Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 06-09-2012, 04:58 AM   #1
projectjordan
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

mould release spray

hi all

does anyone know if a silicone dashboard spray, would be a suitable alternative to a silicone release spray?

(i am aware the mould would smell of citrus fruits lol)

also what do you use to 'degrease' the cast after removal?

many thanks

ryan
projectjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #2
Astounding
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I'd like to hear what others have to say about this as well.

I've had problems many times with stubborn silicone causing paint adhesion issues, especially when I need to mask over the first color sprayed. I never have confidence in any clean-up, no matter how thorough. I've even worked with parts where the entire surface was not only de-greased, but sanded thoroughly and still had problems. My theory is that the release agent blends with the liquid resin so once it sets it's present within the material itself and not just on the surface. I know people who have used baby powder as a release, but have never tried it myself. I don't think it's as good a release, but a non-silicone release would seem to be the best when it comes to painting. Using silicone is a "Catch 22" - The quality that makes it a great release agent is the the same quality that makes it a painter's bane. Silicone has such a low electrical charge that nothing wants to stick to it, but the problem is,... NOTHING wants to stick to it, or remove it.

So, I'd like to hear everyone's favorite clean-up technique as well, since I've never been satisfied with anything I've found.

I'm sorry, I don't know how well dashboard spray would work.
Astounding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
projectjordan
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astounding View Post
...I've had problems many times with stubborn silicone causing paint adhesion issues,... Using silicone is a "Catch 22" - The quality that makes it a great release agent is the the same quality that makes it a painter's bane...
I spent the last 7 years as an auto sprayer, and as you say silicone is their worst nightmare. Fortunately I'm no longer in the trade so i can safely use silicone at home, without it worrying that it may affect my work, even silicone wrist bands were banned from the workshops!

In the paintshops we used a silicone degreaser to wipe down cars prior to painting, I'm considering using this on the casts, but i am not sure of its compatibility with the casting resins.

As far as my dashboard silicone spray question, I waited and purchased some actual mold release spray, i guess i was just being impatient...
projectjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 11:26 PM   #4
Astounding
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I used to work for a major toy company, and still paint prototypes today independently. You are right, the stuff is a nightmare. The casting department sprayed the stuff all day. Every part we received for paint came coated in it, and I can feel it in anything I handle that I am sent now. I'd avoid it if I could, but I usually can't.
Astounding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #5
beaker
Doh!

Ryan,
What is your mould material? What type of resin? This can help determine what release to use... here are some helpful tips:
http://www.smooth-on.com/Casting-Rel...ing/pages.html
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:07 PM   #6
Tangyson
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Hey Beaker on a previous thread you said that baby powder would work as a realease. Does this work?? Just baby powder and nothing else?? Ohh.. just read the link you posted. Got some great info thanks!
Tangyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 03:27 PM   #7
beaker
Doh!

Baby powder is not a release! It causes a capillary action on the surface of a mold allowing the resin to wet out over the surface better... baby powder also helps to some degree better paint adhesion... the post you commented on was assuming no mold release used as it isn't necessary with silicone molds (but does help prolong the life of the mold if used)
beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #8
Tangyson
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Thanks!
Tangyson is offline   Reply With Quote