PDA

View Full Version : advice for a beginner

liquid13
08-29-2009, 10:30 AM
Hi everyone I stumbled upon this forum about a month ago and I'm just amazed by the amount of talent in here; so much that it has inspired me to try and sculpt.

My question is what do you guys think is easiest for a beginner to sculpt? human figures or mechanical things i"m torn between trying to sculpt a batman or a car. I have watched videos on modeling cars out of clay and I have lurked around this forum looking at every WIP thread and reading a few tutorials.

what do the wise people of this forum suggest?

DarthKy
08-29-2009, 10:42 AM
id say go for a human sculpt
easier than mechanical id say

C. Bormann
08-29-2009, 05:56 PM
A car has too much precision and symmetry.

Human figures are difficult enough, but there can be a lot of variation. Even professionals like Randy Bowen will tell you he hates sculpting ears. So he will hide one side in the hair to avoid having to duplicate it on the other side. Other things you can do is have one hand open and the other in a fist.

Anyway, you are off to a good start. You are asking questions and advice. The more thought that you put into a project, the more it will show in the end. Think about what you want to accomplish and what you need to do to get the results that you are looking for.

If you choose to sculpt a human figure, then find a skeletal diagram that you feel comfortable working from. Remember that your wire armature is based exactly on certain points of the skeleton. And also get a muscular diagram in the same scale. Study it a little and look at people that you pass by. Pay attention to which muscles are contracted and which ones are relaxed. Also look at where the actual pivot points are for the skeleton and how the muscles and tendons wrap around those points.

liquid13
08-30-2009, 12:49 AM
id say go for a human sculpt
easier than mechanical id say

thanks i think you're right too

A car has too much precision and symmetry.

Human figures are difficult enough, but there can be a lot of variation. Even professionals like Randy Bowen will tell you he hates sculpting ears. So he will hide one side in the hair to avoid having to duplicate it on the other side. Other things you can do is have one hand open and the other in a fist.

Anyway, you are off to a good start. You are asking questions and advice. The more thought that you put into a project, the more it will show in the end. Think about what you want to accomplish and what you need to do to get the results that you are looking for.

If you choose to sculpt a human figure, then find a skeletal diagram that you feel comfortable working from. Remember that your wire armature is based exactly on certain points of the skeleton. And also get a muscular diagram in the same scale. Study it a little and look at people that you pass by. Pay attention to which muscles are contracted and which ones are relaxed. Also look at where the actual pivot points are for the skeleton and how the muscles and tendons wrap around those points.

thanks to me that applies to life overall with information and a plan things always turn out better :)

i've always been fascinated with anatomy of the human body since i was little i have looked thru many anatomy books i understand how the skeletal and muscular system tie in together. Well lets see how i can use that knowledge in a sculpture