PDA

View Full Version : Girlfriends and Collecting...

JusticeIsBlind
01-10-2010, 06:44 PM
hi, i dont post here often but i visit daily. Im sorry if this in the wrong section MODs.

Anyway iv been with my new girlfriend nearly 4 months, my girlfriend before her never really had a problem with my collecting she found it kinda cute. However, my new girlfriend isnt too keen, i showed her my collection room and she was quite impressed at first but since then shes called it childish among other things. I havent bought any new statues since being with her, ive sold a lot of my collection but im starting to think why should i change who i am for someone. What would you guys do? Would you just keep it to yourself and not mention the hobby?

Thanks for reading

P.S i didnt have a massive collection but it was slowly getting there.

BekkHansStudio
01-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Start Collecting statues of your X-girlfriends in not so good phoses... Then if she becomes trouble you say... Do you want to end up on that shelf? :buttrock:

Or a nice one... Comission a statue of her in a good phose.:thumbs2:

lord odin
01-10-2010, 06:49 PM
I wouldn't sell one piece unless I wanted to.
You have been with her for 4 months and you have problems/regrets so it's only going to get worse the longer you stay with her/collect while being with her.
Get out now or make a choice soon.
That's all the Dr.Phil advice I have for you.

Vince-Vell
01-10-2010, 06:51 PM
Id drop her like a ton of bricks. If she wants to mold you into what she wants and not let you be herself, you prob wont end up happy in the long run.

Minute i start to date someone and they give me chit about my hobby its over, the ones who dont care and let me be me are the ones i was happy with.

But the minute children get brought up, thats a deal breaker too.....:flash:

Alex655321
01-10-2010, 06:52 PM
I think part of a healthy relationship is understanding and accepting what each other likes.

If she can't accept your hobby that is important to you then it might be time for a new girlfriend.

It's not like you started collecting after you met her.

koten
01-10-2010, 06:59 PM
I think part of a healthy relationship is understanding and accepting what each other likes.

If she can't accept your hobby that is important to you then it might be time for a new girlfriend.

This is quality advice right here. Listen to this man!

Trilogy
01-10-2010, 07:01 PM
If she doesn't like you for who you truly are, she's not the women for you.

dr_teng
01-10-2010, 07:12 PM
If she just said it was childish and didn't really care, I'd say no big deal. But if she said a lot of other negative stuff about it, that's a bad sign.

As long as statue collecting isn't a negative influence on your life (you're spending too much money, for example) then it shouldn't be a relationship issue. If she's making it one, have a talk with her. Might be something she can't get over.

El Diablo
01-10-2010, 07:13 PM
Keep the statues, get rid of her. Though ideally keep in touch for the ocassional casual sex :D

Sledge Hammer!
01-10-2010, 07:14 PM

Exactly, if she can't accept you for who you are, with all of your little quirks, whatever they may happen to be, but instead wants to mold you into who she wants you to be, then that's a pretty bad sign for any long term relationship possibilities in my opinion.

I mean she doesn't have to understand the appeal of why and what you collect, but if she can't even accept that that's just a part of who you are, and that it might mean something to you, then she's probably not the right person for you.

You know, says the single guy... :laugh:

crazy_legs03
01-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Show us your collection room ...

Then I'll make a judgement ...

El Diablo
01-10-2010, 07:16 PM

Then show us the girl....then i'll make a judgment.

polystoned
01-10-2010, 07:19 PM
You could ask when she will figure out that one of the keys to happiness is
regularly lending a credit card to your inner child.

Alex655321
01-10-2010, 07:21 PM

Then show us the girl....then i'll make a judgment.

:laugh:

Craze
01-10-2010, 07:28 PM
You know you've found the right one when she starts buying you collectibles as gifts on birthdays,x-mas and such, until then keep lookin'...at least that is my philosophiy. :thumbs2:

Trilogy
01-10-2010, 07:32 PM
You know you've found the right one when she starts buying you collectibles as gifts on birthdays,x-mas and such,..

Thankfully some of us are so blessed.

nbr3bagshotrow
01-10-2010, 07:32 PM
I'd be pissed if anyone called my collection childish. Drop her IMO.

galactus
01-10-2010, 07:41 PM
From what you've said, it doesn't sound like she's told you the collecting is a deal breaker, nor that she doesn't like you spending money on it, she merely mentioned that she thought it was childish (among other things). Your not purchasing pieces and selling others seems to have been your own decision, not because of her "telling" you to do so.

Frankly, do what you want at this point. She knew what you had when you started dating and accepted it. If she's complaining for the sake of complaining, or saying that you should be spending that money on her and not on yourself, dump her ass.

JadeGiant
01-10-2010, 07:41 PM
to the curb ..... _ _ _ _ _ _ _ (fill in the blanks)

Simon Williams
01-10-2010, 07:54 PM
My signature says it all.:D

MONSTER
01-10-2010, 07:58 PM
I'd be pissed if anyone called my collection childish. Drop her IMO.

Well it is.;)

Zer0
01-10-2010, 08:06 PM
I'm not going to advise you one way, or the other, about how to deal with your relationship, but I will say this: It's a bad sign when someone you're with starts disagreeing with your non-destructive recreational habits so early in the relationship. It isn't as if you're doing something that would harm yourself, or others, so there's really no reason for someone to speak up about it.

My advice to you is to continue doing what you like and, if she becomes more vocal about your hobby in the future and/or if you become less happy with the situation, seriously re-evaluate the status of the relationship.

I think, though, that it probably wouldn't hurt to tell her how you feel about the situation ahead of time and see what she has to say. A key part of a healthy relationship, with anyone close to you, is communication.

Bottom line: Do what you have to do to be happy.

Ink
01-10-2010, 08:09 PM
time to drop her off

Kingofthehill78
01-10-2010, 08:17 PM
Id drop her like a ton of bricks. If she wants to mold you into what she wants and not let you be herself, you prob wont end up happy in the long run.

Minute i start to date someone and they give me chit about my hobby its over, the ones who dont care and let me be me are the ones i was happy with.

So thats the reason why you left you me?..:bawling:

pjunk
01-10-2010, 08:21 PM
my girlfriend wasnt too keen on my collection either untill the disney stuff started coming out. now she collects too. try showing her the tonner stuff, its ghastly but my girlfriend goes nuts for the frilly gowns and crap. maybe that will help especially if she was into barbies when she was younger

protector2814
01-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Just ignore her when she says disparaging things about your collection. If the relationship lasts a long time or even bleeds into marriage, trust me, it'll be just one of may things she says that you'll learn to ignore. Practice makes perfect. I've learned to tune my wife out like bad radio station on a long car trip.

Darth Pain
01-10-2010, 08:48 PM
Use and abuse her for a while then kick her aside when you find someone that likes you for you.

lord odin
01-10-2010, 09:00 PM

Ditto no germ factories for me.

theguru1
01-10-2010, 09:39 PM
Just ignore her when she says disparaging things about your collection. If the relationship lasts a long time or even bleeds into marriage, trust me, it'll be just one of may things she says that you'll learn to ignore. Practice makes perfect. I've learned to tune my wife out like bad radio station on a long car trip.

ahh, yes, the secret to a good relationship.... listen and agree with everything she says, and then do whatever you wanted to do anyway.....

lord odin
01-10-2010, 09:45 PM
Wait til IronLungs31 reads this thread.
He tells it like it is.:thumbs2:

koten
01-10-2010, 10:43 PM
LOL! I guess we need pics now! Side by side comparison shots of the collection vs. the girl.

boondocksaint
01-10-2010, 10:47 PM
Use and abuse her for a while then kick her aside when you find someone that likes you for you.

well said

wolverinejedi007
01-10-2010, 11:03 PM
First question is how hot is she???

second question is who cares what she thinks, its your stuff, and if she doesnt like it she can always leave and dont let the door hit ya in the A$$ on the way out!!!

IronLungs31
01-10-2010, 11:19 PM
I wouldn't sell one piece unless I wanted to.
You have been with her for 4 months and you have problems/regrets so it's only going to get worse the longer you stay with her/collect while being with her.
Get out now or make a choice soon.
That's all the Dr.Phil advice I have for you.

And, the Mad Russian has spoken!

I would say my part but it would be too vulgar for the forum. I will say this, they come a dime a dozen, and you can find yourself another one tomorrow! Then when you are ready to get rid of her. Rip her in your statue room for one last stand then kick her ass side ways...:thumbs2: It's a must that you insult her the best way that you can before kicking the B---H to the next dude.

Rocket
01-10-2010, 11:33 PM
No one, no one male or female has the right tell anyone else that they can't do something that isn't hurting anyone. Like the majority is saying mate, it may be time to move on if she can't accept you for who you are :o

The Batfan
01-11-2010, 12:19 AM
it was my xwifes fault I started collecting in the first place, she told me I needed a hobby and that hobby soon turned into a obsession. which I was lucky when I was married never had a single problem from her on that point guess I was lucky in that way but we still divorced in the end thou LOL

Averone
01-11-2010, 12:21 AM
Take the initiative and tell her that you will not change just because she is in the picture now. Let her know what you think of her shopping, collection of purses or shoes that she has.

You shouldn't change because you meet her. The reason she likes you is because of who you are. Why change?

VinReaper
01-11-2010, 12:44 AM
hi, i dont post here often but i visit daily. Im sorry if this in the wrong section MODs.

Anyway iv been with my new girlfriend nearly 4 months, my girlfriend before her never really had a problem with my collecting she found it kinda cute. However, my new girlfriend isnt too keen, i showed her my collection room and she was quite impressed at first but since then shes called it childish among other things. I havent bought any new statues since being with her, ive sold a lot of my collection but im starting to think why should i change who i am for someone. What would you guys do? Would you just keep it to yourself and not mention the hobby?

Thanks for reading

P.S i didnt have a massive collection but it was slowly getting there.

If she doesn't like you for who you are, no matter what you get rid of for her, she will never truly like you. You can't change who you are for anyone. If she expects you to do it. Drop her like a bad habit and find someone that appreciates you for you.

JMO!

Collect on!!! :buttrock:

VR

heykool69
01-11-2010, 12:50 AM
I wonder what she gotta say if you have provocative babe statues like Sideshow's White Queen. My wife understands this hobby is just part of the "big" kid inside of me before & after we've married.

ratchet
01-11-2010, 12:54 AM
Childish? Ask her to show you a child that has $300 on a collectible?

Ridiculous!

Averone
01-11-2010, 12:58 AM
Childish? Ask her to show you a child that has $300 on a collectible?

Ridiculous!

Thats why they are called "Collectibles" and not toys!

rabid_wolf
01-11-2010, 02:34 AM
Thats why they are called "Collectibles" and not toys!

If she knows the statues are important to you and acts in a demeaning manner and tries to stop you from collecting then that tells you a lot about who she is. She may not like them but should not rain on your parade. You say you already stopped collecting.

what would happen if you got serious and even eventually moved in together. is she going to nag until you get rid of everything. Its more than just her controlling your hobby...it shows that she will be very controlling whenever she doesnt like something.

ratchet
01-11-2010, 02:42 AM
If she knows the statues are important to you and acts in a demeaning manner and tries to stop you from collecting then that tells you a lot about who she is. She may not like them but should not rain on your parade. You say you already stopped collecting.

what would happen if you got serious and even eventually moved in together. is she going to nag until you get rid of everything. Its more than just her controlling your hobby...it shows that she will be very controlling whenever she doesnt like something.

Next thing you know she will tell you she doesn't like the way you dress - and she will start buying clothes for you... PINK SHIRTS!

polystoned
01-11-2010, 03:12 AM
PINK SHIRTS!
http://i47.tinypic.com/348rsky.png

PURPLE PANTS!

JusticeIsBlind
01-11-2010, 07:05 AM
thanks for the replys guys, my collection room doesnt have much in it anymore just alot of boxes, im gonna tidy it up today and get it back to the way it was and see how she reacts to that, if she moans then your probably right and i should move on :)

Ive just purchased my first two statues in 4 months, forgot how exciting it is waiting for them to arrive :buttrock:

ratchet
01-11-2010, 08:58 AM
http://i47.tinypic.com/348rsky.png

PURPLE PANTS!

Well, now, that would be okay...

El Diablo
01-11-2010, 09:03 AM

and they say romance is dead.....

VinReaper
01-11-2010, 09:15 AM

Next thing you know she will tell you she doesn't like the way you dress - and she will start buying clothes for you... PINK SHIRTS!

Exactly!

It also shows that she is not understanding or caring of what makes you happy. Only what makes her happy or even more so, what makes her feel more comfortable. It seems she may ant you to get rid of them because she sees in the future that she may have to be seen by her friends in your mutual home having these "TOYS". And she is embarrassed of them and in essence embarrassed of you!

You should explain this point to her and see what she has to say! I'd like to know!

Granted a home should be made for everyone to be comfortable. So a man cave/collection room would be the best ideal to maintain this harmony. But saying you can't have anything or must stop is just a way of saying they want to change you into what they want to be with and not be with who you are.

VR

IronLungs31
01-11-2010, 09:32 AM
thanks for the replys guys, my collection room doesnt have much in it anymore just alot of boxes, im gonna tidy it up today and get it back to the way it was and see how she reacts to that, if she moans then your probably right and i should move on :)

Ive just purchased my first two statues in 4 months, forgot how exciting it is waiting for them to arrive :buttrock:

That's it grab your sacks and stand up for what's yours bro!

dechirico7
01-11-2010, 09:46 AM
I think this thread is kind of sexist.
It should say girlfriends/boyfriends.

I've had quite a few exboyfriends that didn't understand my hobby.
And about 50% of them that thought it was a waste of money and stupid.

No significant other will ever change my hobbies, they make me who I am.
If they want to be with me they have to accept everything about me.

sputnik
01-11-2010, 09:55 AM
I would tell her you like your money right where you can see it. A womans shoe/purse/clothes collection does not apprieciate in value!

CKinSD
01-11-2010, 10:06 AM
if your "other" (be it male or female) does not like the collection and is bagging on you this early int he relationship. let them go find someone else

Vince-Vell
01-11-2010, 10:18 AM
So thats the reason why you left you me?..:bawling:

:flash:

I wouldnt go that far saying its sexist, he was asking input for his specific situation. But im sure input from all genders will help him out. :thumbs2:

ratchet
01-11-2010, 01:36 PM

The OP doesn't date boys... as far as he has told us - so, no, not really sexist...

JusticeIsBlind
01-11-2010, 01:39 PM
haha no i dont date boys, strictly women. I didnt intend it to be sexist in anyway, just my situation involves my girlfriend, i didnt really think that much into it sorry.

VinReaper
01-11-2010, 01:59 PM

I've had quite a few exboyfriends that didn't understand my hobby.
And about 50% of them that thought it was a waste of money and stupid.

No significant other will ever change my hobbies, they make me who I am.
If they want to be with me they have to accept everything about me.

You are absolutely right. And I am sure that this thread was not meant to be sexist. This could be the case in either side of the relationship. I am glad that you pointed this out!

No one should try to control their partner. They should accept them for who they are and if they can't then they really aren't a partner now are they? Since partners are by definition equal.

VR

Devo
Bin her my man. My new lady friend is freaking awesome and doesn't cost me a fortune in shoes.

She's into Batman and DC comics and all that nonsense...only a matter of time before I convert her to the Darkside of the Force ;)

VinReaper
if your "other" (be it male or female) does not like the collection and is bagging on you this early int he relationship. let them go find someone else

Amen!

VR

crazy_legs03
01-11-2010, 05:12 PM
still waiting for pics ......

asura
01-11-2010, 10:21 PM
Sit down and watch the 40 years old virgin...she will change her mind :buttrock:

dechirico7
01-11-2010, 10:36 PM
Alright, alright it isnt sexist, just sharing my point. :confused2

I wish I could find someone that appreciated my hobby. Argh
I hate dating!

ratchet
01-11-2010, 10:52 PM

I hate dating!

How do you feel about married men? :eplus2:

michaelgloch
01-11-2010, 11:29 PM
she will complain and criticize, your statues will love you forever without complaint or judgement. nuff said.

VinReaper
01-11-2010, 11:32 PM

VR

ansel39
01-11-2010, 11:33 PM
my wife does not understand my passion for this hobby but she would never put me down for it. If a person does not like you for who you are then to hell with the byatch. plenty of girls who will touch you in those secret special places and not look down on you for your collection

VinReaper
01-11-2010, 11:34 PM

I hate dating!

http://i265.photobucket.com/albums/ii206/vinreaper/MISC/matt_leblanc55.jpg

:D

VR

DeKind
01-12-2010, 03:36 AM
at least its not shoes, handbags, and buckets full of useless jewelry that will never be worn unless its cheap crap.

Matches Malone
01-12-2010, 08:31 AM
Why don't you have a conversation with her about it? If collecting is important to you let her know and see what her reaction/stance is on it. She may just not appreciate exactly what it means to you. Then make an informed decision from there.

I think making a decision based on the imput and thoughts of your partner will leave you feeling better about your choice than basing it on the posts of online associates.

Mandragora
01-12-2010, 08:44 AM
There is no shortage of ladies who accept, and even appreciate, this hobby. Just do what you need to do to make yourself happy.

dechirico7
01-12-2010, 08:54 AM

they are stinky

lol

RichBamf
01-12-2010, 09:07 AM
This thread makes me appreciated Mrs Bamf all the more...:laugh:

VinReaper
01-12-2010, 09:14 AM
There is no shortage of ladies who accept, and even appreciate, this hobby. Just do what you need to do to make yourself happy.

:eek: Erin giving Dr. Ruth type advice! :confused2

VR

MACATTACK
01-12-2010, 09:34 AM

Apparantly if I did I could go blind :confused2

dr_teng
01-12-2010, 09:57 AM

Don't worry about it, they'll have robotic eye replacements for that anytime now. Go nuts!

MACATTACK
01-12-2010, 10:04 AM
Don't worry about it, they'll have robotic eye replacements for that anytime now. Go nuts!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v197/kaeli/homer_woohoo.jpg

nbr3bagshotrow
01-12-2010, 10:06 AM
Mrs Hobbit is totally ok with my collection habits. She really likes most of the SS PF's I have (Indy, T-800, John Wayne), my Elvira not so much.

She likes the TMNT and Evil Queen PF's I've showed her.

ratchet
01-12-2010, 10:10 AM
they are stinky

lol

http://www.jimmourey.com/blog/media/blogs/a/FunnyBecauseItsTrue.png

Mandragora
01-12-2010, 10:28 AM
This thread makes me appreciated Mrs Bamf all the more...:laugh:

ditto with Mr. Mandragora :thumbs2:

Mandragora
01-12-2010, 10:29 AM

samhain81
01-12-2010, 10:56 AM
Wow. Just really goes to show the contrast of some girls. I have a 'girl' friend, who is a very close friend, and not even my partner, and she loves my collection. Even better, she's paid for a majority of my statues, and even commissioned a peice for me.

I'm sorry OP I don't feel your pain, but one thing I know is, I would never change who I am, but more importantly, what I enjoy in life, because she's technically taking away a part of your happiness, and way of life. Do you really want that taken away all for the sake of some trim and boobies and a female face to look at in the mornin?

Frankierock
01-12-2010, 12:18 PM
Sit down and watch the 40 years old virgin...she will change her mind :buttrock:

That will not work..tried that move on my wife...She told me "That's great, now sell it if it is worth all that money"...lmao

KerryLou82
01-13-2010, 02:44 PM
Wow. Just really goes to show the contrast of some girls. I have a 'girl' friend, who is a very close friend, and not even my partner, and she loves my collection. Even better, she's paid for a majority of my statues, and even commissioned a peice for me.

Aw, look at you saying nice things about me! Though I beg to differ about us being just friends. By joining this forum, I've now taken away your privacy, can review all your purchases, and have the last word over everything you say. That offically makes me your wife. :D

KerryLou82
01-13-2010, 03:28 PM

No 'probably' about it. Never change your hobby for a woman because she's moaning about it.

I'm still single. :wink2:

nbr3bagshotrow
01-13-2010, 03:32 PM
Aw, look at you saying nice things about me! Though I beg to differ about us being just friends. By joining this forum, I've now taken away your privacy, can review all your purchases, and have the last word over everything you say. That offically makes me your wife. :D

I'd go back over all his posts to see if he's consistent!:laugh:

UnicornPegasus
01-13-2010, 11:49 PM
Does she collect shoes or purses? Everybody collects something, you should not have to change your collecting habits to suit a mate. If my husband had a problem with my collecting I'd've been like buh-bye. But then again, I'm weird for a girl. ;)

heykool69
01-14-2010, 12:07 AM

Does she collect shoes or purses? Everybody collects something, you should not have to change your collecting habits to suit a mate. If my husband had a problem with my collecting I'd've been like buh-bye. But then again, I'm weird for a girl. ;)

Girls who collects or support the man of this hobby are.... PRICELESS!!!

Mandragora
01-14-2010, 12:35 AM
Girls who collects or support the man of this hobby are.... PRICELESS!!!

I have to say none of my lady friends think my collection is weird . . quite the opposite.

To be fair, one, they don't live with me . . . and two, most of them are dirty stagehand ladies with enough problems of their own to deal with.

VinReaper
01-14-2010, 12:38 AM
I have to say none of my lady friends think my collection is weird . . quite the opposite.

To be fair, one, they don't live with me . . . and two, most of them are dirty stagehand ladies with enough problems of their own to deal with.

Please define "dirty"! :confused2

VR

Mandragora
01-14-2010, 11:02 AM
Please define "dirty"! :confused2

VR

oh you know :wink2:

rkolinski
01-14-2010, 11:07 AM

This sounds like a match made in heaven, if not the UN or the Statue Forum; I mean, someone from N. Ireland & the UK - you two should suggest a themed diorama to Sideshow! :slapf: :crazy: Just joking actually because after checking where KerryLou and Samhain live, It brought a smile to my face and made me laugh at the same time! :laugh:

VinReaper
01-14-2010, 12:08 PM
oh you know :wink2:

Coyote urine! I remember the story! :D

Everyone else....Don't ask! LOL!

VR

Mandragora
01-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Coyote urine! I remember the story! :D

Everyone else....Don't ask! LOL!

VR

on a side note . . the lady, other than me, from that story is currently sailing by herself down the pacific coast

do i know how to pick 'em or what? :D

VinReaper
01-14-2010, 12:19 PM
on a side note . . the lady, other than me, from that story is currently sailing by herself down the pacific coast

do i know how to pick 'em or what? :D

By herself? You should have told me! I would have gone for the ride! :D

I forget if you said if she were good looking or not! LOL! :D

VR

KerryLou82
01-14-2010, 12:26 PM
I'd go back over all his posts to see if he's consistent!:laugh:

I'm not going to dare go back over his posts! His birthday's coming up and I don't want to know what uber-expensive pieces he's been drooling over. :laugh:

KerryLou82
01-14-2010, 12:53 PM
This sounds like a match made in heaven, if not the UN or the Statue Forum; I mean, someone from N. Ireland & the UK - you two should suggest a themed diorama to Sideshow! :slapf: :crazy: Just joking actually because after checking where KerryLou and Samhain live, It brought a smile to my face and made me laugh at the same time! :laugh:

It's amazing how many invasions can be forgiven by the gifting of a few Bowens. :thumbs2:

Magik
01-14-2010, 01:52 PM

Oh my... this just got interesting...

VinReaper
01-14-2010, 02:02 PM

:laugh: Too funny!

http://bestsmileys.com/welcome/18.gif TO THE FORUM! You are gonna fit right in! :laugh: :buttrock:

VR

KerryLou82
01-14-2010, 03:08 PM
Oh my... this just got interesting...

Replace the word 'interesting' with the word 'scary' and you've nailed his reaction to my quote. :laugh:

KerryLou82
01-14-2010, 03:13 PM
http://bestsmileys.com/welcome/18.gif TO THE FORUM! You are gonna fit right in! :laugh: :buttrock:

Thank you, VinReaper. :) At some point I may even find the time and courage to post on another thread. :laugh:

Ink
01-14-2010, 03:16 PM

you've been busted :laugh:

VinReaper
01-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Thank you, VinReaper. :) At some point I may even find the time and courage to post on another thread. :laugh:

I look forward to it! :thumbs2:

VR