Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 02-11-2011, 01:26 PM   #1
ramtin-s
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Question pasta machiene questions

Hi everyone! I've seen alot of sculptors talk about using a pasta machiene to mix together ss with ss firm..how is this done!?..I've looked at pasta machiene's in shops, but they make strips of clay like spaghetti..how are you supposed to mix them together like that?

Can someone please tell me how this is done exactly?

I was also wondering how you can get very flat sheets of clay? is that also possible with the pastamachiene? without making supersculpey spaghetti??..cause when I use a pasta roller it tends to stick on the roller..

Thanks in advance!!
ramtin-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 01:28 AM   #2
Voshizle@gmail.
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

If you run the two types of sculpey through a few times it mixes it. Look at Michaels craft store, they have pasta machines right next to the sculpey that rolls it out in sheets.
Voshizle@gmail. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 10:27 AM   #3
DarkKni9hT
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

I find it much easier, and less expensive, to simply take small bits of the two Sculpeys and mix them together with my fingers. I just cut up batches into little cubes and grab one and mix it when I'm out. I can't see the justification for spending the money on a machine that, quite honestly, won't save much time. The other benefit to hand mixing is that it warms the Sculpey, making it easier to use and also strengthens the forearms.
DarkKni9hT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:22 PM   #4
Tombo
Frackin!

The part of the pasta machine that you want to use is just the sheeting part. If you get one from Michaels or Joann etc.. that is the only part they will have. The spaghetti part is an attachment that you don't need. You just slice bits off the block of clay a little thicker than the setting on the machine and run it through. Then double it up and run it through again. Eventually you wind up with sheets. This is useful for more than simply mixing clay. It is useful for making uniform sheets for costuming, capes, etc. also when combined with a small cookie cutter or like item you can know that the amount of clay for both ears, hands, feet, etc. and so forth is pretty much exact. I understand the desire to save money and do it in your hands... but if you are doing a lot of stuff the time saving and stress on your hands saving is well worth the price of a cheapo machine from the craft store. I recommend the Sculpey machine over the Amaco or store brands (nicole, darice, etc.)

Some tips:

Don't be afraid to take it out of the box at the store. The quality control is not great and just put the handle in and make sure it rolls smoothly and both rollers are turning.

When you do mixing or softening of the clay use the 2nd thickest setting as opposed to the thickest. The gears will be a little more engaged and it will prolong the life of the machine.

Don't try to force a really thick piece through. Ideally the clay being ran through the machine should be no more than double the thickness of the the setting on the machine.

Wait for a 40 or 50 percent off coupon. Sign up for emails from Michaels, JoAnn, A.C. Moore, etc. and they will send these to you, or check your paper on the day the sales circulars come out. Most of them also will honor the other stores coupons.

Trust me, if you do a lot of mixing and conditioning, or want equal proportions, or are doing costuming... a pasta machine will save your time, hands, and sanity.

Tombo
The Ultimate Sculpting Tool Page

Last edited by Tombo; 02-17-2011 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Added a hint
Tombo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #5
cyborgt800
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Pasta machines

I don't recommend the pasta machine sold at Michaels or Hobby Lobby.... I broke mine in two days.....I bought a real pasta machine at a discount cooking store for $24.00 that has a wider mouth, more settings and is much sturdier.
cyborgt800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:35 AM   #6
Tombo
Frackin!

True, if you can get a real pasta machine like an atlas or something for a good price, that is certainly the way to go. We have an industrial clay sheeting machine, because we do so much production work and stuff for classes and the jewelry and bead shows. We actually used to go through four or five of the high end pasta machines every year in addition to a couple of motors or more. But for an occasional user who follows the guidelines I suggested in my post, there is no reason a Sculpey brand machine machine wouldn't service their needs just fine. Again the Amaco machines are inferior to the Sculpey ones, and the Nicole and Darice machines and any other store brand ones are pretty much doorstops from the get go.

Tombo
The Ultimate Sculpting Tool Page
Old 02-21-2011, 07:31 PM   #7
ramtin-s
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

thanks alot for the detailed advice tombo! and ofcourse everyone else!

since I live in the netherlands and supersculpey and supersculpey stuff isn't sold in caft stores (only one store I know where it's available)..I bought a real pasta machine, but I haven't been able to try it out yet. I'll definitely let you know how it went.

@ TOMBO: I also found this tutorial, but it contradicts some of your instructions:

ramtin-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 12:09 PM   #8
Spazzy
Hercules

that was great thanks for the tutorial!
Spazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #9
Tombo
Frackin!

Well, I am sure there are other ways to do it. I am only giving my and my partners experience. We have been at it a while. A LOT of people will tell you to use the largest setting on the pasta machine. It will work, but it will shorten the life of the machine. You see the way the gear mechanism is set up, the gears have to move in and out. They move further in as the settings get thinner. They move further out as the settings get thicker. At the thickest setting, the gears are barely engaged. An undue amount of pressure can cause gear slippage which will usually kill the machine. As far as making piles of spaghetti noodles with that attachment... well to each their own, but I find that the clay gets stuck, and it is a much greater hassle to get that big lump of shreds back into a sheet than to get slices into a sheet. Also there is no reason to go to all that work and then still mix it all up by hand, you can fully mix the clay by running through the pasta machine, fold the sheet, run it through, fold the sheet... etc. Oh and to avoid air bubbles always put the folded sheet through with the folded end into the machine. Again, people are always free to do how they feel is best, I am just speaking from my experience.

Tombo

Last edited by Tombo; 03-03-2011 at 05:09 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 03-03-2011, 11:42 PM   #10
Spazzy
Hercules

Thanks TOmbo, I am looking forward to buying my first machine soon! A whole new world of art I haven't really explored yet.
Spazzy is offline   Reply With Quote