Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

View Poll Results: Should SSC manufacture there statues other then China to keep cost dow?
Yes - Price is getting too high. I fear for this hobby as I can no longer afford it anymore. 62 88.57%
No - Why change? People don't care where's it is made. 8 11.43%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-07-2015, 04:22 PM   #1
VS1976
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Should SSC produce there statues other then China so cost will go down?

This was brought up in another thread so I might as post it here. We all know the cost of goods on China has gone up significantly. Just look at the PFs. The price incease has increased more then the inflation rate each year. The average inflation rate is about 3% increase each year. SSC is almost 15%. In the last 2 years, Premium Format prices went from $350 > $380 > $400 > $430 and now $470. Who knows what it will be in another few years.

I think with economic uncertainties, China is no longer viable. I believe SSC should look across there borders and go to Mexico. If not Vietnam would be the next option. They are considered the cheapest asian manufacturers now. Pakistan or India are also good alternatives.

Just created poll. Missing couple letters. Should had proof read it but too lazy to lol

Even Hasbro has stopped making there toys produced and made in China. There Transformers line is now made in Vietnam.

I highly suggest SSC make the change soon. If they don't, they are going to be in trouble. Nobody or a very small market will pay for statues over $500. Factoring QC issues, it's best SSC move to another country that can produce these collectibles at a lower cost. Prices need to come down soon.
VS1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:58 PM   #2
thecollector80
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

i think part of the cost increase is because statues produced now are more complex in design and paint apps. like for instance the new ssc wonder woman PF has a large base with more details on the base. compare this to the ms marvel PF base released years ago that only had an "A" sculpted on the base. i think that piece sold retail for around $300? the WW PF retail is $400. so $100 more for a PF now due to design complexity. i think customers now demand more complex designs and so the natural increase in cost. also i think companies also raise their design complexities as a way to compete with each other in order to give customers better choices of their favorite characters.

as far as opting out for a different country of manufacture, i think china is still the better option because the infrastructure and experience is already there.
thecollector80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 04:59 PM   #3
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

China is still the lesser evil when it comes to cost plus the talent needed to produce these intricate collectibles. That's why all these collectible companies still use China. If they could have moved on to somewhere cheaper for production that still remained high quality they would have done so long ago.

Prices will continue to climb, but people won't flat out quit. They'll just buy less. We are already seeing this stance from many long term collectors here and in other forums.
SolidLiquidFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:10 PM   #4
Atheris
The Maxx

Or......collectors could just buy other companies products with far better quality for less money. Why must SS be the ONLY option?

If I owned SS and saw the walls closing in with no viable alternative, I'd simply downsize or close shop. What makes you think SS as a business care about collectors feelings or what state they're leaving people's collections in? They're looking out for their own interests and survival.

Chris
Atheris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:17 PM   #5
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS1976 View Post
This was brought up in another thread so I might as post it here.
Where was this topic talked about?

And it should never be about cheaper prices because the price of labor will almost always go up. Especially when you are seemingly asking for high quality at low prices. Eventually the people working on the item get wise or say enough is enough.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:24 PM   #6
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheris View Post
Or......collectors could just buy other companies products with far better quality for less money. Why must SS be the ONLY option?

If I owned SS and saw the walls closing in with no viable alternative, I'd simply downsize or close shop. What makes you think SS as a business care about collectors feelings or what state they're leaving people's collections in? They're looking out for their own interests and survival.

Chris
How about some partiality here. This is a thread about SS not other companies.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:27 PM   #7
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Some options could include Vietnam, Philipeans, Taiwan, Thailand or even India. But at the end of the day it's still cheap labour. Maybe a new model is require where higher wages are paid and better quality guaranteed. Would you be prepared to pay more?
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:28 PM   #8
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecollector80 View Post
i think part of the cost increase is because statues produced now are more complex in design and paint apps. like for instance the new ssc wonder woman PF has a large base with more details on the base. compare this to the ms marvel PF base released years ago that only had an "A" sculpted on the base. i think that piece sold retail for around $300? the WW PF retail is $400. so $100 more for a PF now due to design complexity. i think customers now demand more complex designs and so the natural increase in cost. also i think companies also raise their design complexities as a way to compete with each other in order to give customers better choices of their favorite characters.
as far as opting out for a different country of manufacture, i think china is still the better option because the infrastructure and experience is already there.
There doom in a chair was 325$ was complex and heavier than wonder woman pf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atheris View Post

Chris
They are the only U.S option if your into 1/4 DC and marvel. Imo they also have the best sculptors.
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:36 PM   #9
crimsinwing1989
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Some options could include Vietnam, Philipeans, Taiwan, Thailand or even India. But at the end of the day it's still cheap labour. Maybe a new model is require where higher wages are paid and better quality guaranteed. Would you be prepared to pay more?
I would, but SS is rather 'mass' market now quality isn't much of a concern to them as quantity is.
crimsinwing1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 05:36 PM   #10
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Maybe a new model is require where higher wages are paid and better quality guaranteed. Would you be prepared to pay more?
We are already doing 1 of those 3 for sure...
SolidLiquidFox is offline   Reply With Quote