PDA

View Full Version : Which Venom Statue?

komodo112
10-18-2009, 01:19 PM
http://www.nsidecollectibles.com/images/6833_press01-001.jpg

VS

http://photos.actionfigs.com/data/4386/SDC_65741.JPG

Amazing Spider-man #317 is the book that got me into collecting. Venom became one of my favorite characters and people who can't understand why people like me love this character so much probably haven't read McFarlane's Work.

I decided to purchase a Venom Statue but for now, I am going to choose one but torn between Sideshow's or Kotobukiya's.

Here are the pros and cons I see:

Sideshow:

Pros: I like the overall sculpt more. Little things like his veins to Venom's Symbiote trailing his feet.

Cons: I was never a fan of the frog tongue and those fingernails are yucky

Kotobukiya:

Pros: Finally!! A McFarlane Venom!! No Crazy Tongue. The pose is menacing and a really nice touch with the light-up base.

Cons: The Sideshow Model looks like it has more detail and I wasn't a huge fan of plastic.

I'm hoping to gather more opinions. These are the two that impressed me the most so far, but if you all have other choices, I like to hear them.

The Bowen one is awesome, but I like these two a liiiiiiitle more.

chezzrok
10-18-2009, 01:40 PM
Sideshow although the Koto. company did and excellent job!

El Diablo
10-18-2009, 01:59 PM
It's depends on the version of venom you like the most personally i'm not a fan of the no tongue venom (though that koto statue is very good). So it's the ss statue for me.

IronLungs31
10-18-2009, 02:26 PM
Why pose a personal question when it's clear that you may have your own preference.

Pick the one that you like most.

The one with less cons in your opinion.

Vracula
10-18-2009, 03:00 PM
I find the ligt base on the koto beyond ridiculous,other than that ,it is by far one of their best efforts yet.
Im personally buying the sideshow one coz it just blew my socks off.

Andrew
10-18-2009, 03:14 PM
That Sideshow piece is sick! No question I would go with the first. I think you would get bored of the second choice after a while, but with pieces that have lots of detail there is always something to look at, study, and apprecitate.

Sideshow for me!

Two other points:

1) The base on the Sideshow piece is WAY more elaborate. Not even a comparison.

2) Depending on what type of collector you are and how pro-active you want to be, you could simply have someone chop some of that tongue off the Sideshow piece and sculpt a tip to the end of it and re-paint. I think this would be very easy to do and you could have the best of both worlds. I have already had someone do similar custom jobs for me on two of my statues (not marvel related). Very much worth it!

komodo112
10-18-2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the feedback so far.

To be honest, I was leaning more towards Sideshow too, although the Kotobukiya one is still fantastic.

It's funny you mentioned the idea for a custom job.

I was thinking of doing one for Anti-Venom.

The Milestone Carnage would make an awesome repaint to have it look like Anti-Venom instead.

I'm not even a Carnage Fan but I think this statue is phenomenal

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_l_fmxr35cug/Sb1zNQDxTJI/AAAAAAAAAQo/a-iGkVmRJM0/MarvelMilestones1.JPG

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_l_fmxr35cug/Sb12KsfCNtI/AAAAAAAAARE/Kf37--yodKM/MarvelMilestones4.JPG

pavehawk78
10-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Buy both...I plan to!

Ink
10-18-2009, 04:23 PM
sideshow

DRL
10-19-2009, 12:16 AM
Buy both...I plan to!

thats my plan as well :thumbs2:

Gannon
10-19-2009, 02:52 AM
http://www.nsidecollectibles.com/images/6833_press01-001.jpg

VS

http://photos.actionfigs.com/data/4386/SDC_65741.JPG

Amazing Spider-man #317 is the book that got me into collecting. Venom became one of my favorite characters and people who can't understand why people like me love this character so much probably haven't read McFarlane's Work.

I decided to purchase a Venom Statue but for now, I am going to choose one but torn between Sideshow's or Kotobukiya's.

Here are the pros and cons I see:

Sideshow:

Pros: I like the overall sculpt more. Little things like his veins to Venom's Symbiote trailing his feet.

Cons: I was never a fan of the frog tongue and those fingernails are yucky

Kotobukiya:

Pros: Finally!! A McFarlane Venom!! No Crazy Tongue. The pose is menacing and a really nice touch with the light-up base.

Cons: The Sideshow Model looks like it has more detail and I wasn't a huge fan of plastic.

I'm hoping to gather more opinions. These are the two that impressed me the most so far, but if you all have other choices, I like to hear them.

The Bowen one is awesome, but I like these two a liiiiiiitle more.

if not mistaken, the koto one is not made of plastic. Could be wrong.

Vracula
10-19-2009, 04:44 AM
if not mistaken, the koto one is not made of plastic. Could be wrong.

its polystone for sure not vinyl ,don't know about the base though?

nbr3bagshotrow
10-19-2009, 08:43 AM
How is that Koto Venom compared to Bowen pieces. I really want a Bowen classic Venom but it's going for too much now.

Ink
10-19-2009, 10:39 AM
How is that Koto Venom compared to Bowen pieces. I really want a Bowen classic Venom but it's going for too much now.

I think the koto is 12"

CKinSD
10-19-2009, 11:04 AM
both of course if you are hardcore venom fan. :)

out of the two i think the koto has a cleaner look and is one of the very few ever done without the tongue. It will be 13" inches tall with that light up base. I think that base will take it over the top for display purposes. up lighting on a dark shelf wit hthat pose will be creepy as hell!

I've got almost every venom piece to date except the movie versions. (have a few but not rellay venom to me) this includes pre-paints, kits, action figures, clocks, shirts, plushes, pins, hat etc etc etc etc etc............... and original art of course

komodo112
10-19-2009, 11:41 AM
The Kotobukiya Venom is 13' tall.

This link provides further details and it turns out it is made of porcelain.

http://store.kotous.com/villain-series-venom-fine-art-statue.html

I like them both, and they're both well done.

CKinSD, I agree with your choice about not purchasing the Spider-man 3 Movie statues. After seeing Venom disgraced like that I'm boycotting further Spider-man Movies.

If a spin-off movie is made, I hope it's not as bad, but after reading about it so far, I'm not hopeful after what I read about it so far.

gbeef
10-20-2009, 11:20 PM
very cool... koto did an awsome job but ive seen the SS version and its freaking awsome.

jsnchrry
10-22-2009, 01:49 AM
i wouldnt buy either but I do think the koto is nice. For me I wouldnt buy it cause I dont care for light up statues. The base just looks cheesy to me....reminds me of the koto Ironman with its plastic-y base. I think I would opt for the crouching Venom Bowen statue if I was to buy a Venom statue at all.

archangel_metal
10-22-2009, 06:03 AM
for me, i'll get the SS Venom. the bigger the better!! and its much more detailed. jmo

nemesisenforcer
10-22-2009, 08:43 AM
You can not lose with Sideshow.

Sniper
10-22-2009, 11:15 AM
It's depends on the version of venom you like the most personally i'm not a fan of the no tongue venom (though that koto statue is very good). So it's the ss statue for me.

I am the opposite, I hate the tongue on venom.!