PDA

View Full Version : Question about low light photography

Sinatra VonDoom
08-06-2009, 12:11 PM
I take awful photos and know very little about doing so. Some people on here take amazing photo's so i thought you might be able to lend me a hand.

During my morning walk it is still dark, a little before 5:00 AM, I have been encountering a pack of coyotes. Living in the city this kind of blows my mind. My attempts at capturing video look like old big foot sightings. I was thinking about trying to get some still photos. I can't use a flash as it would spook them, so what are my odds of getting anything worthwhile. There are streetlights, but often the coyotes are a good distance from them. Is there a particular setting or strategy I should employ?

I have an older basic camera, but have been considering getting a new one for a while. Any advice would be appreciated.

dr_teng
08-06-2009, 01:32 PM
You could use a tripod and use longer exposures. That's about the only method that works, while keeping it fairly noise free. The only problem is if the animals are moving, it'll end up looking blurry.

Another option, like you mentioned, is getting a newer camera with better low-light performance, or a SLR and getting lenses that work well in lower light situations.

Sinatra VonDoom
08-06-2009, 02:25 PM
You could use a tripod and use longer exposures. That's about the only method that works, while keeping it fairly noise free. The only problem is if the animals are moving, it'll end up looking blurry.

Another option, like you mentioned, is getting a newer camera with better low-light performance, or a SLR and getting lenses that work well in lower light situations.

Thanks for the info, the little fellas are on the move so longer exposure probably wont work. I had been looking at the Canon Digital Rebel XSi before I ran across the coyotes. Maybe I will pick one up and give it a shot.

dr_teng
08-06-2009, 03:40 PM
That's what I use, the Rebel XSI. Low-light performance is pretty good! You might have to run a bit of noise reduction software on the final products, but you should be able to get some nice shots if you get a decent lens.

Sinatra VonDoom
08-06-2009, 04:25 PM
That's what I use, the Rebel XSI. Low-light performance is pretty good! You might have to run a bit of noise reduction software on the final products, but you should be able to get some nice shots if you get a decent lens.

Good to know. I guess a camera is only as good as the person using it. After seeing your work I'm sure you could capture these guys and make it look ready for National Geographic. I'll be happy if I can get them centered and recognizable.:) With a little practice hopefully I can get halfway decent.

Thanks again for the help.

P1X4R
08-06-2009, 05:26 PM
shoot at wide open apertures to let in more light. you'll also want to set your DSLR to shoot at 1600 or higher ISO. noise will be more apparent but necessary to capture your subjects under extremely low light conditions. as dr_teng mentioned there are noise reduction programs that can help with this. also, if you can try to get a long telephoto lens which will put a good distance from you and the creatures who may be sensitive to any human presence. good luck!

Sinatra VonDoom
08-06-2009, 06:21 PM
shoot at wide open apertures to let in more light. you'll also want to set your DSLR to shoot at 1600 or higher ISO. noise will be more apparent but necessary to capture your subjects under extremely low light conditions. as dr_teng mentioned there are noise reduction programs that can help with this. also, if you can try to get a long telephoto lens which will put a good distance from you and the creatures who may be sensitive to any human presence. good luck!

More great info, thanks.:buttrock:

CharlesSong
08-06-2009, 07:27 PM
There's no way those coyotes will NOT be moving. The only solutions to your problem seems unforunately to be expensive ones, since you are not wanting to use flash.

A camera body that handles high ISO well. $$$$

Lenses with large apertures-- and in this case, with long focal lengths $$$$

Tripod, monopod on top of that will never hurt, unless they start chasing you :laugh:

Sinatra VonDoom
08-06-2009, 07:57 PM
There's no way those coyotes will NOT be moving. The only solutions to your problem seems unforunately to be expensive ones, since you are not wanting to use flash.

Tripod, monopod on top of that will never hurt, unless they start chasing you :laugh:

That's a lot of $$ signs.:laugh: These are "urban" coyotes so they aren't quite as skittish. They actually pause and watch me when I go by, but not long enough to set up a tripod. They like to keep about a thirty foot buffer between us...which is fine by me:D
Thanks for the info.

hazmatt
08-06-2009, 09:45 PM
If you are seeing the coyotes on a regular basis, trying a flash might not be a bad idea. Because they are used to an urban setting, they may have a higher tolerance before running off. If they do get spooked you should run into them again and have another opportunity to take some pictures (this time without flash). The flash will freeze any motion and by using a manual setting you could fire the flash and still use a longer exposure. If you decide to try a longer exposure a tripod is mandatory (as mentioned above). This should saturate the exposure with more colors, let in more ambient light and may help the photo to look more natural....or may provide some cool unexpected results.

JadeGiant
08-06-2009, 09:56 PM
go with the Flash C ... see what happens!

Zurbaran1
08-06-2009, 10:18 PM

I'm lucky enough to have a Canon 5D Mark II and a range of L prime glass and the combination is absolutely amazing in low light situations. In fact, I have yet to break out the flash unit. I recently spent 3 weeks in Europe and have some amazing pictures taken in very low light. The 5D Mark II is exceptional at ISOs as high as 3200 (and even 6400). I've yet to load my pics and work on them but when I do I will post some here. I think the 5DII and a 135L/2.0 would have no problem with those coyotes. What it does to your wallet though, is something else.

CharlesSong
08-06-2009, 11:58 PM
That's the camera I'm eyeing when I upgrade Zurb! I don't think I will ever get/afford any of the venerable L Prime super lenses (85L etc) but I think I'm ok with that.

I mean, HOW MUCH fun will I be having with ISO 3200? It's crazy.

I'm still rocking a Canon 350D! Quantum leap baby!

Sinatra VonDoom
08-07-2009, 05:46 AM
Thanks for all the input everyone, looks like I have a couple of options.

go with the Flash C ... see what happens!

Hopefully what happens doesn't result in a picture like this.:laugh:
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc57/major237/fun/gooddog.jpg

CharlesSong
08-07-2009, 11:51 AM
:laugh:

speedracer
08-16-2009, 08:26 AM
The new dslrs handle high iso very very well with minimal noise. I also had to take night shots of the conditions of the homeless at 2 am in the morn. Definitely couldnt use flash. but with a 50 1.4 and near dark conditions the cam worked well enough to capture the mood..=)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3575/3295855373_9f731efe9f.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3336/3296691702_4fdb8e73f4.jpg

For me the story is much more important by how sharp the shot is. A slightly blurred shot with something to say is a much better than a tack sharp shot with nothing to say. JMHO..=)