Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Closed Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
DarkKni9hT
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Censorship sucks!

Based on what appears to be a single complaint from some sissy whiner, the classic Dire Straits hit "Money for Nothing" is no longer welcome on Canadian radio. Deemed inappropriate for the use of the word faggot, the song has been banned from play. This is a classic example of censorship gone wrong. With countless other songs, many more current than this one, flaunting much more derisive lyrics (including the ever popular "N" word having been made a common lyric throughout the rap community), they choose to pick on just the one. What a total joke. Makes me sad to be Canadian.

http://eatthis.inmusic.ca/2011/01/di...rom-radio.html
Old 01-14-2011, 04:59 PM   #2
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Why don't they just bleep out the word with some silence, like so many other songs have done?
Old 01-14-2011, 05:08 PM   #3
VinReaper

Location: Out of my mind! Be back in 5 minutes! (+12517 to the Post Count)
Is that song just getting up to Canada now! Didn't it release in 1985? They are just now getting to banning it?

Heck! They don't have to worry about banning it from Radio stations. I don't know of one that stills plays it! LOL!

And if that is the speed in whcih the government moves there, then they are for sure not going to get to the rap songs the have racy lyrics for at least another decade! LOL!

VR
Old 01-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #4
dr_teng

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilynil View Post
Why don't they just bleep out the word with some silence, like so many other songs have done?
The article mentions that, if they want to keep playing it, they can indeed just bleep the word.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:02 PM   #5
cblakey1
Cyclops

They've been removing it from the song here for years on mainstream FM radio.

Thank God for Sirius/XM and internet radio.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:56 PM   #6
Jesse321
Galactus

You know, it's REALLY easy to skip over or excuse away a derogatory term, so long as that term doesn't apply to you ... of course!
Old 01-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I like DS music. But there is no excuse for derogatory remarks. I also agree that the N word should be bleeped on the radio.

The radio stations could have bleeped out the term. Mark Knoppler does not strike me as a bigot though.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:17 PM   #8
tedmic
What's another word for Thesaurus?

This is why I have Sirius/XM radio. I don't want the Gov't telling me what I can or can't hear. Terrestrial radio is great if you like this sort of thing or lots of commercials and idiot DJ banter!
Old 01-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #9
hawkeyethearcher

so who should be offended by this word in a song? it isn't being specifically stated to anyone that is real so it is easy to pass up as jesse pointed out. movers being sterotyped as hating homsexuals can ignore it unless it is true about them and then they can get therapy. if someone does think that something that has nothing to do with them is still harmful well then there is therapy to help them with there self worth. course what do i know. as has been pionted out on this forum over and over again i am a staright white male and know nothing of pain, everything is handed to me for free and everyone loves me. it is simple a word is a word and nothing else. you give it power and no one else. is this a erogatory word for homosexuals? i dont know cause when i say the word it has nothing to do with homosexuals and some of my homo friends get it and some dont but it isn't my problem. fight a cause that needs to be fought and not one that gets you publicity and nothing else. there are real groups out there that really want to do harm to anyone different then themselves and this song has nothing to do with it. change the channel or stop thinking everything is about you.

and yes jesse i know i twisted what you said to mean what i wanted but tha was kinda my point it isn't that i dont get what you are saying or that it isn't valid to me.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:56 PM   #10
CessnaDriver
Suicide Squad

I wonder if they play rap with racial slurs or demeaning language of women used?
Closed Thread