Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 08-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #1
Liad
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

First time painting, having some issues

Hey, I bought a resin kit and figured i'd paint her up.Seeing as there's NO hobby store or anyone in this country with the remotest idea what 'primer' or 'figure painting' is, I've been having some troubles.

I bought something I figured was primer, it just says spray paint on the box (NOONE in 7 stores had the wildest idea what 'primer' could possibly be), and after I cleaned up my resin kit I basecoated the main body with 'primer'. let it sit for a good day,then I decided to paint the leather straps on the boots. after 5 vertical strokes, this is the result (sorry for the bad picture):

Did I completely screw up when buying 'primer' and paints, or am I just THAT bad of a painter ? I get that it's my first time, but this just seems completely wrong. The paint just keep slipping off, it's like trying to mix water and oil. I have watched alot of tutorials with people painting with brushes, and their paint actually sticks. They get some brush strokes now and then, but it's atleast a complete layer of paint, not just smudges here and there.

After this catastrophe, I decided to try the paint on an unprimed piece of resin kit - Same result, just keeps slipping off (I quickly removed the acryllic paint from the kit by washing it off). The paint just keeps clumping up, and I've tried reducing the paint on the brush, aswell as the pressure I use when applying paint.

Can someone please just give me a link to a primer I can buy, and possibly some paint sets? I am completely lost here, and if what I did is correct and it infact IS supposed to look like that when you paint sloppily, then i'm just gonna leave it up to the professionals.

I was totally looking forward to painting this entire week, and this was just depressing (sorry for the long text, but I had to post this somewhere).
Liad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #2
riteguytu
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Hi Liad,

There could be a number of things wrong:

- Did you wash the kit before working on it? Often mold release will still be on a kit and if it isn't washed off, no paint will stick to the kit
- Are you sure what you primed with is primer? Depending on what it is, acrylic paint may not be able to stick to it. Best thing to do is look for an automotive store and buy car paint primer. That's what I use and it works fine.
- What brand of acrylic paints are you using?
riteguytu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:47 PM   #3
Liad

-I did wash the kit before working on it, however this Kit is years old ( I bought it off a guy who bought it back in '10 or smth ), so I don't know if that would still be the case. Do note that I have some old warhammer 40k figures that I tried the exact same procedure with, and I still got the same results.

- I'm pretty sure it's NOT. the paint shop just said 'here, this is close enough' and if I translate what it says on the box, it just says 'spray paint' , not primer.
- I am using PanduroHobby HobbyLack paints (it says acrylic paint on the side of the box). it's a generic brand I found in a store here in Norway. This is what their site says:

Quote:
Hobbylack is an acid-free, water-based, semi-gloss acrylic paint for indoor use with excellent coverage, suitable for most surfaces
Everything related to 'hobby' in Norway is either for working with Dolls or knitting, so there's noone who has any idea what i'm talking about. I guess i'm gonna have to buy proper primer, but how do I remove the basecoat and the paint i've already done?
Old 08-16-2013, 02:50 PM   #4
Jesse321
Galactus

Do you have Easy-Off Oven Cleaner in Norway?
Jesse321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
Liad

Yeah, it's probably out there somewhere
Old 08-16-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Is that black paint the primer? cause its shinny as hell to be primer.

If its enamel paint (which it looks like a gloss enamel) acrylics paints wont go on smooth, they tend to bleed off. To much of a reaction for the paint to stick between enamels and acrylics.

Dont you have a car auto parts store, or any kind of home depot type store? they always have primers and says primer on the cans.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
Liad

Yes it's gloss enamel actually, says so on the box . There is a car auto parts store here, so i'll have to check in with those on monday.

Thanks for clearing up this stuff, and I hope I can get all this crap cleaned off so I can get a fresh start. what a mess
Old 08-23-2013, 06:04 AM   #8
Liad

I bought primer from a store and primed one of the left hands with it . Tried painting it now, and the paint sticks properly. It's so much fun to paint when it actually works like it's supposed to Thanks for the help guys!
Old 08-23-2013, 03:47 PM   #9
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

good glad it worked out, just one of those things that you have to learn, i did it when i first painted, used enamels and acrylics and made a mess lol
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote