Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 08-16-2006, 02:10 PM   #1
risingstar
Jedi Order

Dixie Chicks live!

The better half and I went to see the Dixie Chicks over the weekend. While not my first choice of band to see live (I think I was like one of only three guys there from a crowd of about 12,000 women), I have to say that I was thoroughly impressed. These "chicks" really know how to bring it.

I would recommend this show...

Now if only Tom Petty would come to town already!
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:14 PM   #2
BOSCO
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar
The better half and I went to see the Dixie Chicks over the weekend. While not my first choice of band to see live (I think I was like one of only three guys there from a crowd of about 12,000 women), I have to say that I was thoroughly impressed. These "chicks" really know how to bring it.

Impressed with the Dixie`s or the 12,000 chicks
BOSCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
kal-el
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Quote:

I had tickets to see them and they cancelled my show in Des Moines screw em
kal-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 02:25 PM   #4
risingstar
Jedi Order

The tour had 16 stops in Canada and only 26 in the US. That should say something about where they feel a bit more welome these days.

It's a shame that this band was subject to such unmitigated scapegoating. Other guys like Bruce Springsteen (a personal fave of mine, btw), James Taylor, and Eddie Vedder get away with saying way more controversial statements... I guess in the end it's not generally about what's being said as much as it is about who is saying it...
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 11:50 AM   #5
sellin71
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

They actually cancelled many shows throughout the Midwest. Personally I would rather see the Wiggles or Yanni or John Tesh in an ampitheater in the middle of the Mojave Desert at high noon while wearing a sweatshirt, mink coat, insulated socks, and snow boats.
sellin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 10:46 AM   #6
Relic Reaper

Quote:

I was really looking forward to seeing them live! My wife and I had tickets for their Orlando concert in Ft. Lauderdale, but unfortunately it got cancelled. It's unfortunate that ticket sales were so sluggish down here, but with radio stations not giving them airplay (and one local station outright stating that they have dropped the Chicks from their playlist) it's not very surprising. That and well, let's face it, they aren't too popular in "red" states like Florida. Oh well, I still hope they add more shows to the tour in '07.
Relic Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 04:41 PM   #7
tripoli
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

I think their music is great. Unfortunately their politics suck and they have decided to make it a part of the show many times. More over the audience that would have seen them in the past dis-agrees with their political views and they have voiced more than music which kills their appeal.

Its fine to stand up for your beliefs and principles. But if you are going to push it on others, don't expect those who disagree to have to buy it.
tripoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 05:16 PM   #8
Relic Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripoli
I think their music is great. Unfortunately their politics suck and they have decided to make it a part of the show many times. More over the audience that would have seen them in the past dis-agrees with their political views and they have voiced more than music which kills their appeal.

Its fine to stand up for your beliefs and principles. But if you are going to push it on others, don't expect those who disagree to have to buy it.

Absolutely. They should have no expectation that those who disagree with them will buy their records and I think they've been pretty open about acknowledging that. However, I do have a big problem with corporate bans on their music simply because of their political stance. (And yes, I love their music and happen to agree with their politics.)
Relic Reaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:24 PM   #9
CocoPUFF
ROT Minister Of Defense

bottom line their politics have hurt their ticket sales....that's usually why groups cancel shows...poor ticket sales...and midwest tends to be pretty conservative..
CocoPUFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 09:10 PM   #10
rychehitman
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sellin71
They actually cancelled many shows throughout the Midwest. Personally I would rather see the Wiggles or Yanni or John Tesh in an ampitheater in the middle of the Mojave Desert at high noon while wearing a sweatshirt, mink coat, insulated socks, and snow boats.
Wiggles eh? How do you feel about the Doodlebops?
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote