Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 02-26-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

The Mighty Reviews 2/26/09

Last edited by Kdawg59; 02-26-2009 at 11:58 PM.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
thecallahan
THE HUGGERNAUT!!!

I'm torn between my pick of the week, I loved GL but I also loved New Avengers. Clint's speech at the very end was badass
thecallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 12:42 PM   #3
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Even more so than Dark Avengers, I have to wonder why I should care about the new, non-New, Thunderbolts cast. Why, Sam, why?
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 02:37 PM   #4
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Great reviews, guys! I've got to say that New Avengers No. 50 was the best issue of the series, IMO. I can't remember the last time I enjoyed an Avengers comic more. It totally rocked on all levels. Bendis was in awesome form for this one. And I really believe that Clinton Barton had one of his finest moments in his great history at the end of the comic.

Mighty Avengers No. 22 was also a ton of fun. Wednesday certainly was a great day for Avengers comics!

But one bit in Mighty Avengers has me confused: Does Quicksilver have his power of speed back? His role in the issue left me scratching my head, so I figure there must be some backstory I'm not aware of.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #5
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilynil View Post
But one bit in Mighty Avengers has me confused: Does Quicksilver have his power of speed back? His role in the issue left me scratching my head, so I figure there must be some backstory I'm not aware of.
Hey Neil, I had the same question but forgot to include it.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:19 PM   #6
JDH
Agent of H.A.M.M.E.R.
Producer

Good to hear Pietro feels the need, the need for speed once more. His Terrigen powers made absolutely no sense to me.
JDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
bat_collector
Galactus

Pietro got his powers back in a one shot. I think I reviewed it for you guys if I remember correctly.

It was called The Quick an the Dead.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:59 PM   #8
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Dawg’s Reviews

Green Lantern #38
Written by: Geoff Johns
Drawn by: Ivan Reis

I was actually talking with the owner of my LCS and his right hand man today when I picked up my comics. The topic of the Green Lantern book came up. It seems to be coming up quite often these days. Green Lantern and the impending war of light that will be “Blackest Night” is a bullet train that is of the rails in terms of excitement and buzz. The latest issue to hit the shelves this week is so frenetic, that it is almost too much to take in with one read… I guess that’s why I read it twice before starting this week’s review. There is more plot, information, characters, and awesomeness than I could even take.

Last issue there was a collision of four different Lantern Corps. I can remember how crazy the action was when it was just Green vs. Yellow a year ago and with now four corps going at each other, it is getting more grand and encompassing than ever before. Hal Jordan is at the center of it all. His hatred for Sinestro has become a big deal. The Blue Lanterns have warned Hal that he must not underestimate the Hatred fueled Red Lanterns, but despite that warning, Hal caves in and is overtaken by an errant red ring of power.

This issue starts off with Carol Ferris trying to call Hal whom she obviously misses. She is shocked when Hal’s current love interest and fellow pilot “Cowgirl” picks up. Carol is obviously missing Hal and feels a great sense of loss and longing for what might have been between her and Hal. Anyone who has been following this series can clearly guess where this scene will lead us to.

We then cut to where we left off last issue. Hal has been taken by a red ring and his hatred and willpower are fighting for control. Atrocitus sets his Red Lanterns against the Blue Lanterns Walker and Warth. It is revealed that the power of the Blue Lanterns stems from the emotion of hope. Their power rings actually need a green power ring to in essence fuel their own. Hope needs willpower to function. The Blue Lanterns are among the most powerful there are… but they are very dependent on an external “fuel” to realize this power.

In a desperate move to turn the tide of conflict Walker places his blue ring on the same finger that the red ring inhabits and we are given a flurry of flashbacks from Hal’s life as the blue ring coupled with Hal Jordan’s passion and emotion treat the red ring as an infection that must be expunged.

It is no less than spectacular to see as Hal expels the influence of hate and turn the battle 180 degrees himself. The red Lanterns retreat as Atrocitus has been wounded. Sinestro is rescued by his own corps members and they retreat as well as Hal is left to question Walker as to what actually just happened.

Meanwhile as predicted back on Earth, Carol deals with her abundant emotions of love and loss. The Star Sapphires come calling. Not only that but we are given our first taste of what is to come next issue as the first Orange Lantern is alluded to in shadows and off panel on a distant world, with help from a scarred Guardian.

He last 5-7 pages of this book are purposely flashing between scenes and the pace only heightens the coming war of light. There is no more time for slow burn. This story is now a raging blaze and it will only burn faster and stronger in the next couple of months as the last players take the stage.

Geoff John’s and Ivan Reis are, in my opinion, the very best duo that DC has in tandem right now. It’s not a fluke. They have been churning out fantastic Green Lantern stories with every month that passes. I cannot say enough great things about the job they are doing and “Blackest Night” is going to be one of the most talked about tales for years to come and as a fan, it feels incredible to see this masterpiece unfold.

This is easily my pick of the week.

Wolverine Origins # 33
Marvel Comics
Written by: Daniel Way
Drawn by: Doug Braithwaite

I have to say that this series has seen fits and spurts throughout its tenure as a monthly book for Marvel. It has had some very high moments and a few valleys as well. I can’t complain too much though, because unlike many of the folks out there, I can never get enough Wolverine content. I would have to say that this issue may have been my favorite of this series yet. I learned more about Logan and his origin in 20 some pages this month than I think I have in about 24 years worth of loving this character.

We left off last issue with Logan licking his wounds over a heavy glass full of booze. Nick Fury bellies up to the bar to join his old pal. Fury informs Logan what his traitorous son has been up to in such a short time. He informs Logan that Daken has joined up with Norman Osborn’s Avengers and is operating under Logan’s costume and codename. This is something that will come into play as a very bad thing as far as Cyclops is concerned.

Fury then proceeds to give Logan the low-down and fills in many holes that we as fans have been trying to piece together over the years. These pieces of the puzzle range everywhere from Logan’s mother, to Mac Hudson, to the Weapon X program. There is one common thread to these explanations that Fury gives to Logan… Romulus. It seems that Romulus has been manipulating Logan and his family for over a century. When Logan joined the X-Men, he was suddenly under Charles Xavier’s psychic protection, and he was lost to Romulus. Now he has turned his focus on Logan’s son as he figures, if he cannot control his ultimate weapon in Logan, he will use his ultimate weapon’s offspring to rid him of Logan and continue where he left off.

How can this happen? By using the same process that bonded Adamantium to Logan’s skeleton on Daken, except the metal would be from the only weapon that can kill Logan… the Murumasa Sword.

Cyclops decides that he does not like Daken taking Wolverine’s visage for himself and decided that he’ll use the sword to take care of business himself. This is all a ruse by Daken and Romulus to draw out the sword, so they can use it to realize their plan.

Logan and Fury race to stop Cyclops from coming anywhere near Daken and the game is on.

Like I mentioned, this is what I think is the best issue of this series yet. Snippets that have been given to us about Wolverine’s origin at times give me more of a headache than I would have if I didn’t know. Here though Way gives us shocking and believable revelations to Logan and I loved how it all intricately unfolded. It certainly does not hurt having Doug Braithwaite delivering on the art chores either.

I personally am just as excited by the Wolverine character as I ever have been and this issue was a damn fun issue to read. I believe without needing to read any other issues that revolve around Logan’s past that this one will be worth looking in to, to get some real solid answers to the history of one of Marvel’s most beloved characters.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:04 AM   #9
Kdawg59
Sculptor of Gods
ProducerSculptor

Fellas... sorry my reviews are at the bottom here... I think they were too long to add to the first post... enjoy
Old 02-27-2009, 10:58 AM   #10
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Green Lantern is the best book on the market.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote