Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 02-02-2006, 01:21 PM   #1
bat_collector
Galactus

The Good, Bad, Ugly Reviews: Cap America, Uncanny X-men, Legion of S.H., Detective

Another solid good week of comics. While no Infinite Crisis or Deadly Genesis books came out, we did have the conclusion to one of a historical storyline.

My pick of the week is Captain America #14. Simply a great conclusion to a great storyline. No thud of the week, which is a shocker since Uncanny X-men came out. On to the reviews:

Captain America #14
The Good: Well, the climatic confrontation between the Winter Soldier and Cap finally happens. While Bucky is out for the kill, Cap is definately out to save his former partner. Can Cap save Bucky? What will happen to the cosmic cube? And just who is the russian guy talking to? All this will be answered.
As we all know, The Winter Soldier storyline is probaby the best written solo story in a while. Only Wolverine's Enemy of the State comes close. While this is a very good and satisfying conclusion to the storyline, it also leads to . . .
The Bad: Ok, the story lacked the guts to do anything original or unexpected (except for the very last page, but even that wasn't too surprising). In a storyline where the VERY unexpected happened time and again, we end it like this? While I'm sure some others will be more than pleased with the ending, it simply seemed the expected thing to do. Unfortnatley Enemy of the State/Soldier of S.H.I.E.L.D. had a much better conclusion, with Wolverine finally winning a fight he had not much of a chance of winning. Don't get me wrong, it was good. But I expected something more than this was.
The Ugly: Other than for dashed expectations, nothing ugly here. I still think Brubaker has a lot of good Cap stories to tell.

Legion of Super Heroes #14
The Good: Its amazing to think this title has been out just as long as Cap. I can best describe this as a throwback series, if you will. In an era of six issue story arcs, Legion of Super Heroes instead focuses mainly on self-contained issues, with a small back up story. Even the letters column is a comical story into itself, as two Legionaires talk and read a handful of letters. In an age where most comics can't stand on their own but must be seen as part of an arc, its is refreshing to have a title where you can at least enjoy the issue you have.
But, is it good? I would say yes. I nice, consistent series has been written so far, and you definately need to start with issue one. But I think Waid does a good job using the many, many members of the team along with developing the pretty extensive plot he had written. This issue is an "aftermath" issue, where the characters try to regroup after the last issues big battle. A new character appears, some characters try to sort out past problems, and a new plot line develops. Is Legion of Super Heroes a consistantly good read?
The Bad: But, is it one of the best reads on the market? I don't think so. Yes not every title is a While I can recommend the series, I do feel you do need to start from the beginning if you haven't done so already. That in itself may make some not want to start now. However, with a certain Kryptonian joining the series very soon, that may be a better jumping on point.
The Ugly: I still can't tell most of these guys apart. ANd Waid's dialogue tries to be too hip for its own good sometimes.

Uncanny X-men #469
The Good: Just when it seemed a lost cause that Claremont could write a decent story, he actually manages to do so with this one. In many ways, this story is an issue where both the X-men and Claremont have to deal with the new mutant world Marvel has forced on them. Sentinals, the very symbol of mutant oppression, are now their guardians. Their school is nothing more than a refugee camp. And now they are viewed more as threats to national security than heroes.
This is the issue I have been waiting for, an actual issue of the x-men dealing with the new Marvel world. Even Storm pops us to finally give us what's going on with her, other than planning her wedding I guess. While I'm still upset Claremont sidetracked post-HOM continuity with the boring Shi-Air/Marvel Girl storyline, at least this issue was good and relevant.
The Bad: Wish Bachalo's art was used here, instead of being wasted with the last three issues.
The Ugly: Actual quote from editors on the letters column: "we always knew scantily clad girls + aliens + actions = a good comic." Great, good to know good plot, dialogue, character development, and story are not necessary at all.

Detective Comics #816
The Good: The finale of the two part Zsasz storyline, where Batman must fight both the Gotham police and the Zsasz before he kills Alfred. Nothing severly noteworthy, just a good fun story (with an awesome scene where Batman backlips into the batmobile) with some good art. And after the aweful "the body" 12 part storyline, this will do.
The Bad: Nothing too important either. Definately a filler two issues until DC can reboot the series somehow.
The Ugly: Waiting for someone to finally make this title good again.

Thanks for reading. TPB to follow
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 01:23 PM   #2
bat_collector
Galactus

Thumbs up Trade Review

Justice League: A New Beginning

We can only hope that the new reboot of Justice League post-Infinite Crisis can only be half as much fun as this reboot of the Justice League post-COIE was. What do you get when you make a Justice League team lead by Batman, a very 80's Black Canary, Guy Gardener, Martian Manhunter, Mr. Miracle, Captain Marvel, Blue Beetle, and Dr. Fate? In this instance, a hilarious team adventure where the heroes spend as much time squabbling, fighting, and poking fun at each other as fighting the bad guys.

The first issue itself is worth the price of the trade, as Guy Gardener is shown rehearsing his "I'm the leader" speech as Black Canary comes in. A brawl shortly ensues between him and the rest of the league until Batman puts an end to it in his own fashion. Its the humor that definately is the trademark of this series. Not only is the dialouge funny, but the art, especially the facial expressions used, add to the humor. Sometimes its the background character you must look at that can crack you up.

The real star of the series is Guy Gardener, the team member everyone on the team loves to hate. Arrogant, out-spoken, and frustrated that he isn't the leader, Guy manages to get under everyone's skin. From sexually harrassing Black Canary to belittling Captain Marvel, Guy can alwasy be counted on saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. And his "fight" with Batman is a can't miss issue. But, then again, Batman is the other star of this series for being one of the worst leaders of a team of all time. While he may be the man with the plan, he is also just as belittling in his own right, and his jabs at Blue Beetle are especially funny.

But, this trade is also noteworthy for introducing Maxwell Lord. He pops up here as the puppetter of the Justice League, one so effective they don't even realize it half the time. While his appearance isn't as sinister as it later shows, his manipulation in OMAC isn't clearly out of character as what is shown here. It definately can be seen just how Max was using everyone from the beginning for his own end.

All in all, you must read this trade if you are a DC fan. It definately takes a very different and fresh take on the team that still is good today. You can still find it for a good price on the shelves of your lcs.
Old 02-02-2006, 01:57 PM   #3
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Bat_Collector: reading the X-Men so I don't have to.

Thanks B_C!
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:02 PM   #4
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Very nice reviews Mike.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 02:09 PM   #5
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

JLA is this art based on Ross's work Mike?
Old 02-02-2006, 02:13 PM   #6
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye
JLA is this art based on Ross's work Mike?
Oh, no this isnt the Justice Maxi-series that ross is currently doing, buddy. This is an 80's trade where the team was re-booted after Crisis on Infinite Earths. A must-read.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:17 PM   #7
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Ah sorry Mike since i don't read DC i'm always confussed. I must buy some of these Infinite trades when they come out.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:24 PM   #8
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye
Ah sorry Mike since i don't read DC i'm always confussed. I must buy some of these Infinite trades when they come out.
Dang it, I need to find a way to sneak some in with your statues I ship to you.

JDH, your too funny. Yes, I do count it as taking one for the team on that "24 seconds of torture" issue that he did, but this one was actually OK. Nowadays that's a big compilment for Claremont.
Old 02-02-2006, 03:43 PM   #9
Babytoxie
Ghost

Excellent review of Justice League: A New Beginning. Yep, this is where the whole Maxwell Lord business began... eerie. A great series, and I'm surprised that in all the time that has elapsed, only two trades have been released (with one of them currently out of print). DC, get with the program!

My favorite issues of this trade involved the Avengers analogue team The Justifiers. They actually first appeared in the early '70s (JLA #87).
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 04:28 PM   #10
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie
Excellent review of Justice League: A New Beginning. Yep, this is where the whole Maxwell Lord business began... eerie. A great series, and I'm surprised that in all the time that has elapsed, only two trades have been released (with one of them currently out of print). DC, get with the program!

My favorite issues of this trade involved the Avengers analogue team The Justifiers. They actually first appeared in the early '70s (JLA #87).
There was another trade. I figures I had to go read the rest of the series too, since I enjoyed it so much. Buy some individual issues here and there.