PDA

View Full Version : Help deciding between the Canon XS and XSi

JC30
09-14-2009, 03:06 PM
Hi guys, I'm going to be upgrading to my first DLSR camera in about a month or so and I've been leaning towards the rebel XSi for the past couple weeks, but now I'm starting to find out that the XS is just as good and for about 100 dollars less...

Now I'm not a professional photographer but Ive always had a passion for photography and looking to get back into it and learning about DLSR...My main focus is gonna be mainly outdoor photography...

I just want to get the camera that produces the best picture quality...I'm not conerned about the spot metering etc...So I'm just wanting the best advice between the XS and XSi...if the Xsi produces the better image then i'll go for that, if the XS produces image quality close or identical to the XSi then I might use the money I saved and buy a better lens and a bag....What it comes down to is I don't want to get the XS and think..."oh man, I should of got the XSi"

So my question is...Which is the better camera for me, the XSi or the XS? Is the image quality really that much better in the XSi than the XS or is it the same? and will I tell much difference between the 10mp and the 12 mp? Should I save my money and buy the XS and use the rest to invest in a better lens?

So any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated guys as I will be leaning towards your opinions towards which camera I choose...Thanks for hearing me out guys :)

dr_teng
09-15-2009, 11:41 AM
The XS isn't a bad camera by any means, and while image quality will be similar (10mp to 12mp isn't a huge deal), it is still an improvement on the XSI.

Off the top of my head, I believe it has this over the XS : Live view (not important to me, but most people like this), larger LCD monitor, improved auto focus (quite important!), larger viewfinder (quite important to me anyways), and ... hmm, that's all I remember, but I know there's more.

If you'd rather invest the $100 in a lens (not a bad idea), go for it, but I personally felt the XSI was worth a few extra bucks.