Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 01-01-2009, 10:11 PM   #1
nanokiller
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Primer and Alclad Chrome

Do I have to prime a kit with a gray primer and then the gloss black primer and then hit it with the chrome, or do I just have to paint the kit with the gloss black primer and then go with the chrome, skipping the gray primer?
nanokiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 08:00 AM   #2
jsoex
Justice League

In general, it's always a good idea to use primer because paint sticks to primer better than it sticks to resin/vinyl/whatever. Without primer, the paint will flake off sooner than if you were to use primer. Paint without primer may stay on for 5-10 years, but then it'll start to flake off. Note: Some paints without primer may last 30 years before they flake off - it varies how long paint will stick due to different paint brands, surfaces, conditions (exposure to sun, rain), etc.

You can use Krylon Fusion paint, which doesn't require primer (it says so on the spray can) because it really bonds/adheres to the surface. Danno recommended it when using Alclad in one of his posts - it's a great paint because it sprays smooth and it sticks like glue. I use Fusion black all the time when using Alclad.

But even with Fusion as an undercoat for Alclad, I *still* use primer. The reason is because with Alclad, you *need* the surface to be smooth in order for Alclad to give off a nice chrome look. I'd read posts saying that the surface needed to be smooth, but I disregarded them, only to see how poor Alclad looks on surfaces with small imperfections. So now, I always make sure the surface is smooth. With primer, you can see all the imperfections, sand them smooth, recoat with a light mist of primer, spray with Fusion, then airbrush it with Alclad chrome.

You may even be able to use black primer as an undercoat for Alclad, which will allow you to skip a step (black paint). I have yet to try it but I'm sure it'd work.

Good luck!
jsoex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:00 AM   #3
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Duplicolor Filller primer works wonders to really smooth out the statue. I use it on my kits and customs all the time to really fill in those scratches and areas that could be missed before painting. Then once i am done with the filler primer, i use a regular primer coat before painting.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 03:53 PM   #4
nanokiller

Thanks guy's. I was asking because i was practicing painting with alclad on a 12 inch Art S. Buck i had lying around. I did not prime it, just sprayed the gloss black and then the chrome, then i sprayed some future floor wax, but the paint gets scratched so easily even with the floor wax. I hope the primer will help with this problem since I got a silver surfer kit coming my way that i am planning to paint myself
Old 01-02-2009, 08:47 PM   #5
jsoex
Justice League

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanokiller View Post
I did not prime it, just sprayed the gloss black and then the chrome, then i sprayed some future floor wax, but the paint gets scratched so easily even with the floor wax. I hope the primer will help with this problem
Unfortunately, Alclad tends to scratch/scuff easily - but I think most other chrome paints do as well. True (electroplated) chrome is very durable.

Alclad is my favorite chrome paint because it's inexpensive ($8 per bottle), easy to use and it looks better than any other chrome paint that I've tried. Granted, I've only tried 5-10 cheap chrome spray paints from Michael's and Home Depot. I haven't tried MirraChrome because it's more expensive ($80 srp for a 4 oz. bottle) and it looks about the same as Alclad chrome, based on comparison pictures that I've seen. I'm satisfied with Alclad and I'm too cheap to pay $80 for bottle of MirraChrome.

Personally, I don't seal Alclad chrome with Future Floor Wax or any other sealer because it tends to dull the chrome (at least in my experience). I prefer the chrome to look as shiney as possible. I don't handle my statue/kit much and I keep it in a display cabinet. I've been using Alclad for several years and I haven't found a need to seal it.
jsoex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:53 AM   #6
metalsquid
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanokiller View Post
Thanks guy's. I was asking because i was practicing painting with alclad on a 12 inch Art S. Buck i had lying around. I did not prime it, just sprayed the gloss black and then the chrome, then i sprayed some future floor wax, but the paint gets scratched so easily even with the floor wax. I hope the primer will help with this problem since I got a silver surfer kit coming my way that i am planning to paint myself
ooh, is it the old Toybiz one? i just got one and can't wait to do it up!
metalsquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:19 PM   #7
nanokiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsquid View Post
ooh, is it the old Toybiz one? i just got one and can't wait to do it up!
No. It's a big 18 inch silver surfer made by a guy from the Philippines. http://statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=81322

I already have one in chrome, i just want to paint one myself