PDA

View Full Version : Can I really do this for a living?

BeerNutta
01-02-2010, 01:03 AM
Heya Guys,

Ive been thinking of quitting my job and taking photos full time for a living.

Just not sure if I am good enough seeing that I have only been shooting for 10 months.

What do you guys think?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42992715@N06/

Some pics are NSFW.

rilynil
01-02-2010, 02:01 AM
VERY nice work, BeerNutta! Those are some great pictures!

dr_teng
01-02-2010, 02:02 AM
Photography is a difficult field to get into right now while maintaining any sort of reasonable income stream. Ultimately, it's less about what you can shoot than how you can market yourself.

I liked some of your shots, disliked some others, but the main issue when you'll be making a portfolio (instead of a general flickr account) will be showing off your unique style within the field that your clients are interested in. That's one reason a lot of photographers I know have multiple portfolios. For example, you'd want a different one for your product/food photography than for portraiture.

If you take it seriously and you get lucky, most likely, you'll be able to make a living at it. I suggest reading over this extensively :

http://www.asmp.org/strictlybusiness/

galactus
01-02-2010, 02:06 AM
I've heard the best way of making a living out of this is to get bitten by a radioactive spider, dress up in a costume to fight crime and to take photos of YOURSELF in the process. These photos are usually worth enough to afford a nice apartment in New York City and date supermodels!! :thumbs2:

BeerNutta
01-02-2010, 02:46 AM
Thanks Drew,

My day job is a Nuclear Medicine Technologist. I have been catching spiders and irradiating them. Then trying to get them to mate. So I can create a super spider!

Supermodels here I come.

Rocket
01-02-2010, 02:52 AM
I say give it a shot Paul!! If you feel a passion for it you'll make it work. Hopefully Teng is talking about the US photography industry and there is space for you in the Western Australian market!! :D

Remember on Facebook when I thought this was your job already!! LOL

dr_teng
01-02-2010, 03:00 AM
I say give it a shot Paul!! If you feel a passion for it you'll make it work. Hopefully Teng is talking about the US photography industry and there is space for you in the Western Australian market!! :D

Yep, Canadian/American photography industry (I've done some work locally, my wife is a pro in New York). It's entirely possible Western Australia is untapped, it's just general advice. The market has been shrinking due to more usage of stock photography, more amateurs entering the field due to lower cost of equipment and the ability to correct work easier via Photoshop.

But that's all covered by the ASMP, which has a wealth of information.

Here's another good site :

http://www.aphotoeditor.com/

IronLungs31
01-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Those are some beautiful photos!

IronLungs31
01-02-2010, 11:43 AM
What kind is your camera setup?

Primal
01-02-2010, 11:51 AM
Some really great pics there.

If you have a fulltime photography job all setup to go then I'd probably say try it otherwise I wouldnt quit my job with the state of the economy/employment today.

Simon Williams
01-02-2010, 02:38 PM
What you should do is take more pictures of the girl in the Embrace picture.Great Photos man.

BeerNutta
01-02-2010, 02:50 PM
What kind is your camera setup?

Heya Iron Lungs,

I usually shoot with a 5d mk ii as my primary.

I have a 50d as my backup.

Depending on the shoot. I usually shoot with a 70-200 f 2.8 when im shooting models. Either that or a a 50mm F 1.8 prime.

I shoot with either the 10-20mm sigma or a canon 16-35mm F 2.8 L lens for landscapes.

I shoot models with a remote flash trigger and off camera flash.

Hope that helps.

BeerNutta
01-02-2010, 02:51 PM
What you should do is take more pictures of the girl in the Embrace picture.Great Photos man.

The girl in the Embrace picture was picked up by my mate who was the male model in that pic.

That kinda puts a kibosh on taking more pics of her.

cblakey1
01-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Great pics. You should go for it. I would though, set up a portrait studio on the side though and do weddings.

tedmic
01-02-2010, 04:17 PM
I did wedding photography as my own side business for about 20 years until 2007. The extra $$$$ was great (I cleared between $1000-$1200 for a 7 hour day) and was dreaming of doing it full time but when I looked at the cost of paying for health care on my own the numbers just didn't work for me. If you have a good day lob, I would keep it (in this economy) and do the photography on the side and see where it takes you!

oddball
01-03-2010, 12:29 AM
not bad. it looks like you've got a future.

mwf6171
01-03-2010, 12:45 AM
more pictures of bewbies!!

ratchet
01-03-2010, 01:43 AM
I did wedding photography as my own side business for about 20 years until 2007. The extra $$$$ was great (I cleared between $1000-$1200 for a 7 hour day) and was dreaming of doing it full time but when I looked at the cost of paying for health care on my own the numbers just didn't work for me. If you have a good day lob, I would keep it (in this economy) and do the photography on the side and see where it takes you!

Sounds like the plan to go with - you've got some real talent and, if busy enough, you could make some nice cash on the side!

BeerNutta
01-03-2010, 02:16 AM

I was planning on doing this in the beginning. Then when I build up enough numbers. I will break off and do it full time.

BeerNutta
01-03-2010, 02:18 AM

Thanks man. Yeah. I get that allot.

I am toying with the idea of weddings. I got models but I need to find dresses so I can build a portfolio.

cblakey1
01-03-2010, 01:54 PM
Thanks man. Yeah. I get that allot.

I am toying with the idea of weddings. I got models but I need to find dresses so I can build a portfolio.

I prefer the models without the dresses. :D

IronLungs31
01-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Heya Iron Lungs,

I usually shoot with a 5d mk ii as my primary.

I have a 50d as my backup.

Depending on the shoot. I usually shoot with a 70-200 f 2.8 when im shooting models. Either that or a a 50mm F 1.8 prime.

I shoot with either the 10-20mm sigma or a canon 16-35mm F 2.8 L lens for landscapes.

I shoot models with a remote flash trigger and off camera flash.

Hope that helps.

Very, very helpful!

I don't know if i want to make a career out of photography, but this is a hobby that I really do enjoy next to collecting of course.

BeerNutta
01-07-2010, 02:27 PM
I prefer the models without the dresses. :D

Thanks guys for your kind words.

I did a photoshoot today. I think its right up cblakey's alley. ;)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42992715@N06/

nsfw for those who cannot read between the lines.