PDA

View Full Version : The Mighty Reviews 10/14/09

wktf
10-14-2009, 11:58 PM
Sam Wilson’s Reviews

Deadpool #900
Marvel Comics
Written by: Jason Aaron, Mike Benson, Victor Gischler, Charlie Huston, Joe Kelly, Fred Van Lente and Duane Swierczyndki
Drawn by: Kyle Baker, Shawn Crystal, Rob Liefeld, chris Staggs, Sanford Greene and Dalibor Talijic.
Cover by: Dave Johnson

Holy crap, Marvel's longest running book has finally hit it's 900th issue. Okay, well, not really, but Deadpool 900 is out and Marvel is celebrating anthology style with some of the hottest creators around. Among those are: Jason Aaron (seriously, unless you live in a box you've heard of him), Mike Benson (marvel's newest hotshot, right off his emmy-award winning run on HBO's "Entourage", you've recently seen him on Deadpool with his "Games of Death" one shot and the kick-ass slightly overlooked "Suicide Kings" mini), Charlie Huston (popular crime novelist and former "Punisher MAX" and "Moon Knight" scribe), Kyle Baker (penciller on Marvel's "The Truth" and "Rebirth of a Nation" with Reginald Hudlin") and Shawn Crystal (upcoming young gun at Marvel, you may remember him from the "Game of Death" one shot and Deadpool #'s 13 and 14). Yup, Marvel is pulling out all the stops for their resident "merc with a mouth", and have pulled out the big guns to give him an anniversary worth remembering.

So how are the stories? My personal favorites are the first one with Jason Aaron and Chris Staggs. Jason goes from his normal bad-ass self to some humor as he shows us what happens when Wade gets abducted by aliens and then anally probed (I’m completely serious). My favorite story in the entire book is Mike Benson’s story (with art by Damien Scott). He has our boy Wade sitting on a shrinks couch, trying to figure out his schizophrenia and anger management issues. It takes a turn for the righteous though (not the crazy) and ends up fairly bad ass. Not what you would normally expect from a Deadpool story, but pretty freakin’ good (in my humble opinion). Finally there is Duane Swierczynski’s and Shawn Crystal’s story. As I’ve stated before, Shawn Crystal’s style matches Deadpool perfectly, and in this story we get more of that “peanut butter and chocolate” combination times 10 and Shawn brings it like never before. Anyway, Deadpool vs. CSI Las Vegas. Seriously. Freakin’ awesome…

So yeah. Deadpool fans, you will not be disappointed with this book. Stay tuned for the upcoming retro-tales of “Deadpool Team-Up” (seriously), coming to an LCS near you. In the meantime, pick this book up. Definitely worth the $4.99 (hey, it’s 104 pages of new material)…

Scalped #32
DC/Vertigo
Written by: Jason Aaron
Drawn by: R.M. Guera
Cover by: Jock

Dashiell Bad-Horse is the baddest motherfu**er in comics. Let me explain: he has a background as a combat vet, having served in Bosnia; he’s pretty adept at Jeet Kune Do (and the use of nunchucku by extension); and he’s a bona fide FBI agent. If you’ve been reading “Scalped” from the beginning like I have, you really don’t learn all that stuff until a few issues in. Dashiell introduces himself by beating the living fu** out of a bunch of people. With nunchucku. Yeah. Word. Soon enough we learn he is a tribal cop working for Chief Red-Crow, who is pretty much the Don of his rez (a South Dakota Native American reservation). Red-Crow came into power pretty much by violence and intimidation, and he is also responsible for the murder of two FBI agents, a crime which dates back to Wounded Knee in the 1970’s. Involved in that murder is Dashiell’s mom, whom he left when he was 13 intending never to come back. But he came back, and now works as a cop for the man who was indirectly responsible for his mother’s death and who lives off the subjugation and exploitation of his own people. Well, Dashiell really doesn’t work for the Chief. He actually works for a corrupt FBI agent who was friends with the agents Red-Crow killed back at Wounded Knee, and who wants Red-Crow taken down by any means necessary. Dashiell is more or less a tool, used by both sides unwillingly. Dashiell usually deals with the stress of this life by beating the living sh** out of people, having meaningless sex with old girlfriends, and most recently, drugs. So where is the story now?

The last story arc, “High Lonesome” concluded with Dash channeling Kurt Russel from “Tombstone” and seriously walking on some water; that and Dash’s drug use really, really catching up with him. He’s basically a junkie and is damn lucky he hasn’t been caught. Last issue started the new storyline “The Gnawing”. Dash has been charged by Red Crow to find the FBI informant within his organization. This freaks Dash out, and he only freaks out more when he finds out it was Agent Nitz who ratted him out to Red Crow in hopes of pushing Red Crow to the edge so he’d go over it. Meanwhile, Red Crow shoots a Hmong gang leader in the head because he’s tired of taking his sh**, unfortunately he shoots him in front of a dozen or so people. Dash finds out, and then Nitz does, and Dash thinks he’s out. Of course it isn’t that simple, in the current issue Nitz tries to talk to said witness before Red Crow has him killed. Before Nitz can get to him Red Crow is about to take him out back, but Dash busts him out only to have said witness escape. Yeah. If you think that’s crazy it ends with Catcher staring down the scope of a rifle and Dash making a deal with the devil. Oh hell yeah…

Hands down this is my favorite book coming out right now. Not since Preacher have I been this excited about a monthly. Jason Aaron is brutal, raw and unflinching in his story about life on the rez. After reading scalped sometimes you will think to yourself, “man, how bad ass is this? You are missing out if “Scalped” isn’t on your pull list. Word…

Trade Reviews

Ultimate Wolverine Vs. Hulk Premiere Hardcover
Marvel Comics
Written by: Damon Lindelof
Drawn by: Leinil Francis Yu

Ummm, so this book first came out as a limited series back in 2006, and the Ultimate U has changed a lot since then (the book originally took a long hiatus and finally finished up this summer). Ultimatum has wreckied sh** and, well, that’s pretty much it. Oh yeah, Nick Fury isn’t even on the planet, or the Ultimate U anymore and he’s the one that got this book rolling initially, sending Wolverine in to do the job he couldn’t (kill the Hulk). Whatever though, this book is finally being completed and it was pretty kick a** when it first came out, so we’ll do a quick update of the first two issues and move on. Anyway, as I was saying Nick Fury calls Wolverine in for one purpose and one purpose only: find the Hulk, kill him, and keep it freakin’ quiet. Helping him out is Dr. Jennifer Walters, one of the lead scientists on the original super-soldier project that created the Hulk. Betty Banner is present as well, using her PR skills to cover up the Hulk’s resurgence as he makes his way across Europe and into Asia. Anyway, the Hulk has been sighted in Asia, and off Wolvie goes to whack him and hopefully have a good time doing it. Yeah, and he gets to spend time with the foxy Dr. Jennifer Walters (who’s not the She-Hulk in the ultimate universe, at least not yet, as for what they do with her that remains to be seen).

If you read this book when it first came out, you know Wolvie vs. Hulk is some crazy sh**. I mean that in the most complimentary way. Thus far we have seen a lot; a shadowy mission, foxy women and balls out action, and damned if I ain’t pleased with the way Ultimate Jennifer Walters is turning out. Anyway, last we saw Wolvie and Hulk (and Jennifer), Wolvie had finally caught up with Jadejaws and was going to get himself some payback for getting his a** kicked (and ripped in half) earlier, and instead of a fight he gets a cup of cocoa? Then in a series of flashbacks (sort of), we learned exactly how Wolverine came to get himself ripped in half, and we get to see the Hulk’s harem of foxy monk chicks (seriously) and Ultimate She-Hulk. Last issue we get the origin of Ultimate She-Hulk, and well, its not Jennifer Walters, Ultimate She-Hulk is indeed Betsy Ross (gasp). Last issue Wolverine finds out his spirit animal is a Panda, Betty and Bruce get it on (maybe), Ultimate Forge shows up and Nick Fury is plotting (I know, a stretch), which brings us to our final issue. Wolvie tracks Banner (hulk) down, and Betty and Nick Fury shows up to pull the puppet strings, bringing things to a satisfying conclusion.

So yeah, Ultimate Hulk vs. Wolverine is finally out in its entirety and you can now pick it up for $24.99 in premiere hardcover format. Why pick it up? Leinil Yu is hands down my favorite comic artist putting out stuff right now, and seeing him draw the Hulk (and She-Hulk), well, that’s pretty much kick a** to an extreme level. Being a big fan of “Lost”, I’m cool with Lindelof. Yeah, they took She Hulk in a completely different direction than in the regular Marvel U, but the art and story are fantastic so I’ll get over it. So yeah, definitely recommended.

Ultimatum Premiere Hardcover
Marvel Comics
Written by: Jeph Loeb
Drawn by: Dave Finch

10 or so years ago when “Ultimate Spider-Man” first burst on the scene people raised an eyebrow. They did more than that actually, many feared a reinvention and didn’t want to see or hear anything about a possible new Marvel Universe. Tears were shed, LCS owners were pissed at and the powers that be at Marvel were cursed upon, heavily. Until of course the unexpected happened, the “Ultimate Spider-Man” was the best thing that had happened to Peter Parker in years. The books that followed were equally strong, “Ultimate X-men”, “Ultimate Fantastic Four”, “The Ultimates”, all were indeed fairly awesome and had the creative juice to back them up. With the likes of Warren Ellis, Bendis, Mark Millar, Bryan Hitch, and Adam Kubert, each of those books had strong creative teams and for a while provided a fresh and unhindered look at our favorite characters, free of years of baggage that was honestly weighing them down. Yeah, Nick Fury was black and Dr. Doom had hooves, but whatever. Things were good and got better. Dave Finch and Greg Land did stints on Ultimate X-Men and Ultimate FF, Bendis and Bagley stayed on Spider-Man for over 100 issues, even the Ultimate Annuals were pretty good. Of course nothing good lasts forever. Shorty after Land left FF the book took a severe turn for the lame. Loeb and Madureira on the Ultimates wasn’t nearly it was cracked up to be. “Ultimate Power” started strong, but I would have rather seen “Ultimate Power” finish in its own continuity than the attempted crossover, which resulted in the loss of one of the coolest characters in the Ultimate U. There was the fairly awesome Ultimate Extinction trilogy, and Ultimate Origins was pretty good, but those were the only two positive surrounded by a few years of meh. As far as “Ultimatum,” we are promised a whole new “thing” (whatever that may be) for the Ultimate U, and with Dave Finch and Jeph Loeb on the case things are defiantly looking up (yes, Finch is one of my favorites, no secret there). So how is it?

Honestly, it’s pretty damn good. First off, it’s beautiful. I know personally that Dave Finch put a lot of time into this book and it looks fantastic. Yes, art alone doesn’t make a comic book but with Ultimatum it comes damn close. Most of the major players are featured in this book and they never looked better (his Ben Grimm is awesome and his Valkyrie is just hot). As far as the story goes, that’s pretty sweet as well. It starts out with the red dot thing from “Ultimate Origins” showing up, and then several simultaneous catastrophic world events happening. Reed Richards flips out big time. A major Ultimate U baddie seems to be behind it all (if you’ve seen any of the preview covers you know who) and he just so happens to be in possession of Thor’s hammer. In issue two things get way, way worse. Two members of the Ultimate U meet with what seem like awful, disturbing deaths (well, one for sure), Thor goes to hell to save his girl (seriously) and finds Captain America there? For real, which brings us to issue three. Things get worse. Magneto is using James Maddrox to make an army of suicide bomber dupes to mess things up worldwide, and they hit the Triskelton. Meanwhile, the X-men regroup to mourn their losses and prepare to fight another day, while Thor and Captain America take on Hell and its mistress Hela for the soul of Valkyrie. Issue four follows up on the recent events in “Ultimate Spider-Man”. All the demons held in Dr. Strange’s SoHo loft have been set free by the Hulk and the Dr. pretty much gets his a** handed to him by the Dread Dormammu. Dormammu is also using Johnny Storm to fuel his powers, which brings Sue and Ben into the fold. Meanwhile, Reed Richards, Dr. Doom and Zarda go to the Supreme Universe (read “Ultimate Power” for the story on that) to bring Nick Fury back because the world is coming to an end and they need him. The final part of the issue has Captain America and what’s left of the Ultimates and the X-men storming Magneto’s citadel, and it all comes to an end in issue five. The heroes face off with Magneto and more people died (well, it seems that way anyway). Someone you didn’t expect to see ends up saving the day and the statues quo for the Ultimate Universe has changed, of that I have no doubt.

Now that this book is finally available in premiere hardcover format for $24.99, it’s defiantly time to pick it up if you haven’t gotten the limited series (or even if you did, it’s still worth picking up). Finch is sharper than he’s ever been and I’ll forgive Loeb for Red Hulk if he keeps things at this pace. Buying this book without being down with the Ultimate U would be a source of confusion for most, events in this book pick up where a lot of recent events in the Ultimate U left off, but whatever. “Ultimatum” lives up to the event hype around it. My highest recommendation.

Wktf’s Reviews

Blackest Night: Batman #3 (of 3)
DC Comics
Written by: Peter J. Tomasi
Drawn by: Ardian Syaf
Cover by: Andy Kubert
Variant cover by: Bill Sienkiewicz

One of the great things about Blackest Night is that not only has the core series been phenomenal but the spin off titles have been equally stunning. It looks like these stories, just based on this one and the Superman title, are standalone features that don’t really tie into or even enhance the core story event, but present tie in standalone one-off stories. But, hey, with this kind of comic book storytelling quality, it’s the reader who benefits as long as you’re willing to shell out the additional $2.99 (have comics really gotten that expensive?) per title.

This issue starts with a real bang as the new Batman, along with the new Red Robin, crash lands his plane in the middle of a Gotham cemetery after the risen corpses of the Flying Graysons and Tim Drakes parents attack the plane. Aided by Deadman, who took possession of Barbara Gordon, Robin (that punk Damian) begrudgingly got Commissioner and Barbara Gordan out of harm’s way so the story could focus on Dick and Tim. All of the Blackest Night event has been an emotional wringer, with the dead returning to attack their tortured loved ones or friends. But no title thus far has explored the depth of the pain this event is causing our living heroes like this one has. With supporting cast characters Deadman and Etrigan, a delightful surprise as I’m not sure I’ve ever seen these two supernatural characters together in one book, Tomasi has his Black Lanterns manipulate and suck our heroes into such an emotional spectrum of rage, will, and fear that their lives truly do seem in dire jeopardy.

This book was painful to read, but for all the right reasons. Newcomer Syaf’s art is just fantastic, blending action, fear and horror like a real pro. I can’t wait to see more work from him and actually hope to see him stretch his talents further in Blackest Night. Tomasi who, I felt, really mishandled Nightwing’s book, surprised me with his spot-on take on Dick Grayson, now as The Batman, as well as masterfully capturing the voices of Tim Drake, Damian Wayne and Boston Brand (why doesn't Etrigan speak in rhyme, though?). While some might consider the last page to be a bit anti-climactic after the two heroes' brilliant and dangerous escape, I found it more foreboding and even slightly hopeful. An all around excellent three part story.

Incredible Hercules #136
Marvel Comics
Written by: Greg Pak & Fred Van Lente
Drawn by: Reilly Brown
Cover by: Albuquerque & Rauch

Sometimes it’s okay to read a comic book just because it’s fun. Incredible Hercules is one of those books. Right now it’s running every other week, with alternating stories about Hercules and Amadeus Cho. These two had a falling out, sort of, and are marching down separate paths; however, they look to come back together with the next issue. Regardless, this issue is the finale of Hercules’ impersonation of Thor at the request of who he thinks is Baldar the Brave but, in reality, is the famous Walt Simonson creation of the dark elf Malekith the Accursed. As Baldar, Malekith convinced Hercules that Queen Alfyse of the Dark Elves was about to move against Asgard, and that the golden realm needed a champion in Thor’s absence. But really, the whole thing’s a conceit for Malekith to pit Hercules and Thor against each other so that he could move unfettered to rule the Nine Worlds. Naturally, Hercules has managed to get in a bit over his head in wooing the beautiful elf queen, and the now child-like Zeus (as Hercules mentions, it’s a long story) has been the Prince of Power’s comedic foil in Cho’s absence. It’s all a bit farfetched but has been plenty of cartoony fun up to this point when the inevitable showdown had to occur.

Unlike the prior issue’s introductions, recounting Hercules’ history with Thor and delivered with snide humor by Hercules, this introduction recounts these two titans’ first meeting in Thor Annual #1 but recounted by Thor. The usually more serious Thunder God shows plenty of good humor here, especially in his memory of wishing Hercules had worn some undergarment during their inaugural meeting! And, in this issue, posing as Hercules even as Hercules himself is posing as Thor, we indeed have “Thorcules versus Hercuthor!” Now, these two have met and tussled a few times in the past, most recently early on in Dan Jurgens and John Romita Jr’s pre-Dark Gods run on Thor’s book. But this encounter truly is the most unusual of all of them. The outcome, pretty much, is predetermined with “Hercules” having to stop “Thor” from aiding Queen Alfyse’s troops from invading Asgard. But “Thor” is unwilling to go down without at least making a good show of it. And, so, it’s on.

Reilly Brown’s less detailed, straight ahead pencils are probably well suited for a bawdier, cartoony Hercules story like this one. And this comic does, frankly, venture into some pretty puerile behavior that almost takes the story off course. Sure, we get to see a “clash of titans” and the identity exchange takes the edge off two friends’ having to throw down as they do. But the subtly, and not so subtly, raunchier aspects of the tale also took the book off course for me. In the end, this was a pretty harmless but also pointless story, and I’m hoping when Herc and Cho reunite we’ll get some of the spark back that this series recently has been lacking.

The Marvels Project #3 (of 8)
Marvel Comics
Written by: Ed Brubaker
Drawn by: Steve Epting
Covers by: Steve Epting, Gerald Parel, Steve McNiven

This terrific series, exploring the origins of the Marvel Universe while also seeking to cap off the commemoration of Marvel Comics’ 70th anniversary, continues true to course with this issue. World War II is underway and the U.S. is considering whether we should enter the fray. Thus far we’ve seen the creation of the original Human Torch, a murderous Nazi spy infiltrating our government under the alias of Professor Hamilton (is this a dig on a character by the same name from Superman’s books?), The Sub-Mariner experiencing terrible cruelty and death that the Nazis perpetrated against his people, a young doctor named Thomas Halloway inspired by the death of the Two-Gun Kid to assume the identity of the crime fighting Angel, and Nick Fury helping Professor Erskine defect and escape from Germany to aid America in the race to create the first super soldier. Can there be any doubt that Professors Hamilton and Erskine are destined to meet in a final, tragic encounter? If so, it’ll have to be in a future issue.

This third installment’s marquis event is the first encounter between The Human Torch, struggling for acceptance, and the justifiably embittered and enraged Sub-Mariner. In fact, when Officer Jim Hammond’s sergeant tells him to relax by going to Coney Island I couldn’t help smiling, knowing what had to happen next. This battle is beautifully orchestrated and executed. Reading Namor’s thoughts, as Brubaker makes us privy to them, while we certainly can’t justify or accept his actions we also can’t help feeling some sympathy for him. As well, invoking the title of a 1970s Marvel monster comic book, Bru also guides us along as The Human Torch begins to earn his reputation as one of Marvel’s greatest heroes. Speaking of 1970s titles, this issue gives us what may well be the earliest depiction of one of Marvel’s most famous watering holes receiving the trashing we know it often receives, only this time from The Angel (as opposed to a certain hornheaded later hero) in search of information. In addition, we’re given glimpses into Fury’s next assignment and can only hope he’ll be assigned an incredibly diverse team of Howlers to lead. And, surprisingly, we're brought into the world of the less well known Golden Age detective known as The Ferret. Seriously.

Brubaker and Epting have never been better together. And, as anyone who’s read their Eisner Award Winning work on Captain America knows, these two are among the best in the business. Here we have a tapestry of Marvel history all coming together into one incredibly cohesive and compelling storyline. Who knew all those events and stories created 70 years ago could actually come together as one integrated tale the way they do here? Brubaker, we already know, is the master storyteller and Epting one of the most brilliant illustrators in comics. Could there be any doubt this book would be a thing of beauty? Easily my pick of the week.

JDH
10-15-2009, 03:37 AM
Fast work guys. I'm behind on my reading, but glad to hear Marvels Project is good. The two Ultimate hardcovers Sam recommends are well worth picking up.

Justin
10-15-2009, 04:19 AM
Couldnt agree more on Blackest Night:Batman, it was a wonderful 3 part story and if all the other Blackest Night tie ins are to this quality it's going to be so much fun reading them all! :thumbs2:

supahman
10-15-2009, 08:50 AM
Blackest Night batman was so good... I'm getting worried, that m getting used to dick behind the cowl.. I was feelin weird when i was watchin an episode of " The Batman " while havin' dinner..

Any one read Adventure comics?? My LCS got short on it and the ultimate wolvie vs. hulk HC..

abarron
10-15-2009, 08:56 AM
Looking forward to deadpool 900

Primal
10-15-2009, 10:34 AM
BN: Bats was a great series and the emotions expressed by the last issue with regards to reliving the past with their families was touching & disturbing at the same time. Moreso since the heroes were in denial.

LOVED the Identity Crisis re-enactment.

supahman
10-15-2009, 12:13 PM
I loved the End.. N GLC rocked so Hard.. I love it that the Green lanterns are starting to fight back and aren't getting slaughtered by the dozen any more.. Normally the problem with some of the DC stories ( Infinite crisis etc. ) is that only at the end the Heroes win.. right upto the last issue.. they will be gettin screwed... n then in the end they triumph.. I dn't mind the getting screwed part.. bt u gotta win some battles at least if u r gonna win the war..

wktf
10-15-2009, 01:05 PM
...LOVED the Identity Crisis re-enactment.

That was pretty creepy and really well done. Amazing, as you said, how the heroes got so easily played by the Black Lanterns, and the notion of their hearts "marinating" in the range of emotions was a shudder for me.

wktf
10-16-2009, 09:51 AM
This article caused me to go back and re-read the sound effects in Incredible Hercules. Seriously, best and most funny sound effects in a comic book today!

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/091015-Change-of-Pace-Hercules.html

http://i.newsarama.com/images/HERC136_int-SFX1.jpg

supahman
10-16-2009, 10:48 AM
Lol.. m gonna take a shot at the trade n see hwr it goes.. Whattaaman !!