Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 10-07-2013, 05:08 PM   #1
Underdog07
Hercules

Mondo - No Soup for NYCC

Not very surprised that Mondo opted to not make the trek to NYCC this year. They really didn't appear to have an enjoyable time last year (judging by my interactions with them throughout the weekend). Still, its odd that they waited until today to announce it. Coincidentally and unrelated, today I also heard that Lego will not be at NYCC this year.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
dr_teng

The two booths I wanted to hit up the most, laffo. That's unfortunate.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #3
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

That's a relief. No NYCC only prints. There are still some coming from other galleries however...
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #4
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
Not very surprised that Mondo opted to not make the trek to NYCC this year. They really didn't appear to have an enjoyable time last year (judging by my interactions with them throughout the weekend). Still, its odd that they waited until today to announce it. Coincidentally and unrelated, today I also heard that Lego will not be at NYCC this year.
I was going to text you to see if you were planning on going to their booth. There goes that.
Old 10-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
Whirl Wind Boy
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
I don't think it's that far fetched to believe those are related. Theres much more going on here than meets the eyes young jedi's.
Whirl Wind Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:31 PM   #6
Simplyrob
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I can understand Lego not wanting to have a booth up there. From what I understood, their booth at SDCC was insane this year. Those minifigs sell day of on the bay for upwards of $500-$1k. Good on them for not supporting the market in that sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
There are still some coming from other galleries however...
Bottleneck has quite the crew showing up this year, wish I could've made it for that booth alone.
Simplyrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:40 AM   #7
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplyrob View Post
I can understand Lego not wanting to have a booth up there. From what I understood, their booth at SDCC was insane this year. Those minifigs sell day of on the bay for upwards of $500-$1k. Good on them for not supporting the market in that sense.
I applaud this as well if that is indeed their reasoning. Does Lego really benefit from being at SDCC and others? They have massive exposure and popularity however at great stress and expense they reach only a tiny amount of their fanbase with these events. Furthermore the way the Cons go now being there doesn't mean that you will get to benefit from what Lego has to offer. IMHO Lego would do way more fan service by allocating the resources dedicated to con attendances and putting them into events and giveaways at their various stores.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 08:44 AM   #8
Matches Malone
Bub Mod

Sorry for my rant in the Mondo Con thread but I had to get that off my chest.

Mondo's crazy business model sucks at Con's. Even at NYCC last year, on release day they jammed that entire corner of the Javits centre, and that was with the en masse release.

If they are going to attend I these things in the future a pre sale ala last years SDCC is a must. Also let folks pick up everything at one time so that they are not held hostage if they chose to forego a day at the Convention.
Matches Malone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
dr_teng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matches Malone View Post
Sorry for my rant in the Mondo Con thread but I had to get that off my chest.

Mondo's crazy business model sucks at Con's. Even at NYCC last year, on release day they jammed that entire corner of the Javits centre, and that was with the en masse release.

If they are going to attend I these things in the future a pre sale ala last years SDCC is a must. Also let folks pick up everything at one time so that they are not held hostage if they chose to forego a day at the Convention.
Agreed, the presale was so much more smooth and less stressful than dealing with it at con. It was a downright pleasure compared to having to run across the con center for a random drop, haha.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #10
Underdog07
Hercules

I read the Lego issue was more to do with marketing budget which makes sense to me. If it were just to avoid causing havok with exclusives, the siolution would be to get rid of exclusives not stop participating in shows
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote