PDA

View Full Version : Choices...

Craze
01-20-2010, 02:27 AM
So earlier this evening I was looking at a newer nicer camera in the store. I was very impressed with a couple, but I figured I would come home and asked my experienced friends here on the forum. I really like the Nikon D5000 and was looking at the Canon equivalent as well, I'll use it for my statue photography and maybe some general photos and landscapes... So I am asking for opinions, pluses, minuses, recommendations, any info before I drop some cash that could get me another statue on a new camera. Thanks ahead of time.:)

hazmatt
01-20-2010, 10:06 AM
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond5000/

Check for the canon model you were looking at on this site as well. Hope this helps...

IronLungs31
01-20-2010, 12:22 PM
The camera is one part of the equation, but there is lens, lighting, tripods etc...

Craze
01-20-2010, 05:54 PM
Yup I already have a basic studio and lighting set-up. Looking for a newer camera maybe a lens or 2. I need a macro and wide angle lens for sure so thats really all I am looking at in the immediate future. Thanks hazmatt I appreciate that link, your pics are some of my main source of inspiration around here. Does anyone have a absolute preference between the two I know its almost like comparing Pepsi to Coke, but I gotta ask. lol :thumbs2:

hazmatt
01-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Yup I already have a basic studio and lighting set-up. Looking for a newer camera maybe a lens or 2. I need a macro and wide angle lens for sure so thats really all I am looking at in the immediate future. Thanks hazmatt I appreciate that link, your pics are some of my main source of inspiration around here. Does anyone have a absolute preference between the two I know its almost like comparing Pepsi to Coke, but I gotta ask. lol :thumbs2:

Assuming you are talking about Canon vs. Nikon, it really depends on what brand you are familiar with. If you have been shooting Nikon, then stick with Nikon...same goes for Canon. I think these days the differences between the two brands are quite slim. If you have not used either, then it really does not matter which brand you choose.

Remember it is the camera body that will grow old somewhat quick in the digital world we live in now. Lenses on the other hand change very minimally over time. Therefore, it's best (IMO) to spend your money on nice glass, which will serve you over many years & camera bodies. They also hold their value if you ever decide to sell unlike and older DSLR body. Get a body that suits your needs now and that you can grow with for some time and then upgrade as you deem necessary.

Thanks for the compliment. Glad to hear my pics can inspire. :D

Craze
01-20-2010, 08:23 PM
I am talking comparisions between the Canon and Nikon, and I haven't really used either so thats the info I am looking for to make my final decision. All of this feedback is really helping me alot... so thanks again! :)

Mandragora
01-20-2010, 08:52 PM
canon, in my opinion, is way more user friendly. Meaning the controls are a lot more intuitive and you don't have to go digging through menus to get to basic funcions.

Craze
01-21-2010, 01:45 AM
Ok so what Canon does everyone prefer here or use?

Tyz1on
01-21-2010, 08:51 AM
I have a Canon Xsi and love it. Very user friendly and I wholeheartedly agree with hazmatt about getting good glass. I have good mid range lens' right now, but I'm saving for some top end stuff that will serve me through many more camera bodies. I can't offer any input for Nikon as I have not used one, but the Nikon owners here have only good things to say as well.

hazmatt
01-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Craze, how much are you looking to spend?

mwf6171
01-21-2010, 10:02 AM
Ok so what Canon does everyone prefer here or use?

My wife has a Canon 50D and loves it.

Craze
01-21-2010, 12:26 PM
looks like it will be a little over $1000.

IronLungs31
01-21-2010, 01:33 PM
Look like you are in range to get yourself a Canon TSi. Something like 799.99 depends on where you are buying from.

Craze
01-22-2010, 02:01 AM
Yeah that's seems to be the price range that I am looking at, since I am not by any means a professional photographer. This will be my first SLR, but would like to increase my knowledge and skills a bit and have something that can give me pretty good pictures.

Predator
01-22-2010, 07:54 AM
You cant go wrong with Canon or Nikon. It comes down to personal preference. Find out which one feels better in your hands.

Craze
01-23-2010, 02:46 AM
Well first of all thanks for all the input everyone, it really helped me out. I knew I could depend on the people here to provide me with the info I needed to help me make a decision. Been out shopping and playing around. Gonna pick-up the Nikon D5000. :thumbs2:

Craze
01-23-2010, 03:58 PM
Well just got back from the store here, I am now the proud new owner of a Nikon D5000, now I just need to learn how the thing works lol... again thanks for all your input and info here. :)