Logan’s desperation to get home to his family and pay off the Hulklings, things just get silly as he dons a set of Iron Man armor to fly home.

When he gets there, well under the wire for his deadline to pay off the Hulklings for Logan’s mortgage, he finds out some news most tragic. It would have been even more tragic if we all could have not seen it coming a mile away. Then of course we see something even more predictable to this story and even get a 2-page spread for “shock factor”.

I normally love Millar’s writing, and I won’t say that this story has been bad by any means… but it hasn’t been all that great in the latter parts either. I loved the premise of a Logan who has sworn off using his claws and violence and the mystery as to why… BUT… we all knew it would end in violence. It’s f***ing Wolverine isn’t it?

Green Lantern #41
DC Comics
Written by: Geoff Johns
Drawn by: Philip Tan

This is still my favorite book being published by any company right now. That is saying a lot considering all of the quality that is actually out there these days. It is my ONLY DC book at the moment too. The writing is just incredible and the art has been outstanding as well. Let it be known once again that I still miss the art of Ivan Reis, but that is not to take away the incredibly detailed work of Philip Tan.

This issue is an all out explosion of color. “Taste the rainbow” as it were… The guardians and the Lanterns take the fight to the Vega system to try and clean up yet another one of their dirty little secrets. We get to see the awesome origin of one of the coolest characters to ever be introduced in a comic: Larfleeze.

Hal Jordan describes Larfleeze in a one liner that still has me cracking up today…

“He looks like a cross between a boar and a muppet… The one that hangs out with the chickens.”

Larfleeze was a ruthless criminal that ran with a couple of others and pulled off a heist so big that it drew the Guardians ire. The Man Hunters were after them for stealing a box that by the end of the issue is revealed to be parallax. Larfleeze and company happen upon the Orange light in the Vega system and that is where the pact with Guardians was struck. Larfleeze could keep the orange light for himself, provided he stayed on Vega and gave them back Parallax. This is what Larfleeze agreed to and has lived in what I guess you could call peace ever since.

That is until the Guardians revoked that pact and let their Lantern Corps in the Vega system.

Now Larfleeze is after something that his undeniable greed “has to be his”… Hal Jordan’s blue ring of hope… I won’t go into any spoilers of how Larfleeze actually gets the ring, but I am still in shock this morning wondering how Johns is gonna write Hal out of this one…

There is nothing I can criticize this book for, except that it doesn’t come out weekly… It’s awesome and you better find a way to get on board.

Wktf’s Trade Review

X-Men Magneto: Testament HC
Marvel Comics
Written by: Greg Pak
Drawn by: Carmine Di Giandomenico
Original covers by: Marko Djurdjevic

This HC, released this week, presents the definitive origin of Magneto. Of course, Magneto was born with his powers, so this isn’t the origin of how he developed his abilities as opposed to the creation of his character. What event can so mark a young man and set him on an inexorable path in pursuit of a destiny that would change his life forever? For Simon Wiesenthal, Elie Wiesel and Max Eisenhardt that event was The Holocaust, which turned them into a famed Nazi hunter, a Nobel Peace Prize winning author, and one of Marvel’s most iconic and dangerous villains, respectively. And, if you think I’m confusing fantasy with reality by referring to a fictional comic book villain in the same sentence as two real life crusaders of justice, well, there’s a reason for that.

Greg Pak spent three years painstakingly researching both Magneto’s history and the history of The Holocaust to present a tale that is as accurate as possible to the often conflicting accounts of Magneto’s youth but, most importantly, in his own words, “in an age where Holocaust deniers still spread their lies, we’ve done our best to ensure that the real-world history we explore in the series is entirely accurate and that we deal with this unfathomably harrowing material in a way that’s honest, unflinching, human, and humane.” And so, the nine year old boy who would become Magneto along with his family are brutally integrated into the lives of German Jews as the Nuremburg Laws become enacted, Kristallnact signals the coming wave of hate and death and, finally, the crematoria of Auschwitz-Birkenau make that wave a real and crushing blow to Europe’s Jews.

This tale, named Best Mini-Series of 2008 by IGN, shows the origin of hate. We see how a young school boy is thrust into such unimaginable horror as to totally reshape his psyche, where the person who was that boy died and someone or something else rose in his place. With only the subtlest hints of his powers to come, Pak and Di Giandomenico barely show us anything of the elemental mutant villain but instead choose to focus on the terrible human experience of this poor boy. Text, dialogue and art have rarely come together as well as they do here. Matt Hollingsworth’s colors, with his washes of black and grays and hints of colors set the moods of pain, despair and rage so important to this story. Collecting all five issues of the Marvel Knights mini-series, along with in-depth endnotes, a comprehensive teacher’s guide (yes, this book could serve as a school text book), reference sources and related websites, this beautifully crafted, stunning and shocking hardcover is well worth the $24.99 cover price.

supahman
05-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Niiice.. thx fr the reviews guys.. I've picked up the Magneto HC on ye recco's.. not gotten arnd to readin it yet.. gotta finish the books i got yest.. ( Cage 1-5 and Madame Mirage ).. ;)

Jack8022
05-29-2009, 12:46 PM
Great reviews, guys.
I'm halfway through my books and GL was once again the best read in the stack (last page, ouch!).

wktf
05-30-2009, 09:54 AM
Niiice.. thx fr the reviews guys.. I've picked up the Magneto HC on ye recco's.. not gotten arnd to readin it yet.. gotta finish the books i got yest.. ( Cage 1-5 and Madame Mirage ).. ;)

Be sure to post back after you've read it. Love to read your and others' opinions.

Primal
05-30-2009, 11:07 AM
haha Agreed Mighty Joe! Looking at that last page of GL had me wondering...How the !%&!%&!%&!%& is Hal gonna get outta that one?!??! :eek:

And I'm always intrigued by everything Larfleeze has to say and do. Great great character.

As usual, nothing bad to say about Geoff Johns' writing which continues to captivate month after month.:thumbs2:

rilynil
05-30-2009, 11:33 AM
Great reviews, guys! Joe, I agree with you that the latest New Avengers issue kicked all kinds of butt! I am LOVING this story, this Avengers lineup and their interactions. And I have never loved Luke Cage more than in the past few years. His scenes with Spidey are hilarious in this issue. Great stuff! :buttrock:

Also, I must say that the current Elektra miniseries is a pure joy to read. And this is coming from someone who has never been all that smitten by Elektra in the past. Just tossin' out some food for thought!

supahman
05-30-2009, 11:35 AM
I Finished the Conan tpb First.. It was another great book.. with Fabulous art from Tomas Giorillo and the great Richard Corben.

The story was really interesting with the art switching between the two artists as the Story moved from Conan to Flashback's fr his Grandfather Connacht.

Mr. Corben was on the duties for Conan's Grandfarther's stories and Giorillo was the artist for Conan.

I enjoyed the story and a beautiful evening was spent readin abt Barbabrians, Maidens and Wolves (yeah !! ). It's mostly about how Conan's got his wanderlust and love of adventure from hsi grandfatherwho was just like him, and why Conan choses not to settle down in the end, where his grandfather chose to. Please try it, a must for a Barabarian fan.

Now for Magneto..

supahman
05-30-2009, 12:53 PM
OMG.. The Last Testament.. Is Superb.. One of the Most compelling reads I have had in a long long time.

Thanks a lot Wktf..

The artwork is lovely bringing out the emotions in the right places and so is the writing.

Greg pak is wonderful. I loved the notes he put in at the end as well as the Neal adams and Joe kubert illustrated story about Dina.. Anyone reading this has to go get it.

It will remind you of Maus and make you connect to Magneto like never before...

wktf
05-30-2009, 07:11 PM
Also, I must say that the current Elektra miniseries is a pure joy to read. And this is coming from someone who has never been all that smitten by Elektra in the past. Just tossin' out some food for thought!

Keith's been reviewing Elektra, I think, just not this month. I agree, this series is fantastic. Next issue should be a serious grudge match.

wktf
05-30-2009, 07:16 PM
OMG.. The Last Testament.. Is Superb.. One of the Most compelling reads I have had in a long long time.

Thanks a lot Wktf..

The artwork is lovely bringing out the emotions in the right places and so is the writing.

Greg pak is wonderful. I loved the notes he put in at the end as well as the Neal adams and Joe kubert illustrated story about Dina.. Anyone reading this has to go get it.

It will remind you of Maus and make you connect to Magneto like never before...

supahman, glad you liked this HC so much. Pak is, indeed, just fantastic and I had no idea how accomplished he is until reading the credits in the sleeve of the dust cover. In addition to his film and comic book writing credits, he has a political science degree from Yale (where my dad got his PhD in poli sci), was a Rhodes Scholar at Oxford University and studied film production at the NYU graduate film program.

This book really is in a class all it's own. It's a real triumph of storytelling.

supahman
05-31-2009, 09:45 AM
Ahh.. i went bk to read the credits.. :).. No wonder.. The attention to detail is fabulous..

protector2814
06-01-2009, 08:54 AM
WOW! That last page 'reveal' in the New Avengers was so surprising and exciting to me, I was buzzing for a while after closing the back cover.
It really goes to show you how many amazing characters the MU has, if only they'd' stop mining the same 20.

Great reviews, thanks to you all. This was a great week for comics. Everything I read was gangbusters. Ghostrider, Old Man Logan, New Avengers, Nova, ...
were all on top of their game.

thecallahan
06-01-2009, 09:33 AM
Great reviews as always guys. I wanted to get the Mags: Last Testament but it was a premiere hc, I'm going to wait on the tpb.

supahman
06-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Well.. it's wrth the HC.. but get the tpb..w hen it cms.. it shd be on yr shelf..

Primal
06-01-2009, 10:14 AM
The Hood and Mephisto spar physically and verbally with Hellstrom, seemingly pretty evenly matched but still causing quite the wake of fiery destruction.

Mephisto? I thought it was Dormammu. :confused:
Unless I'm missing something.

Just read New Avengers and I gotta say, I liked it a lot! I've never given Son of Satan much attention but Bendis had him talking like a character I should definitely be interested in. :buttrock:

And an exciting last page even though it's another character I never cared for but maybe Bendis will make him cool too. :D

wktf
06-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Mephisto? I thought it was Dormammu. :confused:
Unless I'm missing something.

Sorry, it's Dormammu. :D

bat_collector
06-04-2009, 01:13 AM
Wow, just read Green Lantern (didn't get a chance to get it while I was at Botcon in Cali).

Wow, what a great read!