PDA

View Full Version : Canon EOS-1D MARK-IV

Zurbaran1
11-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Now that Canon has announced the 1DMIV is anyone out there thinking of picking one up? Sounds like an awesome camera and I'm thinking evil thoughts but at $5,000 this is no causual purchase. I am seriously loving my 5DMarkII so I'll probably pass. For now. :eplus2:

Bullseye
11-02-2009, 03:29 PM
$5000 is alot if this is only a hobby. But if your serious about this as an artform then it might be an option.

nbr3bagshotrow
11-02-2009, 03:30 PM
$5000 is alot if this is only a hobby. But if your serious about this as an artform then it might be an option.

yeah! Just think what you have spent on the statue/bust hobby?

Zurbaran1
11-02-2009, 03:31 PM

True, but I am really getting back into photography and I have spent way more that that on my L glass.

Bullseye
11-02-2009, 03:31 PM
LOL very true but how many single purchases have you spent $5000?

Bullseye
11-02-2009, 03:32 PM
True, but I am really getting back into photography and I have spent way more that that on my L glass.

Is Canon the only make you will consider?

Upitnik
11-02-2009, 03:40 PM
This is some serious equipment and if I were you(have that kind of money) I'd wait for the 1Ds mark IV(which will be pretty soon) before upgrading since the 5D is quite remarkable and you'd only get speed with the 1d mark IV. Its really for reporters and such where speed is an issue but hey if its not a big deal get it. I'd be interested in your opinion of it.

P.S. I already hate you for having my dream lenses, if you get this we are not friends anymore :D

Zurbaran1
11-02-2009, 03:43 PM
Is Canon the only make you will consider?

At this point, yes. I am too heavily invested in Canon lenses to start over with Nikon. Besides I am quite happy with Canon.

Bullseye
11-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Ah yes I guess you will want to keep existing lenses. Can you get a trade in on your existing camera?

Zurbaran1
11-02-2009, 03:47 PM
This is some serious equipment and if I were you(have that kind of money) I'd wait for the 1Ds mark IV(which will be pretty soon) before upgrading since the 5D is quite remarkable and you'd only get speed with the 1d mark IV. Its really for reporters and such where speed is an issue but hey if its not a big deal get it. I'd be interested in your opinion of it.

P.S. I already hate you for having my dream lenses, if you get this we are not friends anymore :D

You make a lot of sense. I'm probably not going to get it. As you rightly point out, the 5DM2 is so awesome. I am still learning to handle it so, it doesn't make sense to add another body just yet. But one can dream, no? Besides, if this will ruin our friendship then forget it. My friend, I would gladly trade some of those lenses to be half as good a photographer as you are.

Zurbaran1
11-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Ah yes I guess you will want to keep existing lenses. Can you get a trade in on your existing camera?

Why? The 5DM2 is an amazing camera and you will have to pry it from my dead hands. I've also got a 40D and it is more than adequate.

Upitnik
11-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Thank you very much but trust me it comes with time if you are willing to really devote yourself. But I'll write some more soon in my anecdote :)

And of course one can dream (I do all the time, thats why I probably have so much superheros in my home), but you asked a serious question so I gave a response which I believe would suit your needs the best. And one other thing about dreaming: be wary, my wife gives me the evil eye every now and then because everyday I spend time googling the net for new equipment, reviews and basically photo news. When I mention some Hasselblads, large format cameras and such the word divorce comes to her mind :D

Bullseye
11-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Hasselblads... Unless Zurb is going into the studio that's alot of money.

IronLungs31
11-09-2009, 02:38 PM
(Zurbaran) or anyone that can help... I was thinking of getting myself a 24-105mm L series lens, but not sure if there is a major difference from the 28-135mm macro lens that I have. If you could spend a little time explaining or even better posting a picture, if you have this lens in your collection. I'm really working hard to get better at taking photos, especially of my statue collection. Here are a few photos of statue that I have taken with my 28-135mm macro lens. Maybe explain what would be the difference in these pictures, if I was using a 24-105mm L series lens.

This was taken under a lighting setup (Indoors)...
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr221/IronLungs31/DaredevilGoblin1.jpg

This one was taken at about 3 PM in the afternoon in shade (sunny day, Outdoors)...
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr221/IronLungs31/Deadpool1.jpg

This was taken at about 8:30 AM overcast morning (Outdoors)...
http://i486.photobucket.com/albums/rr221/IronLungs31/Apocalypse1.jpg

Thanks!

IronLungs31
11-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Just wanted to thank you guys for all your help.

EDIT: Will wait and see if I can get any help

Zombie
11-10-2009, 12:32 PM
its been 1 day, give them some time dude.

IronLungs31
11-10-2009, 02:04 PM
its been 1 day, give them some time dude.

I took you off the ignored list just see if you're still ball busting me and somethings never change. Back to the list.

Zombie
11-10-2009, 02:13 PM
you consider that ball busting? seriously?

CharlesSong
11-10-2009, 04:17 PM
5D be all I need

insomniac
11-13-2009, 01:12 AM
(Zurbaran) or anyone that can help... I was thinking of getting myself a 24-105mm L series lens, but not sure if there is a major difference from the 28-135mm macro lens that I have. If you could spend a little time explaining or even better posting a picture, if you have this lens in your collection. I'm really working hard to get better at taking photos, especially of my statue collection. Here are a few photos of statue that I have taken with my 28-135mm macro lens. Maybe explain what would be the difference in these pictures, if I was using a 24-105mm L series lens.

Thanks!

Hi IL, I will take a shot at answering this but I am not too familar with the 28-135 having never used one. To start the 24-105 is an awesome walk around lens. It is the primary lens I always pack for travel. If I was restricted to one lense the 24-105 would be my pick. The only other zoom lens from Canon that can rival this lens is the 24-70mm. It is one stop faster but has a much shorter zoom. Some may argue the 24-70 is a bit sharper but the two lenses are pretty close in my opinion. I don't think you can go wrong with either. From the reviews of the 28-135mm it appears to be a very good consumer level walk around lense. At 5.6 it is a bit slow and requires a lot of light. It is suppose to be sharp in the center but very soft on the edges. The lens also has a strong vignetting and barrel distortion problem at 28mm. It is probably a very good all around lens but I would think the 24-105mm is in a totally different class.

Now to get to the heart of your question. If you solely want a lens to take pics of your statues I wouldn't really consider either. The 24-105mm can do the job but there is really no point in spending that much money when a cheaper lense can do as well or better. If you are using a cropped camera I would suggest the 50mm f1.4. The lense is around $400 and is super sharp and quick. With the 1.6 crop it is essentially a portrait lense. It has a very short minimal focal distance so you can get fairly close to the statues. It was the lense I always used when I was using my 30D. Once I upgraded to full frame it was too wide so I purchased the 85mm f1.8 but the problem with that lens is the minimum focal distance was too great. It could take good pics of the full statues but had problems getting in close. I have been considering the 100mm f2.8 macro but I haven't been totally convinced that is the way to go yet. Still struggling to decide. Hope this helps...

cap70
11-13-2009, 01:38 AM
Zurb, you have in your hands one of the best cameras EVER, bro(the 5d Mark II). I doubt if you even need all that much camera! lol
I have the same camera and you are 100% right when you say that people will need to kill you to take it from you. I so wish I had something like that when I shot for stock agencies 15 year ago, I would be rich by now! lol

Did you try the video yet? Man, you have no idea of the powerful machine you have in your hands. You have a FULL FRAME 36mm x 24mm HD camera with enough details to make a _QUALITY_ movie. That could be edited, "improved" if needed(like many raw footage), and go to screen and compete with the best movies out there. There's people out there buying this camera ONLY for it's video capabilities. Canon re-invented things with this camera, it's been talked about in every single movie forum, studio, you name it.
I work with movie editing and you have no idea on how many times I had to work with video from this camera.

The Canon 1D Mark IV will be awesome, but you have a camera now to hold you for many years until you feel the need to upgrade. The wonderful thing about the Canon EOS system is that the lenses will always stays with you. I had an Canon EOS Elan film camera a decade ago. I still own a couple of Canon lenses I had since then. They still work on my Digital cameras today as they worked 10 years ago. That's the EOS system, baby!! :)

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k40/cap70/ArnieT800.jpg

Mandragora
11-13-2009, 03:20 AM
5D be all I need

second that

IronLungs31
11-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Hi IL, I will take a shot at answering this but I am not too familar with the 28-135 having never used one. To start the 24-105 is an awesome walk around lens. It is the primary lens I always pack for travel. If I was restricted to one lense the 24-105 would be my pick. The only other zoom lens from Canon that can rival this lens is the 24-70mm. It is one stop faster but has a much shorter zoom. Some may argue the 24-70 is a bit sharper but the two lenses are pretty close in my opinion. I don't think you can go wrong with either. From the reviews of the 28-135mm it appears to be a very good consumer level walk around lense. At 5.6 it is a bit slow and requires a lot of light. It is suppose to be sharp in the center but very soft on the edges. The lens also has a strong vignetting and barrel distortion problem at 28mm. It is probably a very good all around lens but I would think the 24-105mm is in a totally different class.

Now to get to the heart of your question. If you solely want a lens to take pics of your statues I wouldn't really consider either. The 24-105mm can do the job but there is really no point in spending that much money when a cheaper lense can do as well or better. If you are using a cropped camera I would suggest the 50mm f1.4. The lense is around $400 and is super sharp and quick. With the 1.6 crop it is essentially a portrait lense. It has a very short minimal focal distance so you can get fairly close to the statues. It was the lense I always used when I was using my 30D. Once I upgraded to full frame it was too wide so I purchased the 85mm f1.8 but the problem with that lens is the minimum focal distance was too great. It could take good pics of the full statues but had problems getting in close. I have been considering the 100mm f2.8 macro but I haven't been totally convinced that is the way to go yet. Still struggling to decide. Hope this helps...

Thanks insomniac & Upitnik, I will be upgrading to a full body camera after the Holiday season is over, but I did place an order for a 100mm macro lens. But it's going to have to wait for usage until I get myself the full body camera because I'm going to go with the L series with all my new lenses that I will be buying from here on out.
Upitnik was say that the L series lens wouldn't work as good on a crop body, but I had already placed the order by this time. The good thing is 5D body is not running for $1699 anymore since the 7D body as come out. I was pricing them yesterday and they are now running for $1299, plus maybe able to catch a better deal on Black Friday sales.

With the other pointers that Upitnik as giving me, I'm going to start shooting all my photos in RAW to see, if I can get better quality than I have been getting. Also was schooled in the actual lens I have been shooting with is by no means a macro lens, just has the marco lens dail.

Thanks guys and wish me luck all this information will be put into good use.

PowerPee
11-13-2009, 12:53 PM
If I may add to this...

When the 28-135mm came out years ago it was the first 'walk around' lens of Canon that incorporated IS (Image Stabilizer) which garnered lots of praises from the consumers. Yes that's a nice walk around lens back then. I have to to agree with Insomniac that the current best walk around lens of Canon is no doubt the 24-105 and fitted with the Mark 2, it's a heck of a machine.

Now with regards to lenses for PhoTOYgraphy, in my humble opinion nothing beats a macro lens. If you browse through my stream all of my toy shots (around 99%) were taken with a macro lens. The good thing with this is you can really show the details of your statues, busts, etc. On the other hand because of the magnification you will be able to see the flaws as well. =D

I'm an advocate of macro lens when it comes to taking pictures of toys. I've seen people use an UWA lens and they are also good.

If you are going to use a 50mm lens, then you can go the extra mile and add extension tubes or close up filters to convert/modify your 50mm into an almost macro type of lens.

With regards to shooting RAW, the simplest explanation I can think of is this:

RAW is like buying a new car that you have yet to modify. By doing so you give yourself the freedom to choose the right accessories and do the proper tweaks to make your car fast and stylish.

JPEG is like buying a souped up car. Most of the modifications are there. You can still add but there is a limit to what you can modify, unlike RAW where you have full control.

I always shoot RAW whenever I do events and sometimes in taking toy shots. If you have mastered a certain technique of taking pictures of toys, then even shooting in JPEG will give you excellent results =D

Hope this helps =D

Upitnik
11-13-2009, 01:45 PM
To be clear, the 24-105L image quality is very good on a crop body but just O.K. on a full frame not the other way around but usefulness is a different story.

Cheers

cap70
11-13-2009, 05:45 PM
Thanks insomniac & Upitnik, I will be upgrading to The good thing is 5D body is not running for $1699 anymore since the 7D body as come out. I was pricing them yesterday and they are now running for $1299, plus maybe able to catch a better deal on Black Friday sales.

You are prob talking about the EOS 50d, which is a MUCH more inferior camera than the 5D mark II. It is priced at around $1050 these days, while the 5D mark II(the one Zurb and I have) costs $2700. If you want to go full frame then you will need the 5d mII. Both 7d and 50d have APS size sensors.

Mandragora
11-13-2009, 05:56 PM
You are prob talking about the EOS 50d, which is a MUCH more inferior camera than the 5D mark II. It is priced at around $1050 these days, while the 5D mark II(the one Zurb and I have) costs $2700. If you want to go full frame then you will need the 5d mII. Both 7d and 50d have APS size sensors.

i think he means the original 5D, not the Mark II

cap70
11-13-2009, 06:11 PM
i think he means the original 5D, not the Mark II

Ahh, ok. Yup, in that case, he can find some great deals out there.

PowerPee
11-13-2009, 06:51 PM
To be clear, the 24-105L image quality is very good on a crop body but just O.K. on a full frame not the other way around but usefulness is a different story.

Cheers

Hmm my friend has a different view on this. His 24-105 is ok on his 30D but IQ went up when we attached to his Mark II... care to share your theory on your personal findings or maybe this is a case to case basis?

IronLungs31
11-13-2009, 07:55 PM
Geez guys now this was the help I've been looking for. Once again I going to have to do more home work, to make sure that I get myself the MII 5D camera. All I here is how much you guys love this camera. But, I sure that the 7D was running for 1899 at bestbuy and I will look on calumet website as well.

Anymore info please pass it my way.

IronLungs31
11-13-2009, 08:53 PM
Yeah you guys are right the 5D Mark II $2699 just for the body!!!

Geez! Oh well we al have to start somewhere.

PowerPee
11-13-2009, 09:27 PM
I was able to get mine for a little bit below $2500 here in the Philippines. I was also able to play around with the 7D and that is one amazing camera in my humble opinion.

The Mark II is an excellent camera except for the focusing which is slower than my D700 before. The AF points are also old (9 as compared to the cross type 19 points AF system of the new 7D and the 51 AF points of the D700)...

The Full HD more than makes up for the disadvantage in my opinion, that alone is worth it =D

Happy hunting! =D

insomniac
11-13-2009, 11:20 PM
Hmm my friend has a different view on this. His 24-105 is ok on his 30D but IQ went up when we attached to his Mark II... care to share your theory on your personal findings or maybe this is a case to case basis?

I agree. I have used the 24-105mm on a 30D and a 5D mk2 and I have to say the lens does a fantastic job on both. Usually the only lens that look better on a cropped camera are ones with strong vignetting or barrelling problems.

insomniac
11-13-2009, 11:21 PM
I was able to get mine for a little bit below $2500 here in the Philippines.

Great price. You also had the bonus of getting the USB 5D mk2 flash drive too. :banghead: I am really tempted to pick one up on eBay but they are so pricey.

PowerPee
11-14-2009, 01:07 AM
Great price. You also had the bonus of getting the USB 5D mk2 flash drive too. :banghead: I am really tempted to pick one up on eBay but they are so pricey.

Ha ha yes that too... i will try to ask my friend to give me another one if you want just pay for the shipping fee... the japanese edition looks better though =D

insomniac
11-14-2009, 01:10 AM
Ha ha yes that too... i will try to ask my friend to give me another one if you want just pay for the shipping fee... the japanese edition looks better though =D

:D If you can get one I would gladly pay the shipping fee. I wish probably still try to get a Japanese edition on eBay too.

Upitnik
11-14-2009, 04:35 AM
I agree. I have used the 24-105mm on a 30D and a 5D mk2 and I have to say the lens does a fantastic job on both. Usually the only lens that look better on a cropped camera are ones with strong vignetting or barrelling problems.

My copy of the 24-105L had(on the 5DmkII) strong barelling distortion, strong vignetting and slight CA. Resolution was very good in the centre but poor in the borders. It helped stopping down to f/8. That is common for this lens so I do not think I had a bad copy. On cropped sensors if using a full frame lens you are taking advantage of the sweet spot so its natural to get better results but a full frame camera puts the lens to the test. Maybe this will help understand.

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g141/upitnik/FREE/63eddf6a.jpg

P.S. Sorry Zurb for the off topic :)

PowerPee
11-14-2009, 11:59 AM
Thanks for the info., will relay to my friend... oh yea and sorry for the OT as well... =D

kaza5555
11-15-2009, 01:22 PM
What is the expert's opinion on the Canon Rebel EOS T1I? I am no expert and have always been interested in photography for as long as I can remember and would like to take this hobby seriously, but at a beginners to intermediate level. Since the Mark IV is still out of my price range and don't want to wait another year saving money, I might possibly jump on a deal at Costco that brings the price down to $850 after $100 rebate that is similar to the link here on amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Canon-55-250mm-Gorillapod-Original-Carrying/dp/B002VFLYHK/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258305249&sr=8-5

Just wanted an expert (or novice) opinion on this camera and deal.