Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > What If?

Old 05-30-2009, 06:23 AM   #1
Bozman007
Doh!

What if Marvel stopped beating the "persecuted hero" cliche to death?

What would happen if Marvel decided to give up on it's insistence that heroes, by and large, are hated by society, even when they do things like save civilization? I know there's an exception or two, like the Fantastic Four who are actually loved by the average Marvel citizen, but by and large Marvel's storylines tend to center around "I'm the poor sorry mutant who everyone hates. Guess I'll save them anyway. Wah."

So if the writers decided to reboot the Marvel Universe entirely, and never again use this plot, would the stories and heroes be better or worse? Anyone have an opinion?
Bozman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
TK-421
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Then it would be the DC universe
TK-421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:50 AM   #3
Rocket
Art of Mod

I think it's a tried and tested formula that has proven to work for the likes of Spidey, The X Men, Daredevil, etc, for decades. If ain't broke why fix it?
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 11:09 AM   #4
Primal
Batman

Quite frankly it's way played out for DD for me at this point. Getting too dreary and has me thinking about dropping the book depending on how the rest of the latest story arc goes.
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:18 PM   #5
Bozman007
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-421 View Post
Then it would be the DC universe
Heh.

Not necessarily. Marvel has other unique qualities, like heroes that are generally less powerful but still have to take on crazy tough villains. The Marvelverse is a bit rougher too, vigilantes like Punisher wouldn't be allowed to fight crime in the DCU because other heroes would take him out.

Yeah, I'll admit the whole "everyone hates us" cliche can make for some decent writing at times, but I think it's just way crapped out. Marvel's gone way off the deep end with it. How dumb is the average Marvel citizen? Why are they still hating the guys that repeatedly SAVE them? Okay everyone is a misguided mutant/racist... why exactly? The chicks are hot, the guys built, and they continually save the planet from destruction. I'm inherently anti X-Man, but if I lived in the Marvel U, I wouldn't be at all. Now, if I lived in say... Gotham City, I'd be scared crapless of Batman. Look at him. He's all dark and spooky... Lots of Marvel heroes aren't even close to scary, but still can't get a break. Whiners. :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primal View Post
Quite frankly it's way played out for DD for me at this point. Getting too dreary and has me thinking about dropping the book depending on how the rest of the latest story arc goes.
Preach it, sister.
Bozman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
Teague
Iron Man

I don't think the persecution-complex thing is overplayed in the 616 except in certain situations. It's core to Spidey's character (he brings it on himself, mostly), and also to the X-Men (and they're just now returning to that aesthetic, having let it lay dormant for a long time--and some very boring stories).

I don't know--I don't see it as an issue for Marvel. I certainly don't see it as a negative, for the most part. It was fantastic for the early Thunderbolts run, for example. And it's not like DC hasn't tried to emulate it here and there; so DC has seen some positive in it, as a storytelling technique, as well.

In the end, I think it's just part of the character of the two universes; DC has always been a little more black and white, and the 616 has always dealt with shades of grey.

So far as DD goes? I've enjoyed the run, but I agree it might be nice to let Matt be happy again for a while. I miss the swashbuckling.
Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 08:36 PM   #7
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bozman007 View Post
Heh.

Not necessarily. Marvel has other unique qualities, like heroes that are generally less powerful but still have to take on crazy tough villains. The Marvelverse is a bit rougher too, vigilantes like Punisher wouldn't be allowed to fight crime in the DCU because other heroes would take him out.

Yeah, I'll admit the whole "everyone hates us" cliche can make for some decent writing at times, but I think it's just way crapped out. Marvel's gone way off the deep end with it. How dumb is the average Marvel citizen? Why are they still hating the guys that repeatedly SAVE them? Okay everyone is a misguided mutant/racist... why exactly? The chicks are hot, the guys built, and they continually save the planet from destruction. I'm inherently anti X-Man, but if I lived in the Marvel U, I wouldn't be at all. Now, if I lived in say... Gotham City, I'd be scared crapless of Batman. Look at him. He's all dark and spooky... Lots of Marvel heroes aren't even close to scary, but still can't get a break. Whiners. :P

Preach it, sister.
Therein lies the problem. The X Men are currently operating out of San Fransisco where the Mayor herself has embraced them and the majority of the population has also. The only static they are recieving in Fraction's run thus far, has come from the usual suspects; Villains, and Minority Hate Groups
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:35 AM   #8
Makkari1
Cyclops

Marvel is just paroding life where no good deed goes unpunished.
Makkari1 is offline   Reply With Quote