PDA

View Full Version : latex mold off plastiline/plasticine?

pdxDaniela
11-03-2009, 02:34 PM
Hello, I have done this before but I have been told that it is not a great idea. & on one occasion the layer of latex right by the plastiline look funny/molded.

Does anyone here have some good advice on how to do this?
Thanks to those of you who have the advice & the time to dispense it :-)

Alaneye
11-05-2009, 08:58 AM
Hello, I have done this before but I have been told that it is not a great idea. & on one occasion the layer of latex right by the plastiline look funny/molded.

Does anyone here have some good advice on how to do this?
Thanks to those of you who have the advice & the time to dispense it :-)

I have sculpted busts in plasticene and taken latex moulds off them. I start by painting layers of latex onto the sculpture, sometimes letting the latex go white and gel before applying another. When I'm happy with the initial thickness ie all the detail is covered with probably .5 to 1mm of rubber, I then thicken the latex and build up until there are no thin spots and all the shapes are sheathed.

When the rubber has cured, I strip it off the sculpture and pour enough resin in to create a thin coat which dries and holds the shape of the mould. That done I fill the mold with resin and let that set. Then I add a 2 or 3 section plaster mother mould to stop the mould from ballooning when filled.

Never had a problem with it, though polyester resin tends to 'cook' the mould and eventually cause it to tear. Always best to keep a master resin cast for remoulding when this happens.

Hope that helps

Alan

pdxDaniela
11-05-2009, 09:31 AM
yes thanks that is really interesting. I was told not to use resin w/latex.
I also paint the latex on the sculpture. my last time maybe I watied to long. or don't know if the summer weather affected it, but the plasticine underneath looked really odd.
thanks I'll try it.