Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 10-18-2006, 11:40 PM   #1
bat_collector
Galactus

The Good, Bad, Ugly Reviews: Meeeessaaaaa back!

Ok, I can't go that long without writing reviews, but I must admit I probably won't be writing weekly reviews. I had to cut down my budget considerably, and Sam/WKTF will probably be reviewing everything I pick up. More importantly, I will probably only buy comics once every two weeks. Or at least that's the plan!

So, lets see how this works. 52 and X-men still has got to be reviewed for the masses, dang it!

The Massive 52 Recap! Now I'm including links to wikipedia for you to know who is who, since I've never heard of the many characters being re-introduced.

Week Twenty-Two
Its the smashing arrival of the new Super Chief! Yes, we've all been holding our breath for his return. Well, maybe not. I know what you're thinking, Apache Chief is back! Well, he isn't. This is an ex-con who inherits the power of meterorite that grant's its wearer incredible power, speed, and senses. What will this not entirely likable person do with his newfound power?

Meanwhile, Lex is determined to find out the secret identity of Supernova, and is convinced its Superman trying to ruin his life further. More frustrating, his own body fails him as he realizes he is not a suitable match for the metagene therapy he is giving away (not so) freely to the masses. Trouble is on the horizon for him, though, as a disgruntled ex-employee gets in touch with Steel to rat on Luthor and the metagene project. Finally, Dr. Magnus is one the run from the governement, but is kidnapped at the end, but ultimately falls victim to the kidnappers who have been kidnapping scientists around the world.

And don't forget the great Origin story of the Hal Jordan!

Week Twenty-Three
Dr. Magnus is taken a mysterious island where the world most evil scientists are given unlimited resournces of free reign to create all sorts of robots. Though he's really a good guy, he has no choice but to take part in these schemes.

Back at Kahndaq, Black Adam, Isis, the Question, and Renee Montoya finally find Isis's brother, Amon, and what terrible shape is he in. Captured by Whisper D'Aire and Intergang, Amon is caught trying to escape and is brutally injured to the point of paralysis by the group. Even Isis's healing powers are of no use. However, Black Adam gives him part of his own power, turning him into Osiris (and mirroring the Captain Marvel/Captain Marvel Jr origin). As a new Marvel family, the group decides they can change the world, and decide to start with CHINA????? And don't forget the great Origin of Wildcat!

Week Twenty-Four
Imagine a Justice League where Firestorm, Ambush Bug, Bulleteer, Firehawk, and Super Chief (two weeks into his debut and already a member of the JLA, wow)! Ok, probably not its strongest line-up, which is why they are desperately recruiting legitimate heroes like Green Arrow (who passed). Meanwhile, we have a touching/creepy scene where we find Martian Manhunter talks to golden statues of dead former Leaguers that he has avenged's the death of Blue Beetle by having Checkmate wiped off the face of the earth (well, too bad we already know THAT didn't last). The Black Adam Family also pays a visit the Great Ten (the mysterious Chinese super-hero team) to change the terms of the Freedom of Power Treaty he had enacted not long ago. The group is unimpressed, especially as it seems to them Adam has been to manipulated by his new bride.

Finally, the new JLA have their first battle as a mysterious portal opens bringing in Pirates and androids (not joking) upon Metropolis. Their battle is cut short when test subjects of Luthor's metagene program show up to also try to lend a hand. With such hilarious names as Dynamole, Poledancer, and E.S. Pete, you can only imagine these guys are more bothersome than helpful. Skeets shows up, and admits he opened the portal up to draw out an unknown enemy he needs to face. Since this didn't work, Skeets decides bloodshed would draw their attention and proceeds to kill most of the newly minted superheroes Lexcorp's labs has spit out. Not limiting itself to those losers, Skeets also kills Super Chief (we barely new ya!) whose soul is taken to some Native American heaven (I guess) where his meteroite necklace is taken by a Native American shaman of some kind right before he is (apprantly) taken to hell. The meteorite is given to Ralph Dibny, with the warning "magic never comes without a price." Finally, due to the terrible cost of Skeets attack on Meta-humans, Checkmate is reinstitued as a UN initiative (poor J'onn), and its learned Amanda Waller is using Atom Smasher to plan an attack on Black Adam! All this and a great Origin of the now dead Booster Gold!

Civil War: X-men #4
The Good: I know what you're thinking. You think I'm gonna say the good is that this series is over! After all, I canned all three previous issues, why not make it four for four! I can safely say that #4 is the best issue of the series, and really has a race against the clock feeling to it.

To recap, thanks to a mutant hating General names Lazer, half the remaining mutant population on earth are trapped in an impenetrable bunker designed by Tony Stark with a bomb set to go off on it. Just like that those pesky mutants can finaly be trimmed down to 99 (from 198). The race against the clock to save them actually makes for a compelling read, and features a great scene where Val Cooper does her best Jack Bauer imitation and torturnes Lazer to try to get information form him (note, don't get on her bad side, ever!). It also finally shows Ms. Marvel and Iron Man in a good light (not seen since Civil War began), and sets up Val and Bishop for what could be interesting roles post civil war. While I hated the first three issues, I loved this one!
The Bad: The whole series was no-where near this good.
The Ugly: With Wolverine showing what side he is on in his own title, and the X-men firmly against registration, where do they go from here? Hopefully we get a good answer.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 12:10 AM   #2
bat_collector
Galactus

Trade Review: Fables Volume 1

Fables Vol 1: Legends in Exile
Writer: Bill Willingham
Artist: Lan Medina

So, how good can a story about exiled fairy tale characters be? Answer: In the very capable hands of Willingham, pretty damn good!

Where do I begin with this series? The story revolves around fairy tale characters who've been residing in a secret community in both upstate New York as well as New York City. They've all had to flee their homelands, as a deadly menace known only as The Adversary slowly but surely conquered every fairy tale land, wiping out most of each land's inhabitants. Earth is the last realm left, and seemingly not wanted by the Adversary. Here they have lived for a few hundred years, looking forward to the time where they might be able to return (though actively doing nothing to further that goal).

Some have lost their fortunes, others found a way to retain them, while some have had to resort to magic to make their appearance acceptable to the "mundanes" (normal people) surrounding them. That is definately part of the charm of Fables, the way Willingham uses the character we know so well and make them funny and fresh. Prince Charming, for instance, was married to both Cinderella and Snow White, and is depolorably chauvanistic with all women he meets. Its wonderful to see just how Willingham introduces each character to us, acting entirely contrary to what we would expect.

But this particualr arc focuses more on the grizzly murder of Rose Red, Snow White's sister. Its a mystery that threatens to tear Fabletown apart, and Snow White and the Big Bad Wolf (Bigby) race to solve it before more trouble brews. The detective work proves to be a great way to introducd the reader into this brand new comic world, and definately makes you interested enough to read the next few volumes (as it has me). I can't wait to continue this journey through Fabletown, and get to that HC released by Vertigo this week with the origins of many of these characters.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:07 AM   #3
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Oh man, it's another of those 'I quit' forum threads followed five days later by a return...

Just kidding, B_C

From memory the second Fables story is a bit disappointing when compared to the first, but don't be put off, it gets great again.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 07:53 AM   #4
Ish
Kindly Asked To Leave

i knew you were too much of a geek to stop is good that you didn't
Ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:44 AM   #5
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh.goodgrief View Post
Oh man, it's another of those 'I quit' forum threads followed five days later by a return...

Just kidding, B_C
Great minds think alike, jdh!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:13 AM   #6
Aarrgghh!!
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Welcome back BC, we missed ya. I'm a bit behind on my books, while I did read Authority, WildCATS and Spider-Girl, I'm 3 weeks behind on 52.
Aarrgghh!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:22 AM   #7
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
Oh man, it's another of those 'I quit' forum threads followed five days later by a return... .
I had to do something to bump up my post count for my inevitable COUNTDOWN TO 10,000 posts thread!

Ish, of course I'm a geek. I'm not in denial like you and Miamiloco.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:23 AM   #8
Primal
Batman

Quote:
Too true.
Primal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:35 AM   #9
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat_collector View Post
I had to do something to bump up my post count for my inevitable COUNTDOWN TO 10,000 posts thread!

Ish, of course I'm a geek. I'm not in denial like you and Miamiloco.
You need to start your own clique.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 09:38 AM   #10
bat_collector
Galactus

Quote:
You need to start your own clique.
I'm in a group already, and you're part of it.

MOD POWER!