PDA

View Full Version : Comic Reviews: Superman/Batman, Day of Vengence, Batman

bat_collector
04-28-2005, 01:46 AM
It was a great week of comics. We had a terrific start to Day of Vengence, a satisfying conclusion to Phoenix:Endsong, and the strongerst issue to date from the recent run of Batman. Too bad New Avengers was a so-so issue w/ great art and superman/batman had the most forgettable story ever.

My pick of the Week, Batman#639!

Superman/Batman#19
The Good: Issue 20 starts a brand new story arc w/ the return of Ed McGuiness. Really that's the only good thing about this issue.
The Bad:Everything about this issue reeks of throw-away. Remember that story between the 1st and 2cd arc where Robin and Superboy whine the whole issue? This is just like that, but worse.
The Ugly:Having a bratty Supergirl tell off both Batman and Superman, who obviously have nothing better to do than watch over Supergirl's shoulder. What a let down after a fantastic issue #18.

Batman #639
The Good:Batman has been probably the one book that ties in the best with the events in Identity Crisis and Countdown. In this issue, an extremely suspicious Batman meets with Zatanna and Green Arrow to learn more on how a dead person can rise from the dead (presumably Jason Todd). What makes this issue excellent are the tense conversations he has with the both of them. The fallout from Batman's mindwipe by the hands of league seems to be on the horizon. Don't worry, Red Hood is in this issue too!
The Bad: No complaints, this series is just getting better.
The Ugly: A whole month till issue #640

Day of Vengence #1
The Good:Not as good as OMAC, but great anyway. The Spectre has gone crazy and is out to wipe out all magic in the universe. Cany anyone stop him? And is Jean Loring the new Eclipso? This issue is easy for anyone unfamiliar with DC to jump in on. However . . .
The Bad: Ragman? the enchantress? Are all these characters new, or part of the DC that I don't know about?
The Ugly: A talking monkey detective? You gotta be kidding me!

MiamiLoco
04-28-2005, 03:27 AM
I think Ragman has been around since the 80s.

madjazz
04-28-2005, 07:42 AM
Talking monkey detective? Sounds like Ape from Angel and the Ape. I haven't read the book yet but it's in my pile.

Sam Wilson
04-28-2005, 08:01 AM
My pick of the Week, Batman#639!

Batman #639
The Good:Batman has been probably the one book that ties in the best with the events in Identity Crisis and Countdown. In this issue, an extremely suspicious Batman meets with Zatanna and Green Arrow to learn more on how a dead person can rise from the dead (presumably Jason Todd). What makes this issue excellent are the tense conversations he has with the both of them. The fallout from Batman's mindwipe by the hands of league seems to be on the horizon. Don't worry, Red Hood is in this issue too!
The Bad: No complaints, this series is just getting better.
The Ugly: A whole month till issue #640

Like your style Bats, anyway, I kinda gave up on Batman. Winick never impressed me, and when I heard Jason Todd came back I really became leary. But now I'm thinking it I should give it another shot.

bat_collector
04-28-2005, 08:12 AM
You can always call me biased about Batman.

I may be one of the few who are actually excited Jason Todd is back. What I have liked best about Batman is the way it has tied in with IC and Countdown. The previous story arc dealt w/ the stolen krptonite and a little on the takover of the Kord corp.

As far as Ragman, I was sure he was around before, but I'm so umfamiliar w/ DC magicians I am just not sure.

wktf
04-28-2005, 10:01 AM
The one thing you didn't mention was Churchill's art on Superman/Batman, which is just aweful. Didn't like his art on Superman and it's worse here. What a major, overall, disappointment.

bat_collector
04-28-2005, 10:28 AM
The one thing you didn't mention was Churchill's art on Superman/Batman, which is just aweful. Didn't like his art on Superman and it's worse here. What a major, overall, disappointment.
Yes, the art is bad. And what's up w/ supergirl being more powerful than Superman. That is a bad idea.

hillis3
04-28-2005, 10:48 AM
The Bad: Ragman? the enchantress? Are all these characters new, or part of the DC that I don't know about?
The Ugly: A talking monkey detective? You gotta be kidding me!

These characters have been around for awhile.

He has not shown up in about 50 years but how could you not know about Detective Chimp

bat_collector
04-28-2005, 10:57 AM
These characters have been around for awhile.

He has not shown up in about 50 years but how could you not know about Detective Chimp
I'm a pretty novice DC reader still. That is why like this book. so many characters I don't know about.