Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > Statue Reviews

Old 06-29-2014, 07:11 PM   #1
Sithlord32
New Republic

Dark Rider of Mordor ~ Sideshow Collectibles

Nine rings he gave to mortal men, proud and great Kings of men and so ensnared them. Long ago they fell under the domination of the One ring, and they became Ringwraiths, the Nazgul shadows under his great Shadow, his most terrible servants, the Dark riders of Mordor.

In 2012 Sideshow served up this menacing premium format figure to satisfy fans of J.R.R.Tolkiens fantasy adventure book trilogy The Lord of the Rings. It has been a piece long time coming for myself. As a fan of the series of books, films and of most things dark and sinister I couldn't wait till I could have this on display in my home. Lets see how anticipation stacked up with the actual product.

**Note**-These pictures were taken straight out of the box so the cloak and hood are showing more wrinkles than they normally would if they had ample time to straighten out. Also I was not able to secure the swords to the figure as shown in the instructions as it had some QC issues explained in the below sections.-

Product Details
Title: Dark Rider of Mordor
License: The Lord of the Rings
ES/EX (edition size): LE (exclusive edition size): 500
Scale: 1:4
Composition: Premium format
Dimensions: 31" H (787.4mm) x 14" W (355.6mm) x 12" D (304.8mm)
Product Weight: 23.00 lbs (10.43 kg)
Manufacturer: Sideshow Collectibles
MSRP (USD): $799.99 (EX) $799.99 (REG)
Design: Tom Gilliland, Pablo Viggiano
Sculpt: Pablo Viggiano, Michael Norman
Paint: Heath Hammond
Costume Fabrication: Kevin Ellis, Tim Hanson

This statue really brings to the table conceptually anything one could hope for in a presentation of the character as a premium format figure. Its really two statues in one as the steed deserves as much attention as does the rider. This really could have just about made the LSF line as its quite large but in scale with the rider it does fit in the PF or 1:4 scale.

Sithlord32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:12 PM   #2
Sithlord32
New Republic

Summary

Sculpt: 10
As far as the sculpt goes this is really amazing. All the detail on the rider and his accessories are polished down to the buckles on the straps and engraving on his sword and sheath. The horse is just a work of art on its own. So much detail that a lot of it actually gets hidden by the rider which is kind of a shame. From the saddle to the bridle its easy to get lost in the exquisite detail. The exclusive included a switch out left hand with a sword that changes the dynamic some and adds to the imposing feel of the statue.

Paint & Mixed Media: 9.0
The mixed media is done very well. although it takes some patience to get it into place so it sits just so it correctly resembles the Nazguls garb in every fold and flap. The intricacy of some of the parts for assembly is a bit daunting and does require the before mentioned patience.

The paint app in colors and feel is very well done. The armor has a very realistic feel to it in tone and contrast. The horse I thought could have used a little more shadowing but nothing to complain about.
The blood, teeth and eyes of the horse have a gloss coating on them it gives great contrast from the flat paint of the rest of the horse which really adds to the effect. The base has a bit too much glaze i find it distracting.It could have used a larger color pallet as it just blends in with the horse a little too much. Some browns to give it more of a earthy feel could have greatly improved upon it with little effort.

Design: 10
The design of the statue is fantastic. The rearing steed and cloaked rider come to life in an surpassed expectation in representation of the character. Though made hollow to make it lighter I dont believe it has any fault in initial design but does so in the following category.

Production & Build Quality: 2.5
Here is where this piece falls apart. It had to be a hairy task in design of this but its not the design that falls short its the build quality that renders this piece of art subpar.
Id like to say beforehand I believe the one I received was a returned item as I will explain.
First the mixed media in terms of the leather straps that hold the sword to the figure are extremely fragile as they are glued together as are some of the tiny parts adhered to them. I do not know for sure if mine was a return but some of the straps were already unglued and missing one of the buckles on the end of the straps. This is either from prior assembly by someone of a major lack of QC.
Secondly the insertion of the tail into the horse was completely loose. I had to hold the tail on as i placed the horse into the base. Again I do not know if this was from prior assembly or a factory flaw. I believe it could be both as it should fit somewhat snug but was completely loose.
Thirdly and most upsetting is the balance of the horse on the base. This issue seems to be had by quite a few people who own this statue so its hit and miss because there are people who have it whom do not have this leaning issue. The problem lies with the tripod of attachment to the base. The two hooves have pegs and the tail has its own slot. People complained about after it being displayed only for a short time that from not resting properly in the base it creates stress cracks in the legs.
This issue is why I believe mine was a returned item as the stress cracks were already there upon initial set up. The right hoof peg did not insert all the way into the base which would cause it to lean. When I held it up as it should be sitting the peg of the tail did not sit flush or snug as it should. Either the peg needed to be larger or the hole deeper to accommodate this issue. The placement of the right hoof was also flawed in such that it only offered minor support when the peg should have fit snugly enough to give its needed percentage of support to distribute the weight properly as not to cause the stress cracks.
This is a major problem with this piece and cannot be over looked. I called before PO this and addressed this issue and was assured it was not a problem but the statue itself tells a different story. This seriously needed to be addressed and seems it didnt get the proper attention it needed.
This is hard to grade as the rest of the statue has so much effort put into it in design and paint that such effort is being swept aside by production and QC.

OVERALL: 7.5

I have since returned mine and as much as i wanted to just have it replaced as this would the pride and joy of my entire collection I couldn't warrant the cost vs having this issue coming up again after having it displayed. There are some people lucky enough to have ones that work as they should so its hit or miss. If you want to gamble or can fix the issues yourself id say go for it you wont be disappointed with the statue itself but thats outside my range of expertise so sadly Ill have to do without this in my collection.
Old 06-29-2014, 08:34 PM   #3
Dark Shadow
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Wooow what a great review and fantastic pictures.
Thanks so much for your effort to share this all with us Sithlord32.

I want this PF for such a long time but I really have second thoughts of buying it due to the fragile legs because I heard it so many times about this damn problem.

Regards.

D.S
Dark Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:09 PM   #4
Doctor Doom
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Thanks for the honest and detailed review Sith....certainly helped me finally make up my mind on this piece.
Doctor Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:57 PM   #5
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Amazing review and fabulous pictures, SithLord! I tip my hat off to your reviewings skill and your honesty. Bravo!! Outstanding job!
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 09:12 PM   #6
Sithlord32
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Shadow View Post
Wooow what a great review and fantastic pictures.
Thanks so much for your effort to share this all with us Sithlord32.

I want this PF for such a long time but I really have second thoughts of buying it due to the fragile legs because I heard it so many times about this damn problem.

Regards.

D.S
Yeah me too. i held off for a while hoping the issue would be corrected but it still seems to be present in some of them. Thanks for checking out the review and im glad it helped you in your endeavor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Doom View Post
Thanks for the honest and detailed review Sith....certainly helped me finally make up my mind on this piece.
Your welcome DD glad It could be of assistance to you and save you any possible disappointment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsarri View Post
Amazing review and fabulous pictures, SithLord! I tip my hat off to your reviewings skill and your honesty. Bravo!! Outstanding job!
Thanks JP! Always great to hear some praise and know the review was used to its full extent by collectors.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:49 AM   #7
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Excellent review! Thanks.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:52 AM   #8
Sithlord32
New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post