wktf
01-07-2010, 12:19 AM
Wktf’s Reviews

Siege #1 (of 4)
Marvel Comics
Written by: Brian Michael Bendis
Drawn by: Olivier Coipel
Cover by: Olivier Coipel
Variant Covers by: Gabriele Dell’Otto, Joe Quesada, Danny Miki & Richard Isanove

This is supposed to be the Marvel crossover event to end all events, literally. If Marvel’s to be believed, this story’s been brewing for the years since Avengers Disassembled hit. There’s even a Cup O’ Joe piece in the back of this book tracing the string of events leading up to this very moment (leaving out World War Hulk, for some reason). We already saw the Skrull in Avengers Disassembled so it’s pretty clear Secret Invasion was planned since Disassembled, and Secret Invasion led to Dark Reign and Osborn’s rise to power. Now we’re supposed to see it all come crashing down and the new Age of Heroes to kick off. But first we have Siege.

And, following all the intrigue and dark corners of the Marvel Universe through which the readers have had to navigate these last few years, I have to say that the slam-bang action of Siege (at least this first issue) feels like a nice palate cleanser to this superhero fan. Bendis wastes no time revving this story from second gear all the way to fifth in just a few pages. And if Bendis’ dialogue and story don’t make it clear who the bad guys are, we need look no further than Coipel’s depiction of Osborn and Loki. Two shadier and more monstrous characters have rarely graced a comic book page. Loki in particular looks his supernatural best and Bendis, who’s proven so masterful at showing how the god of mischief manipulates Osborn has Loki finally push Norman over the edge. Way over, much to the consternation of both his boss and now reliably present direct report. And, by the way he’s able to turn Ares’ point of view regarding attacking Asgard, Norman’s proven he's still at the top of his own manipulative powers. Gotta love Ares’ threat back to him, though.

This title has been billed as a massive superhero slobber knocker, where we learn who will live and who will die, and one that’s also the end of an era. With Bendis’ breezy and tight script, and Coipel’s typically stunning, panoramic and powerfully energetic art, this first issue has proved to be the comic book version of Hollywood’s best popcorn movies that brings the noise and, with it, the pain. To this last point, I almost felt physically sick by the take-down at the end, especially given the oft reprinted opening sequence with Volstagg deflecting the U-Foes’ attack at Soldier Field, but felt some cathartic satisfaction in seeing my anger reflected back at me on the very last page. No doubt, this book is my pick of the week.

Fall of the Hulks: Gamma #1
Marvel Comics
Written by: Jeph Loeb
Drawn by: John Romita Jr.
Cover by: Ed McGuinness
Variant cover by: John Romita, Jr.

This book came out last week, but my lcs got shorted its copies and there were none left on the shelf when I got there. No great loss, I felt, as I wasn’t planning to pick up the Fall of the Hulks storyline anyway. I read the first Red Hulk arc and bailed after that. I don’t care who the Red Hulk is and, primarily due to his work on The Hulk, now consider Jeph Loeb one of the single worst comic book writers this side of Grant Morrison. Seriously, what happened to the Jeph Loeb who brought us the heartfelt and beautifully written Superman For All Seasons, Spider-Man: Blue and Daredevil: Yellow? Or, for that matter, the Jeff Loeb who’s masterfully plotted and intricately wrote Batman: The Long Halloween?

It turns out, quite possibly, that he showed up right here for this very comic book. I’ll admit I mostly bought Fall of the Hulks: Gamma for John Romita, Jr’s art. Behind George Perez, JR JR is my favorite currently working classic comic book artist. He was the perfect choice to draw Jack Kirby’s Eternals a few years back as, more than most other artists, he does seem to channel the King sometimes. Also why his work was so strong on the post-Heroes Return Thor. But I digress. Rather than the more random and senseless action Loeb has been orchestrating lately, here we’re given a heartfelt and, dare I even say, gentle story that’s a memorial tribute to a fallen friend, or a fallen enemy, depending on your perspective. Despite the occasional action sequences the creators are obliged to give us, the team of Loeb, Romita Jr and Klaus Janson deliver a surprisingly quiet but powerful story that, frankly, caught me off guard.

One fun thing about this issue is that it’s packed with guest stars, from Steve Rogers (well, shucks, I guess he’s coming back, isn’t he…do we even need to pick up Reborn #6?), to The Avengers, The Fantastic Four and even the much aged Captain Savage (anyone else remember his books from a few decades ago?). But there are a couple of other characters, long thought gone, who resurface here and a partnership we all knew from the event advertising was coming. All that said, the biggest moment may also have been the quietest moment, a brief moment in a speech that reflects the writer’s own terribly tragic experience. For this long-time Hulk reader but who recently dropped the character altogether, I found this to be a surprisingly powerful read.

Rocket's Guest Review

Astonishing X-Men #33
Marvel Comics
Written by: Warren Ellis
Drawn by: Phil Jimenez
Cover by: Phil Jimenez

This issue of Astonishing continues the current storyline, Jimenez's first as regular artist on the book. We pick up the story with Whedon creation and Astonishing mainstay Abigail Brand debriefing the team on the Sentinel that appeared last issue and is wearing the skin of one of their deceased teammates. Yes you read that right. Wearing the skin of one of their deceased teammates. Now I should say here and now I was all for the arrival of Ellis to the book when Whedon sadly departed, but this issue was the first where I felt I just wasn't on board what Ellis was doing. The art of Jimenez crackles this month, and ironically fits the grittier tone of Ellis quite well, but exactly what it is Ellis is trying to do with the team is what I'm wondering.

I thought with his initial arc that he was abandoning the nostalgic element Whedon brought to the book, but the moment Wolverine reminds us he only refers to the recently resurrected Brood as "sleazoids" that doesn't seem to be the case, and the apparent tech-edge he had been building is all but non-existent now. So where is he taking us I wonder?

All of the other neccessary elements are present again. Armor continues her development as Jubilee Mark II, Cyclops continues his new hard line approach by threatening to kill whoever is responsible, and Emma chastises someone with the power of her mind. I do wonder though, how current developments in Fraction's Uncanny (Beast quitting the team) will filter through to the Astonishing team.

By issues end we have been reintroduced to the mutant Paradigm, well a version of him anyway, and it would appear the team is once more headed to the stars. Considering this was done recently in the X books both by Brubaker and Whedon in this very book, I wonder how Ellis will make it fresh, but will reserve judgment for now.

Wktf’s Trade Reviews

Tomb of Dracula Omnibus Volume 2
Marvel Comics
Written by: Marv Wolfman, with David Anthony Kraft and Steve Englehart
Drawn by: Gene Colan & Tom Palmer, with Virgilio Redondo

Marvel released this second of three promised Tomb of Dracula Omnibi with the unusual timing of late December, 2009. You’d think closer to Halloween, when the first volume was released the prior year, would have made more sense, but whatever. The important thing is that we now have this most excellent volume of some of the very best storytelling comic books of any era had to offer. By this point, where this volume picks up with ToD #32 out of the title’s 70 issue run, the core creative team of Marv Wolfman, Gene Colan and Tom Palmer had truly hit their creative partnership and storytelling stride, and managed to hold that stride all the way through to the title’s end. Because of their sheer size, these Marvel Omnibus titles always are awkward to hold and can be a little intimidating to crack. Now, granted, I was prepped for this book, having already read the first volume and having loved this series ever since I first read it as a teenager. But, when I opened this book up after getting it home I found myself joyfully reading it every night until I’d polished it off.

I simply can’t recall another title in which I’d developed such a huge emotional investment in its heroes as I did with this core cast of vampire hunters. The aged Quincy Harker, Dracula’s lead adversary throughout this series, had lost his wife and daughter to Dracula’s hands. The youthful, beautiful but distantly cold Rachel Van Helsing had lost her parents and nearly her life as a teen to Dracula as well. Frank Drake, Dracula’s own descendant, carries the guilt and anger of having revived Dracula in ToD #1 which, in addition to unleashing the vampire lord on the world, cost him his fiancé’s life. The odd man out but still core member of the team is Blade the Vampire Hunter whose own personal target is Deacon Frost, the vampire who murdered his mother as she was in labor with Blade. But Blade hates all vampires and, as a result, particularly despises the Lord of the Undead. In this volume we’re also introduced to the nerdy and hapless Harold H. Harold and stunning but ditzy Aurora Rabinowitz, the writer and secretary to a publishing firm that prints schlock horror magazines. Though they initially create some much needed comic relief they actually manage to become core members of our family of vampire hunters. In addition to our central cast, this volume contains a bevy of guest stars, including Dr. Strange, Brother Voodoo and even The Silver Surfer, all of whom either lend important aid to our heroes or battle the Vampire Lord themselves.

Of course, in a book where Dracula is the title character, the villains found here are pretty impressive as well. Dracula, of course, remains the charismatic, volatile and incredibly dangerous threat that carried this series for seventy issues. There’s a final, desperate battle with the disembodied brain of Dr. Sun, introduced in volume 1, who actually manages to slay Dracula and usurp his powers in order to dominate mankind. This leads Quincy and his team to have to choose the lesser of two great evils as they must determine whether or not to revive Dracula in order to successfully battle Dr. Sun. This kind of character depiction, moral ambiguity and personal conflict combined with desperate action is what makes this series so special. It seems that every action on the part of our team to destroy Dracula picks at and torments their very souls as well. In this volume the character of Dracula also substantially grows beyond the maniacal and vicious monster of the first volume. Dracula hatches a plan for dominate mankind but tries to do so by creating his own religious order, allowing him to spread his evil influence and power in far more difficult, subtle and malevolent ways. This effort brings him into conflicts even Dracula couldn’t possibly imagine, conflicts not only with his very nature but also with the very nature of evil itself, in the form of Satan who fears the vampire’s plans will disturb the natural order that makes Satan’s existence even possible. And this conflict with the fallen archangel, and Dracula’s subsequent struggles, force the normally arrogant and confident Dracula to question the value and nature of his own existence.

As mentioned, it’s so clear that the team of Marv Wolfman, Gene Colan and Tom Palmer just loved the work they were doing on this title. I can’t even imagine the flow chart Marv must have created to help him layer in every plotting and sub-plotting element into this series that enables the title to take its various twists and turns, always returning to seeds planted several issues prior. Gene Colan’s art is just stunning, from the quiet moments of Quincy pondering his next move in his office with his faithful German Shepherd, Saint, at his side to the frenzied battles with Dracula where the sweeping, cinematic motion and action of these scenes are portrayed as only Gene Colan can. One in particular serves as a great example of what I mean, from issue #46, when Dracula is thrown through a window by another monster he’s battling, only to change into a bat and swing back through the window to reengage in the battle, all in a single, fluid and dynamic panel. It’s all just fantastic comic book storytelling. From the torment the vampire hunters all feel as they relentlessly pursue the proud, unnervingly empathetic yet murderous Dracula, to the intricate and carefully woven storylines, to the moody but energetic art. Reading Tomb of Dracula, the reader discovers that the journey is every bit as satisfying as the destination itself. The only place where this book does fall flat is at the very end, the last few pages in fact, where you can tell Wolfman had to suddenly come up with an ending he wasn’t prepared to execute when Colan decided he wanted off the book. Nevertheless, whether you’re a 1970s Marvel monster fan or just a fan of great comic book storytelling, I highly recommend this massive nearly 800 page volume, collecting the five year run of Tomb of Dracula #32-70, Giant-Size Dracula #5 and Dr. Strange #14, even if you can only find it at the retail price tag of $99.99.

…and for those who might be interested in what the first Tomb of Dracula Omnibus might be like, representing it from The Mighty Reviewers’ Archives:

Tomb of Dracula Omnibus Volume 1
Marvel Comics
Written by: Gerry Conway, Archie Goodwin, Gardner F. Fox, Marv Wolfman, Chris Claremont, David A. Kraft
Drawn by: Gene Colan, Tom Palmer, Mike Ploog, Don Heck
Cover by: Neal Adams
Variant Cover by: Gene Colan

Have you ever been so happy that a comic book arc or series was collected that you felt like someone up there was looking down at you, specifically, when some reprint editor decided to publish a book? I felt that way recently when DC gave us Batman: Going Sane and, years back, as well when Marvel packaged Avengers Under Siege. But this! This glorious HC is in another category altogether! To steal a bit from Tom Field’s appropriately reverential introduction, Tomb of Dracula is the single greatest comic book series of the 1970s, bar none. The team of Marv Wolfman, Gene Colan and Tom Palmer cranked out 60 consecutive issues of this 70 issue series, making them the creative team for the 1970s that Lee/Kirby was for the FF in the 1960s and Bendis/Bagley was for Ultimate Spider-Man in the new century. From its rather shaky six issue start before Wolfman joined Colan, when the book changed writers no less than three times, Tomb of Dracula would become the standard by which comic book greatness would be judged and the model for other great series in years to come. Hyperbole? I think not. And to think, like all of Marvel’s greatest creations, we have Stan Lee to thank for its genesis. The Comics Code Authority, the power that killed EC Comics, forbade the use of sex, drugs and monsters like vampires and werewolves in comic books until Stan defied them with the famous Amazing Spider-Man #96, the 1971 “drug story,” published defiantly without the CCA seal, after which the Code was forced to revise their standards. Marvel and DC lost no time exploring the appeal of horror comics with the likes of Swamp Thing, Man-Thing and Werewolf by Night. A ”living vampire’ named Morbius was even introduced shortly thereafter in the pages of Amazing Spider-Man #101. But with Tomb of Dracula, which debuted in 1972, horror comics had found its brotherhood’s reining king!

First, what will you find in this first of what’s promised to be three glorious Tomb of Dracula Omnibi? Of course, you’ll read about Frank Drake, Dracula’s semi-hapless descendant, and his role in Dracula’s rising from the grave and stepping into the Marvel Universe. You’ll be introduced to the band of vampire hunters with whom Drake joins forces. Quincy Harker, the son of Jonathan Harker who’s first introduced in the final pages of Bram Stoker’s novel, and Rachel Van Helsing, granddaughter of the famous Abraham Van Helsing also from Stoker’s book, both make the core of this team. As well, this volume introduces Blade, the vampire slayer, and Hannibal King, the vampire detective. The big title bout of this package would have to be the two issue crossover where Dracula battles Jack Russell, Werewolf by Night. But we’re also introduced to the disembodied brain called Dr. Sun, the and, possibly, Dracula’s most dangerous enemy, his own daughter Lilith!

The actual tales told would not be as powerful as I’ve made them out to be without the manner in which they’re told. Most comics of the 1960s and ‘70s were either self contained or offered extended story arcs (as Stan did with his books) that had pretty clean beginnings and ends. Oh, sure, Stan would filter sub-plots into his Spidey, Thor and FF stories that would bear fruit in future stories but, for the most part they had jumping on and off points. In Tomb of Dracula Marv Wolfman evolved his characters and interwove such compelling, powerful and intricate sub-plots that reading this book felt like being sucked into a continually growing and building serial. Anyone who’s seen The Soprano’s or Weeds knows what I’m talking about. Add to this Gene Colan’s eerie, cinematic style and graphically violent art (lots of blood and people dying!), only enhancing the growing, tumbling and weaving storytelling, and soon Marvel had a cult following for a book that sported the most unusual protagonist in comics: a soulless, evil, undead monster. But the character of Marvel’s Dracula was one of the most commanding in all of the company’s 1970s line up. Proud and powerful, arrogant yet hunted, enigmatic but violent, predator extraordinaire but one you simply couldn’t help loving to read about. This Dracula is mythic, monstrous and hateful while also intelligent, cunning, desperate and a victim of his own nature. He’s an outstanding villain who I’d stack up against any of Marvel’s pantheon of villains AND who managed to hold his own title longer than any other Marvel monster or villain, including the far more famous Marvel villain, Dr. Doom. And the Wolfman/Colan/Palmer team’s over-the-top kinetic and desperate storytelling and pacing threatens to suck the very breath from your body as you’re reading these stories.

This Omnibus collects Tomb of Dracula #1-31, Werewolf by Night #15, Giant-Size Chillers #1 and Giant-Size Dracula #2-4. It also contains some awesome Gene Colan pre-production pencil pages and, for those like me who bought the non-variant edition, you still get the full color Gene Colan painted variant cover in the book’s back. The pages are faithfully remastered and colored on the usual Omnibus high quality paper stock, and having all these issues together in their full color glory is a complete joy! My one complaint, same as with the Frank Miller DD Omnibus, is that unlike with the FF and Spidey Omnibuses Marvel chose not to reprint the letters and Bullpen Bulletins pages. Have to admit, I was looking forward to rereading these as well (especially since I had a letter printed in one of these issues) to enhance my trip down memory lane. It’s a disappointment but not enough to seriously dampen my pleasure at owning this fine volume. At a retail price of $99.99, this 784 page tome is a big purchase in these trouble economic times, no question. That said, Amazon’s got it for about 40% off and I bought mine at DCBS for 50% off. There are bargains to be had out there. If you can find this book at a price you like, damn it, buy it!

Rocket
01-07-2010, 12:26 AM
Great reviews mate, I skipped Siege, as I'm about to start reading it :D

Thanks for the opportunity Joe!!

Guys, if you'd like to see more from me, please tell Joe!! :D

VaultMan
01-07-2010, 02:27 AM
Man oh man. Joe you were soooo correct. This book is a fanboy's dream. Great scenes in this comic and Bendis is setting us up for a marvelous ending by truly making Osborn and Loki hate-worthy.

Loved it as well. Can't wait for #2!

VaultMan
01-07-2010, 02:28 AM
And yes! More Rocket!!! :buttrock:

VaultMan
01-07-2010, 02:31 AM
Joe, I'm a bit confused though about this issue (mainly because of the last page). Does this happen before or after DA Annual 1, WWW The Sheild, and current Iron man? What's the order here?

Nice reviews as always Joe.

fred flintstone
01-07-2010, 02:33 AM
this new reviewer Rocket - strange name- is indeedly well versed and writes well upon the topics - i don't read Xmen but after this beautifully scripted review i may just try it - More of this rocket i say :)

nice job rodders and the mighty reviewers as usual top shelf:D

Rocket
01-07-2010, 03:33 AM
And yes! More Rocket!!! :buttrock:

LOL Thanks E!! :wink2:

Rocket
01-07-2010, 03:33 AM
this new reviewer Rocket - strange name- is indeedly well versed and writes well upon the topics - i don't read Xmen but after this beautifully scripted review i may just try it - More of this rocket i say :)

nice job rodders and the mighty reviewers as usual top shelf:D

LOL Cheers Doc!!

See Joe I am increasing the readership!!! :laugh:

wktf
01-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Joe, I'm a bit confused though about this issue (mainly because of the last page). Does this happen before or after DA Annual 1, WWW The Sheild, and current Iron man? What's the order here?

Nice reviews as always Joe.

If I had to guess, VM, I'd say the order is

Cap Reborn #6 (which hasn't come out yet)
Who Will Wield the Shield
DA Annual and New Avengers Annuals concurrently
Iron Man #21
Siege

wktf
01-07-2010, 09:51 AM
LOL Cheers Doc!!

See Joe I am increasing the readership!!! :laugh:

:thumbs2: Rocket! We're always up for guest reviewers!

VaultMan
01-07-2010, 10:54 AM

Iron Man #21
Siege

SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
SPOILER
WARNING...STOP NOW!!!!

But the confusing part (for me) is at the end of DA Annual (I think this is the issue) Bucky's wearing the shield and the costume as he stands on the rooftop with Cap looking at Captain Marvel (Noh-Varr). Cap has already met with Obama and relinquished the role. If all of this happens afterward...why is Steve wearing the costume? And does he have the shield?

VaultMan
01-07-2010, 10:56 AM

Iron Man #21
Siege

But the confusing part (for me) is at the end of DA Annual (I think this is the issue) Bucky's wearing the shield and the costume as he stands on the rooftop with Cap looking at Captain Marvel (Noh-Varr). Cap has already met with Obama and relinquished the role. If all of this happens afterward...why is Steve wearing the costume? And does he have the shield?

But I suppose if I look at Iron Man #21, this answer the question about the costume...

As a side note...Man, Marvel really made a mess of this...how does this happen...:rolleyes2

wktf
01-07-2010, 11:57 AM
But I suppose if I look at Iron Man #21, this answer the question about the costume...

As a side note...Man, Marvel really made a mess of this...how does this happen...:rolleyes2

SPOILERS:

Yeah, Iron Man #21 has Bucky in his Cap costume and Steve in his Cap costume but Steve wearing the shield.

Who Will Wield the Shield shows Steve getting the pardon, saying he's going to relinquish the role (due to some vision of the future involving Bucky's death which we haven't seen yet as it's in Reborn #6), but then saying he'll pick it up again if needed.

So, in DA Annual and in Fall of the Hulks Gamma, we see Bucky in the costume with the shield and Steve in other garb. But in Iron Man #21 and at the end of Siege #1, we see Steve in costume.

I think, in some way, both will be in costume going forward and trading off the shield. Part of the hype for Siege is that the Big 3 are back together and I can't imagine, especially based on the cover to Siege #1, that the Cap component is Bucky.

You're right, Marvel's made this quite the confusing mess.... :sly2:

TK-421
01-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Great reviews guys!

Siege #1 was fantastic!!
I am right there with you on that last page...shivers!

I am excited for this story!

THECLOWN KNIGHT
01-07-2010, 04:41 PM
Update:

The shield will be separate in two and both Steve & Bucky will run half shield to battle! :D

abarron
01-07-2010, 05:34 PM
Nice guest review Rod.
I always fancied doing a review but my skills run to I enjoyed it or it's crap.

I am so behind in current comics I have no idea what's going on.
What happened to the sins of the fathers storyline?

VaultMan
01-07-2010, 05:39 PM
I can't imagine, especially based on the cover to Siege #1, that the Cap component is Bucky.

Agreed. Steve Rogers has to be Cap in this storyline (and he is! :thumbs2:)

wktf
01-07-2010, 07:18 PM
Agreed. Steve Rogers has to be Cap in this storyline (and he is! :thumbs2:)

Yeah, but then there's this image that you posted in another thread.

Groan....I'd so prefer Steve was Cap going forward, happy as I've been with Bucky as Cap. This is all pretty confusing.

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w195/VaultManSF/COVERSeige6.jpg

Rocket
01-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Nice guest review Rod.
I always fancied doing a review but my skills run to I enjoyed it or it's crap.

I am so behind in current comics I have no idea what's going on.
What happened to the sins of the fathers storyline?

Thanks Ash! Hopefully you'll see some more from me :D

bat_collector
01-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Rocket Rocks!!!

No DC reviews?

Rocket
01-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Rocket Rocks!!!

No DC reviews?

:thumbs2: Thanks Mikey :)

Maybe I'll do that next time :D

bat_collector
01-07-2010, 08:33 PM
that woudl be awesome mate

wktf
01-07-2010, 09:25 PM
Rocket Rocks!!!

No DC reviews?

Not this week, looks like. If I'd remembered to pick up Blackest Night Wonder Woman #2 I'd have reviewed that. Normally we try to mix it up with different publishers but it just didn't work out that way this week.

abarron
01-08-2010, 11:56 AM
Thanks Ash! Hopefully you'll see some more from me :D

Already seen enough mate and it keeps me awake at night

protector2814
01-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Thanks Reviewers and Guest...as usual, the Mighty Reviews have kicked off my weekend w/ a bang!

WKTF, I'll start with the meat and potatoes, your Tomb of Dracula Omnibus reviews. I loved your cinematic analogy and your words really made sense to me. The Wolfman/Colan/Palmer run on Tomb back in the 70's was extremely cinematic ..but to the 70's thrill films of the day. You've mentioned this before and I've agreed that Hammer Films were very much reflected in Marv's work and I suppose ('cause I don't have them yet), these omnibus must really reflect that, especially if you read the entire run almost as a movie. The same way I feel many of today's comics reflect today's movie styles - quick edits, action piled on explosive action, frantically paced, sexual bravado, etc....Tomb of Dracula reflected the slower paced, more atmospheric, sex only suggested, brooding cinematic styles of the 70's.
I loved that many of Marvel's 70's long-run books had conclusions. As a reader, it was satisfying to know that you'd been w/ a book from beginning to end. Your review has done so much to again convince me to get these books. I'm just gonna have to skip a statue to do it. This book was as good as you say, one of the best things the House of Ideas put out. I miss storytelling like this.

Siege? - Hasn't every epic that Quesada mentioned in his "cup of joe" ramble at the end of siege, promised to be an event to end all events? They all start off w/ a bang... where heroes die and a new agenda is set? Volstagg's set up in the beginning was pure evil, sad in a way. Sure, I loved this 1st issue, thought it was great and a proper kick-off too....but I also feel kinda like the guy that keeps goin' back to the same Chinese restaurant...sure, you feel great at first, so much food, so many choices, but a little before you finish your meal, your plate is a mess, everything's mixed up, and you know you'll be hungry again in an hour.
Here we go again.....*

wktf
01-08-2010, 01:33 PM
Protector, thanks for your thoughts on Tomb of Dracula and my review. That series will always remain as the highlight of my comic book reading life, for many of the reasons you mentioned.

As to your thoughts about Siege, I think we may be in for something different here. Yes, Marvel has promised to change the status quo before and, frankly, I think with episodes like Civil War and Secret Invasion they've actually succeeded though in different ways each time. Now we're looking at a take down of the forces that have moved the Marvel Universe for the last seven years (or since Disassembled) and a new, potentially brighter status quo with Age of Heroes. I for one am happy to see this, having been along for the ride the whole time. I do think things will be different going forward and, to me, that's exciting.

Monty Props
01-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Siege? - Hasn't every epic that Quesada mentioned in his "cup of joe" ramble at the end of siege, promised to be an event to end all events? They all start off w/ a bang... where heroes die and a new agenda is set? Volstagg's set up in the beginning was pure evil, sad in a way. Sure, I loved this 1st issue, thought it was great and a proper kick-off too....but I also feel kinda like the guy that keeps goin' back to the same Chinese restaurant...sure, you feel great at first, so much food, so many choices, but a little before you finish your meal, your plate is a mess, everything's mixed up, and you know you'll be hungry again in an hour. Here we go again.....*

Well said protector. Couldn't agree with you more.

protector2814
01-08-2010, 02:26 PM
Thanks wktf for commenting on my Siege issues and thanks Monty Props for commenting too. To go on for just a sec more - I don't believe Quesada when he says that Disassembled, M, Civil, Cap Death, Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, Planet Hulk and now Siege were planned to all be interconnected. I believe that Marvel got caught up in the money that could be made with these epic crossovers for the past decade and are just now, finally succumbing to fan pressure to "KNOCK IT OFF" and are agreeing to finally stop it...by going to the well one more time with Siege. Sure, this epic will be connected, but only because it has to so we'll all be able to rest assured that the hundreds and hundreds of dollars spent over the past years actually meant something. I'm almost positive that, if indeed this is the last crossover event for a while and Marvel intends to take it back to neutral and let the Marvel U just spin normally for a while, all of these epics will just be dust under the rug; 10 or so blips in their history.
I'm not saying I won't enjoy it and buy it, but I still feel manipulated and can't wait for a time when Hulk can guest spot in an Avengers book and not have the entire MU grind to a weird, all encompassing event-halt because of it.

wktf
01-08-2010, 02:37 PM
...To go on for just a sec more - I don't believe Quesada when he says that Disassembled, M, Civil, Cap Death, Secret Invasion, Dark Reign, Planet Hulk and now Siege were planned to all be interconnected...

But if you look at one tell-tale panel in Disassembled, you'll actually see a Skrull. Amidst all the action he's easy to miss but he's there. Bendis did, in fact, have Secret Invasion planned for a while, back when he was developing Disassembled. There can be little doubt that Civil War and Death of Cap were coordinated and same must be true of Secret Invasion, Dark Reign and Siege given, in both cases, one led directly to the other.

I do actually think there's some long range planning going into this, especially witih the Skrull showing up in Disassembled and in how the events led to each other, while still leaving creative license to manage them as they were being developed. They may not have been perfectly coordinated and integrated all the way through, but there's no doubt in my mind that quite a bit of long range planning went into them.

protector2814
01-08-2010, 02:54 PM
Sure...I'll agree. But do you really think that we've gone from Disassembled to Siege because of a plotted-out grand plan? Bendis, whom I really love as a writer of these epics, may have been able to connect part 1 to part 2 to part 3 but I feel add on epics were plotted-in and fleshed out later and based on the mega sales these 1st crossovers provided. Room for ongoing crossovers automatically built in (to be fleshed out later), but any one of these machines could have ended with a universe correction and a finale. They just keep coming and coming and coming because the $ keep rolling in. I think Marvel finally feels that they just can't keep doing this. They've run out of room. Time to end it and convince us that this was all a 7+ year idea.

It's been years but weren't Skrulls, at least Wanda created Skrulls part of the Disassembled Avenger massacre chaos in the mansion's front yard?

*odd - my post count has just dropped from over 6000 back down to 5952.

wktf
01-08-2010, 03:01 PM
...It's been years but weren't Skrulls, at least Wanda created Skrulls part of the Disassembled Avenger massacre chaos in the mansion's front yard?

No, actually, what Wanda created were Kree warriors. The lone Skrull was there, and again in the early issues of New Avengers (those shadowy figures in The Savage Land), to lay the seeds for Secret Invasion.

wktf
01-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Sure...I'll agree. But do you really think that we've gone from Disassembled to Siege because of a plotted-out grand plan..?

To your point, I think Disassembled and House of M happened with an eye toward Secret Invasion/Dark Reign/Siege (again, to the point of the Skrull showing up in Disassembled). All Bendis-driven.

Civil War, Death of Cap, Planet/WWHulk, I think were not necessarily conceived at the time of Disassembled but brought in during the time between Disassembled and Secret Invasion (the latter, I recall from an interview, Joe Q and Bendis wanted to keep stewing for some years before blowing out). When Mark Millar gave us Civil War (one of the best selling stories of the decade, mind you), I'm guessing Joe Q and Bendis saw how this could create the environment for Secret Invasion (and the distrust from Civil War did just that to make the Skrull's invasion more successful) and lead to the rest today.

Monty Props
01-09-2010, 09:16 AM
wktf and protector, I really appreciate your thoughts on this. Very insightful.

wktf
01-09-2010, 01:10 PM
wktf and protector, I really appreciate your thoughts on this. Very insightful.

Thanks for the props, Monty (yes, I tried to be funny with that statement).

But props to protector, too. I have to say, protector is exactly the kind of guy with whom I like getting into discussions/debates and even disagreements. He asks questions, expresses a point of view, is well informed (well, with the exception of thinking Wanda manufactured Skrulls, rather than Kree, in Disassembled, that is :) ) and his points are well reasoned, he's passionate about comics, he's respectful and never takes or delivers comments in a personal way, and always pushes for a good outcome. He's a terrific fellow and forum member. I wish everyone on this and other forums was as much a class act as he is.

protector2814
01-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the props, Monty (yes, I tried to be funny with that statement).

But props to protector, too. I have to say, protector is exactly the kind of guy with whom I like getting into discussions/debates and even disagreements. He asks questions, expresses a point of view, is well informed (well, with the exception of thinking Wanda manufactured Skrulls, rather than Kree, in Disassembled, that is :) ) and his points are well reasoned, he's passionate about comics, he's respectful and never takes or delivers comments in a personal way, and always pushes for a good outcome. He's a terrific fellow and forum member. I wish everyone on this and other forums was as much a class act as he is.

LOL - For Cryin' Out Loud! That was Seven Years Ago!!! Give a guy a break! :laugh: Bottom Line, this is a great place to talk comics! I don't care how much a member knows, doesn't know, how long they've been reading, if they're Marvel or DC, if they like Rulk or not. It's all good. We all love comics and that's what this place is all about, baby.

wktf
01-09-2010, 06:06 PM
LOL - For Cryin' Out Loud! That was Seven Years Ago!!! Give a guy a break! :laugh:

Oh, hey, your memory lapse is forgiven. I'll try to keep you on the straight and narrow whenever possible. :laugh:

JDH
01-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Snow delays meant I just read Siege tonight! My comics guy wasn't too hot on it, but I thought it got things going nicely. I'm pretty sure Siege is going to deliver, and I'm looking forward to the bold new world it might usher in. I can't believe Coipel is the same artist who saddled the Avengers with awful outfits in Geoff Johns' disappointing run. He's turned into one of the best around, the perfect choice for this Thor-centric event.

Also read Siege Embedded. Odd that Volstagg could elude everyone but Ben Urich simply by walking away from the stadium!

wktf
01-15-2010, 07:06 PM
I didn't pick up Siege: Embedded, but perhaps I should. Jess, did you read Coipel's outstanding recent run on Thor? Highly, highly recommended if you didn't and you can find it in the cheaper trade paperback version now in addition to HC.

Yeah, I agree about the costumes in the Johns/Coipel run, but I really liked the Red Zone story they did, per this review from The Archives of The Mighty Reviews:

Wktf’s Trade Review

The Avengers: Red Zone
Marvel Comics
Written by: Geoff Johns
Drawn by: Olivier Coipel with Ivan Reis

My recent read and review of the two Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps War volumes sent me back to my library for some more Geoff Johns trades and when I rediscovered this one I pulled it off the shelf immediately. I remember how much I loved this storyline when I first read it in its monthly comic book installments back in 2003, thinking “this is what an Avengers story should be about.” Reading it again I’ve gained a renewed appreciation for this story, for Johns’ storytelling and scripting and, as if I needed it after his recent wonderful work on Thor, for Coipel’s stunning artwork.

This trade begins with a deceptive Falcon one-shot story, penciled by Ivan Reis. I say it’s deceptive as it seems mostly to be a one-off story about The Falcon, his history and what drives him, as well as about his strained relationship with The Avengers’ UN liaison, Henry Gyrich. The tension between Falcon and Gyrich goes as far back as 1979’s Avengers #181 when Gyrich pushed The Falcon, as a means to force some ethnic diversity, onto the team. With this one installment the tension between these two characters is nicely played out to where they develop an understanding that, later in this trade, leads to some interesting teamwork as well as a key moment of crisis toward the trade’s conclusion. The core crisis of this tale begins with the very next issue, or chapter. A huge red cloud emanates from Mt. Rushmore, in South Dakota, which turns out to contain a flesh eating bacteria that delivers a ghastly death in moments, striking down hundreds at first and then thousands. No sooner does this biohazard strike than The Avengers are on the scene. This team consists of Captain America in his familiar post as team leader, The Falcon, The Wasp, Scarlet Witch, Vision, Jack of Hearts, Ant-Man (the now-deceased Scott Lang), She-Hulk, Warbird (Ms. Marvel again, today), Iron Man and Black Panther.

Written in a post-9/11 world, this deadly chemical attack can only appear to be a terrorist act. But by whom? Likely suspects, it turns out, are nowhere near the truth. And The Avengers must work to rescue the thousands of victims, work with the Army and Park Rangers to contain the disaster, while also venturing into the heart of the contagion and seek to determine, and bring to justice, the perpetrator. All the while our team is under fire by Secretary of State Dell Rusk who seems bent on persecuting this team even to the point of trying to use Gyrich to spy on their activities. The danger is literally all around The Avengers as they deal with Rusk, the contagion, and their own inter-team dynamics, all at the same time. Coipel’s art is just fantastic here, and the sheer terror and claustrophobia this group of heroes feels as they don hazmat suits and walk into the thick, dark heart of the red mist is genuinely nerve wracking. Johns proves, yet again, how truly talented a writer he is lending individual voices to this huge cast of characters, as he’s done so effectively more recently at DC with JSA, while creating interesting tensions among his cast. Examples of interpersonal tensions include those between Jack of Hearts and Ant-Man, Iron Man and Black Panther and, of course, The Falcon and Gyrich. The Scarlet Witch’s support of The Vision’s conflicted feelings during this crisis also is truly touching, especially with Avengers Disassembled in hindsight. When I first read the the big villain reveal it caught me completely off guard in a great storytelling satisfying way, even though a few key signs to his identity most definitely were there, and Johns’ use of this villain and the final conflict with him, not with the hero you’d expect but with the hero that makes the most perfect sense, is absolutely riveting.

Yes, this most definitely is what an Avengers story should be all about. Captain America is the awe inspiring undisputed leader that he is. This team of diverse heroes can’t help but result in brutal tensions but also come together when they absolutely have to do so. Avengers: Red Zone has some wonderful, absolutely spot-on character moments and pent up, broiling angry battle scenes…especially the final one which is absolutely jaw-dropping and bone crunching. As an added bonus, there’s also a pivotal historic moment here: the first time the She-Hulk “Hulks Out” and nearly destroys The Vision. Most people remember her doing this in Avengers Disassembled but this story is where it happened first. In the end, I absolutely loved this trade. Collecting Avengers Volume 3, issues 64-70, this one has to be among my most favorite Avengers stories. For story, scripting and art, I simply cannot recommend it enough.