Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old Today, 11:52 AM   #151
Hobbyist
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
I don't find that reasoning to hold any water. Infinity Studio and Queen Studios are both Asian companies, and they've produced some amazing likenesses of non-Asian people. I think it more comes down to individual pieces within each company, as no company has a 100% track record of nailing human likenesses.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade3327 View Post
Silly take. For years, most of the industry's leading likeness sculptors have been Asian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jodl73 View Post
Yes like others before me have said, being an Asian has nothing to do with it. I'm Asian and I know the likeness is off. And like others have said a lot of sculptors and painters are Asian. Look at Hot Toys and Inart. Hot Toys is an Asian company. Heard of J.C. Hong?

I responded before I saw your post.
Hobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:56 AM   #152
Hobbyist
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bytor33 View Post
I?m aware there are exceptions but it is backed science. Maybe this is the reason with JND being off, maybe not, but it?s clear that they need some outside help regardless.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...r-other-races/
Beware of "Science" with a hidden agenda. Not all science is factual and correct.
Old Today, 12:06 PM   #153
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post
Simple. This is "JND's interpretation" of John Wick....or at least that's the cop out they've used in the past whenever they didn't want to do the work to make a piece screen accurate.
The word "interpretation" has been overly used as an umbrella term to explain away inferiority.

JND has paid far too much attention and emphasis on materials used and not enough on the actual likeness of the characters they produce.

Who cares about silicone, rooted hair, glass eyeballs and false teeth when the likeness is not there. Not me.

Collectors are spending the big bucks on a perfect statue of John Wick, not a perfect statue of his stunt-double.
Old Today, 12:25 PM   #154
Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
Interestingly, even the sculpts of the Korean actors that JND produced seem pretty off as well when comparing the sculpts to the real people (Kim Hye-Su as Madam Jeong and Choi Min-isk as Dae-su Oh).

They look lifelike, no doubt, but there are these alterations to aspects in the likenesses that has a similar off feeling.
That is absolutely true.

However, I love that statue. I think that is the masterpiece of JND in terms of hyper-realism despite the fact that the likeness is a little off.

I know nothing about Korean cinema and Kim Hye-Su. So, I didn't even bother to compare it to the actress. Likeness doesn't mean much to me for this piece.

To me, it is just a sculpture of an East Asian woman sitting on a table in the hyper-realistic style similar to some life-sized sculptures one sees in galleries and museums but in a small scale.

This particular statue feels more like art to me than a commercial statue by JND.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Feuerman.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	524.1 KB
ID:	170776  
Old Today, 12:57 PM   #155
Hobbyist

All of the images below are of 3D sculptures created by massively talented 3D sculptors.

The likeness of everyone of them is spot-on, IMHO. It proves that perfect human likeness is absolutely possible to achieve in the hands of great artists.

When you see a headsculpt with inferior likeness, it simply means that the sculptor responsible is not good enough and he/she just needs to spend more time on it.

Never accept the word "interpretation" as en excuse for an inferior sculpt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	anthony hopkins 2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	216.8 KB
ID:	170777   Click image for larger version

Name:	dwayne johnson.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	170778   Click image for larger version

Name:	ella purnell.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	557.0 KB
ID:	170779   Click image for larger version

Name:	jack black.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	282.9 KB
ID:	170780   Click image for larger version

Name:	jacky chan.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	395.1 KB
ID:	170781  

Old Today, 01:59 PM   #156
superdude
The X-Men

Ok now I suddenly want a 1/3 Lucy from Fallout statue.
superdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:30 PM   #157
Armored_Berserk
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

I love JND and think most of their sculpt are spot on but this one...needs clearly a re-work, the likeness is not here, the eyebrows and eyes are off.
Armored_Berserk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:58 PM   #158
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdude View Post
Ok now I suddenly want a 1/3 Lucy from Fallout statue.
Haha, that's a super impressive likeness...Ella Purnell and her beautiful eyes ❤️
IcedDog is online now   Reply With Quote