PDA

View Full Version : The Mighty Reviews 12/24/09

wktf
12-24-2009, 11:22 AM
Hey, Happy Holidays from The Mighty Reviewers! Next week's "skip week," no books are supposed to be out with the exception of Blackest Night #6. We may or may not have a review of it up next week, we'll see. In the mean time, here's a look at some of this week's comic book goodness.

Sam Wilson’s Review

Detective Comics #860
DC Comics
Written by: Greg Rucka
Drawn by: JH Williams III, backup by Cully Hamner

Honestly the last time I read Detective comics was waaaay back when Greg Rucka last wrote it, particularly during the “Bruce Wayne Murderer” storyline. It was the only Bat-title I hadn’t given up on, so I guess it’s not to big of a shock that I’m back on it now. I will admit, for the most part I am cool with most of the post-Batman RIP books so that doesn’t hurt either. Bottom line though, no one can deny Rucka doesn’t have a love for the Bat-verse that shines though on every page he writes, and for those of you who remember “Gotham Central” he has a special affinity for certain characters in that universe, one in particular being Renee Montoya aka the new Question. Being a big fan of the Denny O’neil/Denys Cowan series of course I’m going to scrutinize it a little, but damn if Rucka isn’t doing a great job on that too, paying homage to O’neil and Cowan’s work while making the character his own. Of course there is also the angle that has made a lot of press at one point, the whole lesbian thing, and of that, I just have to say this. Get over it. If you can’t handle alternative lifestyles than don’t read the book. Rucka isn’t making it a focal point, he’s just giving some human qualities to his characters and sexual preference is a human quality. So naysayers or critics, especially the bigoted ones, fu** off. Anyway, off of that soapbox…

For those of you who haven’t been keeping up, Batwoman is Kate Kane, sometime Gotham socialite and former lover of Renee Montoya whose dad is a military man who serves as her Alfred. Well, Alfred with a .45 but that’s fine.. For the last two issues Greg Rucka has started a new storyline featuring the origin of Batman. Yes, it’s been a long time coming. Anyway, the military is doing cleanup after a villain by the name of Alice tried to poison the city, and Colonel Kane (Kate’s dad) is in charge. Yeah, akward. Meanwhile, we get some insights into Kate’s childhood as a military brat and a brief glimpse at what her defining moment was. We later find out Kate was a cadet at West Point, an outstanding cadet who was forced to resign from the military as part of their “don’t ask/don’t tell policy”. Yes, total bullLionsSuck...LionsSuck...LionsSuck...LionsSuck..., but Kate choose to keep her honor as to whom she was rather than live a lie, which again, is a defining moment for her. A defining moment that led to a party girl lifestyle. A lifestyle that had her falling in and out of love with Renee Montoya, and a lifestyle that led her back to her father, who sent her to train with the best of the best military special operations guys he knew so she could finally embark on a path that was a bit more meaningful. Meanwhile, Renee Montoya is on a tear, taking apart a criminal organization that was involved in the kidnapping and selling of women into slavery. Eastern European mob types aren’t exactly known for being easy to handle, so Renee enlists the help of Helena Bertenelli, aka the Huntress and then they really start cutting a path, which of course is going to mean some kind of payback from the mob, which we are probably going to see next issue…

I’m down with this book. We still don’t know much about Kate Kane, but Rucka is developing her beautifully. We know a lot about Renee Montoya, and it is great to see her finally getting her props (Rucka is totally channeling O’Neil, fans of the ‘80’s series will pick up on it). I’m on the fence about JH Williams art (it’s a bit confusing at times) but Cully Hamner is fantastic. I have no problem giving this book a top recommendation.

Wktf’s Reviews

Captain America Reborn: Who Will Wield The Shield One-Shot
Marvel Comics
Written by: Ed Brubaker
Drawn by: Butch Guice & Luke Ross
Cover by: Gerald Parel
Variant Covers by: Alan Davis, Mark Farmer & Javier Rodriguez

It’s hard not to feel let down by the Captain America: Reborn event. First of all, Brubaker was doing such a great job with Bucky as the new Captain America that, as much as all of us loved Steve Rogers’ character over the decades, the thought of returning to the status quo seemed unfair. But we can chalk that up to the tension caused by good storytelling I suppose. Not so with the rest of my issues, though. Next we come to the title of the series, which leaves little room for doubt regarding its outcome. Then go back a few weeks to the stellar Dark Avengers Annual #1 that ended the tale of Marvel Boy’s rebirth with a shot of Steve and Bucky on a rooftop, followed by the final page of New Avengers Annual #3 with the appearance of Steve Rogers, then Iron Man #21 with Steve and Thor teaming up to bring back Tony Stark. Now, this one-shot comes out not only trumpeting on the cover that it’s “The Stunning Aftermath of Captain America Reborn” but also offers an editorial apology on the first page for the timing gaff, a page that describes just how Steve was able to triumph over The Red Skull in Cap Reborn #6! What have Marvel’s publishing managers been smoking?

Can Marvel yet add further insult to injury? Sure they can, by promising that this one shot will categorically determine who wields the shield going forward. It doesn’t. Not really. Sure, there’s some heartfelt dialogue between Steve and Bucky that leads the reader one way, but then some further conversation between Steve and President Obama where that decision remains in doubt. It’s hard, really, to talk about what’s most paramount in Steve’s mind as that’s something supposedly revealed in the final issue of Reborn that’s yet to be published. However, it’s clear that the time traveling ordeal Cap’s unhinged consciousness was forced to endure has traumatized him in a very important way.

As to the issue itself, it does start out strong with some really terrific WWII artwork that’s reminiscent of Jack King Kirby’s work, especially that brilliant and dynamic splash page. And the art remains pretty strong until the second half of the book when Bucky and Natasha find themselves face-to-face with Mr. Hyde, who’d recently escaped from The Raft. I don’t know if there was a handoff from Guice to Ross at that point but the quality seriously drops off as the issue continues, and especially in those last pages between Steve and the President. Bru’s normally tight writing, especially on this character, feels a bit sloppy and even rushed here. While Bucky and Steve’s soul searching about their relative futures felt on target, I also felt they were short shrifted. The primary decision driving this title could have carried out another issue or two, given its importance to these characters but also to the readers. Whether it’s the poor timing of Reborn’s conclusion relative to Marvel’s setup of Siege and Steve Rogers’ role, or fundamental problems with this one-shot itself, I found this issue overall simply underwhelming and a large disappointment.

Thor #605
Marvel Comics
Written by: Kieron Gillen
Drawn by: Billy Tan
Cover by: Billy Tan

It seems all the track JMS had laid in this title now has come to a head in this three issue arc authored by Gillen and Tan. Having successfully ousted Thor from the throne of Asgard, Loki manipulated the new king Baldar into bringing all of Asgard to Latveria, leaving the Golden Realm in Broxton, Oklahoma. Unbeknownst to Baldar and the banished Thor, Loki was serving up Asgardians to be dissected and vivisected for Doom’s own heretofore unknown purposes. For Loki’s services he merely requested Doom slay a lone doctor, the mortal host of the Thunder God. For Doom’s attack on Blake, and for Doom’s treatment of Asgard’s own, both Thor and Asgard’s warriors, led by Baldar, came last issue to bring a reckoning to Doom.

With this issue all Hell, almost literally, breaks lose. As Baldar and his troops battle the mindless, cybernetic Asgardian drones, all of whom chant “Hail Doom” as they war against their former kin, fond memories of who they used to be in life come back to the warring Asgardians. And Doom’s treatment of the fair Kelda’s corpse is just barbaric. Never before has Dr. Doom been portrayed as so monstrous as he is here, and rarely has Thor’s blistering wrath been quite so palpable. And while we may cheer at Thor’s treatment and complete mastery over Doom in battle, those of us who read last issue can shudder knowing what Thor’s ultimate strike against Doom may well bring.

Marvel just recently announced that Matt Fraction, who’s tearing it up on Iron Man these days, will be taking over Thor shortly. Great a writer as Fraction is, Gillen’s really turned it up even from JMS’ simply outstanding run on this title. And Tan’s art, which I found really weak on New Avengers, really seems suited to the power this title demands even though some panels seem rushed and are a bit sloppy. Next issue is the final chapter of this battle of Thor vs. Dr. Doom, and the final pages of this issue absolutely leaves the outcome of this battle in doubt. These last two issues have been explosive in their action and fury while also heartbreaking and horrifying where the Asgardians are concerned. My pick of the week.

The New Avengers #60
Marvel Comics
Written by: Brian Michael Bendis
Drawn by: Stuart Immonen
Cover by: Stuart Immonen

The New Avengers have been in a fight to save Luke Cage’s life even since his heart gave out after his powers were removed. Why did his heart give out? We don’t know, aren’t told, and can’t possibly get a clue as to why. Regardless, having surrendered himself to Osborn, The New Avengers were able to escape custody and Cage got the heart surgery he needed. Pulling a bait and switch on Osborn, or getting “hard spanked by Captain America and the gang” as Venom put it, The New Avengers (aided by a heavy hitting crew, including The Thing, Valkyrie, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Hellcat, Dr. Strange and Dr. Voodoo) freed the weakened Cage and brought him home, only to deduce Osborn planted something untoward on Cage’s heart.

With this issue The New Avengers must again race against the clock, Ant-Man style (for those that remember the classic Roy Thomas/John Buscema Avengers story where Ant-Man had to enter The Vision’s body to save him), with the Dark Avengers closing in on them the whole time. Bendis does a great job of creating genuine tension in this story as The Wasp (Henry Pym) and Dr. Strange (former heart surgeon and Sorcerer Supreme) journey to Cage’s heart while Daredevil monitors the frequency changes of the device they’re trying to remove. And, once again, for the second time in two issues, The New Avengers perform a brilliant and genuinely funny bait and switch on Osborn. Not to mention offer up a hint of what may be to come for Luke Cage and Jessica Jones.

Stuart Immonen has been a fantastic replacement for Billy Tan and, frankly, is the best artist this title’s seen since David Finch left. Osborn’s face on the last page is all kinds of crazy (I also like how Dave McCaig handles he change in Norman’s eye color), and Immonen’s line work has always been strong and consistent, going back to his days as a regular penciler on Superman for DC. All in all, this issue has a solid mix of tension, humor, and a smattering of serious malevolence from both The Hood and Osborn by the end. If it weren’t for Thor, this book would’ve been my pick of the week.

Dawg’s Review

Uncanny X-Men #519
Marvel Comics
Written by: Matt Fraction
Drawn by: Terry Dodson

Boy is there a lot that happens in this issue. There are no monster battles, no major super villains, but there is a lot going on. Scott Summers’ mind has been inhabited by evil incarnate in the Void. The Void for those who haven’t been following is the constant evil plague that has inhabited the Sentry’s mind. Emma Frost exorcised it only to have it trapped in her own mind, and in turn while saving Emma, now Scott has it in his.

The science squad lead by the Beast, is desperately trying to keep the island from sinking and even Magneto might not be enough to keep it from sinking back into the depths where it once was. Magneto seem to be on the side of angels, and yet it’s really hard to believe it when he’s off consulting with Namor and perhaps working on their own scheme, perhaps it’s Magneto just trying to keep the island afloat.

The Beast looks around him and questions why he’s even an X-Man anymore. Things have changed so much that he doesn’t even recognize the man that used to be amongst his closest friend and comrade in Scott Summers, and he questions his role in a place where things seem quite isolated and militant compared to the original dream of peaceful co-existence between humans and mutant kind.

The brunt of the issue takes place in Scott’s mind as he and Emma try to expel the Void and save his mind. Eventually they come to a point where Emma can help him no further and it is up to Scott alone with his incredible willpower to finish the Void on his own. Which of course he does as Scott Summers can do no wrong in the Marvel Universe these days.

I would say this was a very cool issue. I tend to like the issues where it is more about the characters battling within their lives, rather than them battling the Brood, or Sentinels all the time. There tends to be more character development and growth that way. In fact many folks will enjoy that there was no Wolverine at all in this issue. What I will say is I never felt the same amount of impending doom I was supposed to with Scott having the Void trapped in his mind. Just a bunch of past failures chasing Scott and Emma across the landscape until Scott of course wins the day. Perhaps that is just because I am a jaded comics fan and have seen it all… who knows.

I will say that am one of the people who really enjoy what Fraction has done with the X-Men. Something else to note is that I felt that this was one of Dodson’s better issues artwise as well. He seems to draw Emma better than any other character within the X-Men. The stories might not hit all cylinders every issue, but they certainly are enjoyable and more so than the entire 90’s were for the mutants we all love.

TK-421
12-24-2009, 11:26 AM
Great reviews Joe...
Thor and New Avengers were fantastic reads!!!
Love how the new team on Thor has done so far!

xtina_slayer
12-24-2009, 01:06 PM
i cant and didnt get what if astonishingxmen - hope someone reviews this

THECLOWN KNIGHT
12-24-2009, 01:19 PM
:bawling: My LCS didn't get Thor 605 so I refuse to read the review.

I planned to read it first of all my pull list.

wktf
12-24-2009, 06:58 PM
Clown Knight, after you read Thor I'd love to read your thoughts on the book and my review.

supahman
12-26-2009, 12:09 AM
Awesome Reviews GUys and a great week... Detective comics has soon become my first read whenever I get it.. THor is next.. Gillem, as Joe pointed out, has really challenged JMS run.. Fantastic.. just wish they wd let him continue fr somemore time..

Gotham city sirens was pleasantly surprising .. quite christmassy..
Ifound Uncanny Xmen pretty decent.. i like it when Scott gets a chance to shine.. just wondering whts goin on with mags and Namor..Blackest Night was not that happening this week.. of course i havent read BN 6 like some of u guys have.. !!

Merry Christmas..and Many more reviews next year !!

protector2814
12-26-2009, 12:22 PM
Love the reviews fellas, thanks so much for all the hard work put into covering books in 2009. Keep up the hard work in the new year. We appreciate it.
Thor, this week was magnificent. The word satisfying comes to mind, a word I haven't been able to use with comics more than a few times in the past few years. I realize the comic was a link in a chain of an overall story, but I didn't feel manipulated or gypped like I have with so many books of late. Great battle, great surprise, great use of villain, and (so far) great arc. I'm lovin' this.
Cap -Who Will Wield - What the hell? as you mentioned with the "timing gaff". I feel a wee bit angry that Marvel, after years of this Cap storyline, could so botch up the timing of it's conclusion. I just finished last week's Reborn, cracked the cover of Who Will Wield, and was treated to a major story hic-cup. Thanks a lot Marvel. Glad I've spent hundreds of dollars on this story over the past few years, way to tie it up.
This was a big week and my best surprise was seeing Captain Savage speak at a eulogy over at the Hulk one-shot. I loved his 60's Marvel War book and to see Romita art on a forgotten pal of Nick Fury's caused a big smile.
Happy New Year Reviewers.

THECLOWN KNIGHT
12-26-2009, 12:40 PM
Clown Knight, after you read Thor I'd love to read your thoughts on the book and my review.

Sure do!

Greetings to everybody!

rilynil
12-27-2009, 01:32 PM
I'm glad I saw the continuity notice on the first page of the Cap comic so I didn't read the story out of order. It's just too bad I've got to wait about a month. :(

wktf
12-27-2009, 02:48 PM
I'm glad I saw the continuity notice on the first page of the Cap comic so I didn't read the story out of order. It's just too bad I've got to wait about a month. :(

Yeah, I almost didn't read this one after reading the editorial continuity apology but, then, after having been unpleasantly surprised by the final pages of the Dark and New Avengers Annuals, not to mention Iron Man #21, I figured it was generally too late for the damage that had already been done to be fixed where I'm concerned.

What a total botch job after so many years of careful plotting and writing on Brubaker's part! :banghead:

VaultMan
12-27-2009, 05:51 PM
Thor #605
Marvel Comics
Written by: Kieron Gillen
Drawn by: Billy Tan
Cover by: Billy Tan

It seems all the track JMS had laid in this title now has come to a head in this three issue arc authored by Gillen and Tan. Having successfully ousted Thor from the throne of Asgard, Loki manipulated the new king Baldar into bringing all of Asgard to Latveria, leaving the Golden Realm in Broxton, Oklahoma. Unbeknownst to Baldar and the banished Thor, Loki was serving up Asgardians to be dissected and vivisected for Doom’s own heretofore unknown purposes. For Loki’s services he merely requested Doom slay a lone doctor, the mortal host of the Thunder God. For Doom’s attack on Blake, and for Doom’s treatment of Asgard’s own, both Thor and Asgard’s warriors, led by Baldar, came last issue to bring a reckoning to Doom.

With this issue all Hell, almost literally, breaks lose. As Baldar and his troops battle the mindless, cybernetic Asgardian drones, all of whom chant “Hail Doom” as they war against their former kin, fond memories of who they used to be in life come back to the warring Asgardians. And Doom’s treatment of the fair Kelda’s corpse is just barbaric. Never before has Dr. Doom been portrayed as so monstrous as he is here, and rarely has Thor’s blistering wrath been quite so palpable. And while we may cheer at Thor’s treatment and complete mastery over Doom in battle, those of us who read last issue can shudder knowing what Thor’s ultimate strike against Doom may well bring.

Marvel just recently announced that Matt Fraction, who’s tearing it up on Iron Man these days, will be taking over Thor shortly. Great a writer as Fraction is, Gillen’s really turned it up even from JMS’ simply outstanding run on this title. And Tan’s art, which I found really weak on New Avengers, really seems suited to the power this title demands even though some panels seem rushed and are a bit sloppy. Next issue is the final chapter of this battle of Thor vs. Dr. Doom, and the final pages of this issue absolutely leaves the outcome of this battle in doubt. These last two issues have been explosive in their action and fury while also heartbreaking and horrifying where the Asgardians are concerned. My pick of the week.

Im really glad I jumped on Thor #604 this week when I picked up #605. I think it was something you posted Joe about great Doom dialogue that prompted me to do so...anyway...

#605 is a great issue, and another great Doom "performance". I questioned for a moment if dissectiing Asgardians would be too barbaric for Doom, but if done in the name of science (and ultimately in the name of power) I completely believe Doom could do this. Throwing Kelda down from the castle butresses? Thats another story and lacks a sort of "class" that Doom would always have, IMHO. Still it turns out this was a Doombot, so why not. :)

Doom establishes himself, in this arc, as one of the most villainous characters in Marvel....a spot that, for me, was reserved exclusively for the Red Skull because of the his completely evil nature (not just a lust for power). Doom's lust for power drives him to absolutely evil acts in this arc. Wow. The Skull owns this spot by himself no longer. :eek:

Great review Joe, and I agree...this is a really enjoyable arc but Im psyched to see Fraction on this title. Im loving Iron Man right now.

VM

wktf
12-30-2009, 12:22 AM
You're welcome, Eric! Glad you liked the review and this issue of Thor.

Hmmm...no other reaction to Who Will Wield the Shield? I just read this on newsarama which I thought I'd post here, just to see if there were any similar or different reactions to this disappointing issue. This take pretty much jibes with my review:

Captain America - Who Will Wield The Shield? #1 (Marvel Comics; Reviewed by Erich Reinstadler) A stunningly mediocre book that, despite being released BEFORE Captain America: Reborn #6, takes place after (really, Marvel?). Ed Brubaker, Butch Guice and Luke Ross manage to wrap up absolutely nothing. A well written, well drawn exercise in futility, all this mis-timed book does is act as yet another lead-in for the latest universe shaking, status changing, internet breaking, multi-issue cross-over, which will inevitably lead into the NEXT universe shaking, status changing, internet breaking, multi-issue cross-over. After reading this three times, I realized that I'd lost about 45 minutes and 4 dollars. I just couldn't care about it, because it was a nothing book.

joy_division
12-30-2009, 01:31 AM
I'll be getting Detective comics cos it's penciled by JH Williams III

Rocket
12-30-2009, 01:45 AM
i cant and didnt get what if astonishingxmen - hope someone reviews this

I'll write one up now and PM it to Joe :) If he declares it worthy, hopefully you'll see it right here soon! :D

Primal
12-30-2009, 11:51 AM
As great as Doom's been these past couple of issues there's something different about him. I've always seen him as a kind of honor-bound villain but vivisecting and throwing corpses around like this seems out of character.

Small peeve but I wish the new Destroyer resembled Doom in the face at least to clearly distinguish it from the past versions.

Havent read Battle for the C---I mean Who Will Wield the Shield. :D

HITReza
01-01-2010, 08:37 AM
thanks for the review!

can't wait to read the new thor :)

wktf
01-01-2010, 10:39 AM
As great as Doom's been these past couple of issues there's something different about him. I've always seen him as a kind of honor-bound villain but vivisecting and throwing corpses around like this seems out of character.

Small peeve but I wish the new Destroyer resembled Doom in the face at least to clearly distinguish it from the past versions.

Havent read Battle for the C---I mean Who Will Wield the Shield. :D

I see what you mean, Omar. This Doom is far more monstrous than how he's normally portrayed. However, I think his motives are completely within his character and he's certainly been shown in the past to be a murderer.

I have a related peeve about the new Destroyer. If it was created by Doom then shouldn't it's hull yield to Mjolnir's blows? I know it's powered by the Odinforce but can its frame be powerful enough to withstand Thor's strength and Mjolnir? Just doesn't seem like it to me, and maybe we'll see something to this effect next issue.

To your point about Battle for the Cowl, the Batman and Cap titles have been aping each other for a while. Bucky comes back, Jason Todd comes back. Bucky becomes Cap, Dick Grayson becomes Batman. The new Cap title is Cap Reborn and the marks on the Bat books are Batman Reborn. Cap's been spinning throughout time and now Batman's going to be doing the same thing.

Who Will Wield the Shield was a poor read but, at least, was a similar concept though different in execution to Battle for the Cowl, I agree.

JDH
01-01-2010, 12:49 PM
While it is unfortunate that WWTS came out before Reborn 6, I didn't think it was a bad read. And the status quo it sets up is one of the things that has me looking forward immensely to Siege.

But more importantly, Joe, I got that Art of Ditko book as a complete surprise for Christmas, and what a thing of beauty it is!

wktf
01-04-2010, 02:23 PM
Jess, that Art of Ditko book is a real treasure! I've already written a review of it which I hope to have up here in a couple of weeks.

THECLOWN KNIGHT
01-06-2010, 06:03 PM

:eek: I'm speechless! It was awesome!

Full of EPIC moments like " 'Odin Power', I call it 'Doom Power' " :buttrock:

Sorry but I need to calm down a bit & put in order my thoughts to keep writing!