PDA

View Full Version : paintmasters! i need some advice on airbrushes

matthew smith
05-03-2005, 09:55 AM
i have just started to do a few sculpts using supersculpey, however i now need to start painting the sculpt and would like some advice on airbrushes in general. i have looked at a few websites that sell them, but as expected they said every one they had was fantastic and i dont know any better. i was wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are between suction feed and gravity feed?? also when they say fluid nozzle 0.25mm, like this one in the link, does this mean that you would be able to get a line that fine??
any advice and some links as to were to get them would be greatly apprecaited

heres the link

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=57209&item=8189104590&rd=1

Arahom Radjah
05-03-2005, 11:17 AM
This one is exactly like mine !!! I like gravity feed and double action. And I think is better to have the cup attached than free ( it falls every time !! )

In my opinion this one is a great, simple and practice option !!!

Arahom Radjah
05-03-2005, 11:20 AM
Check this link, you will find several option for aibrush !!! :)

http://www.****blick.com/

Man this is wierd but, the program of this forum don't allow that you write the word: D.I.C.K. !!!!! that's why you see those **** in the link that I'm trying to give you !!! :laugh: :laugh:

RickDTM
05-04-2005, 07:45 AM
That one doesn't look too bad, and if looks cheap enough for a starter brush. Personally, I would recommend an Iwata Revolution or Eclipse series. They are cheaper than the top of the line Iwata brushes, but offer the same quality in spray. Definitely go w/ a gravity feed. As is the link pic, the paint is gravity fed from the paint cup above, allowing you to use less air pressure to atomize the paint. A suction feed takes the paint from a cup or a bottle underneath the brush, requiring you to use a little higher air pressure to push the paint. Both types will give you great results w/ practice, but for fine detailing as on a kit or statue, you can't beat the gravity feed. W/ an .025 nozzle, you should be able to spray that fine a line using properly thinned paint. W/ practice, hairlines are possible! :D

Check this link -Dixie Art (http://www.dixieart.com/Iwata_Revolution_Airbrushes.html) You will find the Revolution CR. Great starter brush. Also, the site offers a complete starter set in case you need paints, airbrush and compressor. You will also find the Eclipse series on the site as well. Good luck and happy hunting!!

Rick

Zurbaran1
05-04-2005, 07:52 AM
Get the special airbrush with Rick's hand attached to it and you are good as gold! :laugh:

RickDTM
05-04-2005, 08:11 AM
Get the special airbrush with Rick's hand attached to it and you are good as gold! :laugh:

Yeah, but THAT one is gonna cost you more money than you possibly have...... :D

Zurbaran1
05-04-2005, 08:14 AM
Yeah, but THAT one is gonna cost you more money than you possibly have...... :D

There's always a catch. :laugh:

matthew smith
05-04-2005, 08:49 AM
thanks for all the advice fellas. i saw a tutorial on conceptart.com and the airbrush he was using was a iwata hp-c, i have since found this on a website in the uk..better for the postage costs, and seen another called iwata hp-c plus could you please tell me what the lever in the shaft of the airbrush adds to it and the knob at the back. heres the pics
the names are on the side of the airbrushes

also the hp-c plus one is cheaper because of an offer on at the minute
which do you guys think would be the best

RickDTM
05-04-2005, 10:09 AM
thanks for all the advice fellas. i saw a tutorial on conceptart.com and the airbrush he was using was a iwata hp-c, i have since found this on a website in the uk..better for the postage costs, and seen another called iwata hp-c plus could you please tell me what the lever in the shaft of the airbrush adds to it and the knob at the back. heres the pics
the names are on the side of the airbrushes

also the hp-c plus one is cheaper because of an offer on at the minute
which do you guys think would be the best

The HP-C Plus is a really cool brush. The knob is a back called a preset. It enables you to set the pull back on the lever to a specific place letting you spray the same line width every time. The hole in the cover allows you access to the needle w/out removing the cover. Helps when you might have to clear a clog. More of a conveinience than a necessity.

The HP-C is the same as the characteristics as the Plus, just w/out the extra features.

Fishsta
05-04-2005, 08:33 PM
I'm also in the market for an airbrush. What is your recommendation , if you had to choose one airbrush and all the other stuff that you need (compressor,etc). i've never used an airbrush before and this will be the only airbrush i ever buy, so i dont want a "starter brush". Also, are there specific paints you have to use with an airbrush, if so how easy are they to get. Thanks

Rich

DarkRaven
05-04-2005, 08:42 PM
What is your recommendation........... Thanks

Rich
I've used a Iwata for the past 20 yrs. At the time I bought it, it was top of the line....use it for some of my painting, but never for sculpture. One of the gurus here can give you better advise. Believe it or not, Badger was my first one...and still works 25 yrs later like a champ.

RickDTM
05-05-2005, 07:19 AM
DR - A Badger 150 was my first dbl action as well! Wore it out! :D

Fishta - I really would recommend you go w/ a lower end starter brush like the Eclipse or the Revolution. That way if you don't like it, you're not out a whole lot of money. BUT if you don't want to do that, I would recommend the HP-C, or the HP-B.