PDA

View Full Version : Research Needed to Attend SDCC 2010

BobAgentOfHYDRA
10-19-2009, 03:32 PM
Hi all,

I am relatively new at the convention scene, but after attending NYCC 09 and the recent Big Apple Con, I have the sudden urge to go to the big show, SDCC 2010. I know there are a lot of convention pros here so I was wondering what kind of research do I have to do to make this trip a reality.

The ideal situation would be to go to San Diego for the entire week of con with my friends who are not into comics to see Cali. Then on the weekends I would nerd out at SDCC.

Most important:
1. How much for a weekend pass?
2. Is it worth it to go all three days?
3. How much should I be expecting to drop for flight and hotel?

Any other information or experience you can share would be helpful as well. Hopefull I can get the ball rolling on this and experience the awesomeness of SDCC. Hell maybe I could even meet Olivia Munn.

Scottsdale Saint
10-19-2009, 04:36 PM
SDCC is actually four and half days if you include the Wednesday preview night. They don't have weekend passes, but you can buy individual days, depending on the days you want to go, I've gone on ten different occassions and had fun going every single minute of every single day, but I'm a geek that way. I'd say a weekend would be a good intro to SDCC, as it is a whole lot to digest for a newbie.

Round trip airfare costs what it costs usually, there isn't a price bump for SDCC, but I'm sure that depending on the flights you want, the cheaper flights could sell out more quickly. Hotels are a different story altogether, and if you need one, reserving your room sooner rather than later is recommended. Generally the closer to the convention center you are, the pricier, and the sooner they are at full capacity. Good luck.

BobAgentOfHYDRA
10-19-2009, 05:16 PM
have tickets gone on sale for SDCC 2010 yet? I am looking on the site and I see something about 4-day memberships and registration online. how exactly does this stuff work?

Scottsdale Saint
10-19-2009, 05:51 PM
Four day memberships went on sale during the 2009 SDCC. Five day memberships are sold out, four day memberships are still available. You buy the membership through the website, and then you pick up the badge onsite. They quit mailing them out after 9/11, IIRC.

Royd
10-25-2009, 01:12 AM
Isn't there a date from which hotels become available at the convention rate? Somewhere around March? I've heard it can be a tedious process hanging on the phone waiting to make a reservation.

I didn't want to take the chance and found a hotel a mile from the convention centre which was priced at $250.00 a night. I'll be sharing with a friend so we can split the cost.

Spideristic
10-25-2009, 06:15 AM
Is it better to wait until March for the hotel booking via the Comic Con website?

If somebody books a room now do they lose potential room discounts reserved for comic con?

I am guessing rooms actually would be more expensive for booking later during 2010.. am I right?

Scottsdale Saint
10-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Booking a room now, and attempting to book a room at the con rate is the best way to go. Trying to book when the con rooms open is a friggin' nightmare at best and your odds of getting through online or by phone are none or bend over. Seriously. Having the one reservation in pocket is a good way to make sure you at least have that room for sure.