Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 02-06-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
Black Cat
Thunderstrike

question for all the creative people here...

I need to make a hemoglobin molecule and present it in a week and I'm having a hard time deciding on what to use. I thought of some things but don't really want it to be cheesy so any suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated lol. Here is the image I am going by

Black Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:37 AM   #2
Babytoxie
Ghost

Questions:

1. This needs to be a model (3-D)?
2. What is this for? Work, a class, or something else?
3. Do you want to use basic inexpensive items, or more "professional" items? There are plenty of molecular model kits out there.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:53 AM   #3
riderV3
ROT Minister of Scientific Emergency Management

The picture you provided is only a heme molecule, a functional group that imbeds inside a hemoglobin.

A typicall hemoglobin would have 4 heme molecules and each imbeds inside a secondary structure: 2 alpha helices and 2 beta sheets in a 2-fold symmatry arrangement.

So if you're trying to present a "hemoglobin" the image you're going by isn't going to work.
riderV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:18 AM   #4
riderV3
ROT Minister of Scientific Emergency Management

You can google and download a molecular visualization software called RasMol(or RasTop, essentially they're the same thing), I used it often as it's quite good and best of all, free.

I just found the file number for hemoglobin, google Protein Data Bank and search 1C7D.
There's a download option by the 1C7D number and you can download the PDB(text) file and load it with RasMol (as you would load a song, File--Open--and choose the 1C7D file...you know the drill).

It not only shows you an accurate 3-D structure of the hemoglobin but you can also rotate it 360 and choose differnt display options(sticks, balls etc...) that would be a tremendous help if you want to make a model using bendy wires.

OR you can just take the whole RasMol software with you in a USB drive since it's only about 3MB plus hemoglobin file around 400KB and doesn't require installation, just click the .exe and you can drag and turn that hemoglobin like you're the boss.
riderV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:11 AM   #5
carrillj
What's another word for Thesaurus?

I don't know what a hemoglobin is, but I have a Demogoblin I can let you have if it helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	demogoblin.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	12.7 KB
ID:	61407  
carrillj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:49 AM   #6
Kingofthehill78
King Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Cat View Post
I need to make a hemoglobin molecule and present it in a week and I'm having a hard time deciding on what to use. I thought of some things but don't really want it to be cheesy so any suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated lol. Here is the image I am going by

Kingofthehill78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:02 AM   #7
derekrodneysim
Giganta

Location: In a country where inequality, oppression, corruption & racism reigns supreme
Quote:
Originally Posted by riderV3 View Post
The picture you provided is only a heme molecule, a functional group that imbeds inside a hemoglobin.

A typicall hemoglobin would have 4 heme molecules and each imbeds inside a secondary structure: 2 alpha helices and 2 beta sheets in a 2-fold symmatry arrangement.

So if you're trying to present a "hemoglobin" the image you're going by isn't going to work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by riderV3 View Post
You can google and download a molecular visualization software called RasMol(or RasTop, essentially they're the same thing), I used it often as it's quite good and best of all, free.

I just found the file number for hemoglobin, google Protein Data Bank and search 1C7D.
There's a download option by the 1C7D number and you can download the PDB(text) file and load it with RasMol (as you would load a song, File--Open--and choose the 1C7D file...you know the drill).

It not only shows you an accurate 3-D structure of the hemoglobin but you can also rotate it 360 and choose differnt display options(sticks, balls etc...) that would be a tremendous help if you want to make a model using bendy wires.

OR you can just take the whole RasMol software with you in a USB drive since it's only about 3MB plus hemoglobin file around 400KB and doesn't require installation, just click the .exe and you can drag and turn that hemoglobin like you're the boss.
DAMMIT, rider! Are you trying to make us here feel dumb, cos you're damn good at it too, son!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrillj View Post
I don't know what a hemoglobin is, but I have a Demogoblin I can let you have if it helps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill78 View Post

derekrodneysim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:01 PM   #8
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingofthehill78 View Post
rofl
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #9
rychehitman
Galactus

BC, are you using straws, or toothpics to build this?
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:41 PM   #10
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman View Post
BC, are you using straws, or toothpics to build this?
More importantly, has Nat traded in her leather bodysuit for a lab coat?

.. and if so, does she at least "go commando" underneath it?
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote