Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 01-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #1
GerryT
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Would this put you off commissioning the artist ?

Exchange on Facebook

Artist posts on his FB page concerning a batman commission he did for a customer, he drew the wrong Bat symbol on it, and Customer would like it changed

"But ();:& had a ----ing problem with his piece- The Dark Knight. Technically, Batman had changed his costume before he decided to keep Carrie as Robin. Should I change it for for him? He's an inker, I'm an artist but his piece. Let me know. . . .
Let me make something clear. No disrespect to inkers. Inkers ARE artists but I definitely do more than Inkers.
Put any inker next to my abilities and like Mobb Deep's song from 1995, the "Party's Over".

what does the commissioners job have to do with the commission ? he got it wrong he should change it
GerryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
Demona
Martian Manhunter

I'm failing to see why the skill set and jobs have anything to do with why the symbol isn't right? Seems kinda douchebaggie.

If the "inker" who happened to commission a piece requested a specific costume then that's how it goes -- give him the symbol he wants. Right or wrong in the costume/story timeline doesn't matter.

If I wanted Storm in her original costume battling Rogue in her Jim Lee costume, then I better get it -- even though they aren't from the same time frame. But a note should be made I wouldn't do that because it would bug the hell outta me
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
predaking007
Death is hereditary.

the commissioner's job is irrelevant.

In general, the artist shouldn't have to bend over backward to satisfy the customer unless these were requirements made before drawing began. but in this case, I don't see this as a laborious change and worth going ape---- about. the easiest thing to do is just change the symbol and move on
predaking007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

depends on the context of the conversation. if the inker is a friend of his and that's how they joke, then probably not a big deal.

if its a random customer, then i would probably be put off on doing a commission from him.
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #5
SunnyLee
Doodler and Pencil Scratcher.
ArtistProducer

Commission means paid work. He pays. You draw. Simple arrangement. He wants a new bat symbol - you change it. He wants a tu-tu on bats. You draw it. Artist shmartist - you're getting paid. Stop bee-yatching about the client and do what they paid you to do.
No where in the agreement does it say you get to decide what you want to draw. You don't wanna draw it. Don't take the money. Simple.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #6
SunnyLee
Doodler and Pencil Scratcher.
ArtistProducer

Doesn't matter either if he's his friend, significant other, or mom. They pay you then they become the client.
Old 01-17-2013, 12:06 PM   #7
Underdog07
Hercules

Damn inkers are what is ruining this society. Glad to see them finally getting called out.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #8
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Agreed; if he got it wrong, he should change it.

.. and saying "no disrespect to inkers..." only to follow that with not one but two incredibly disrespectful statements regarding them is of the lowest character.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #9
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

It sure would raise a red flag for me. I’m not saying I would not buy from the artist but I would proceed with caution if I was interested in getting something from the artist.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:27 PM   #10
punisher129
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
Damn inkers are what is ruining this society. Glad to see them finally getting called out.

"you're just a tracer" - Chasing Amy
punisher129 is offline   Reply With Quote