Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 07-18-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
Kingofthehill78
King Mud

Warning!!! Top Internet Providers To Step In To Stop Piracy Online

Pirating music and movies? Your Internet provider might tell you to stop.
Wireless carriers including AT&T, Verizon, Comcast, Time Warner Cable and Cablevision have joined with entertainment leaders like the Motion Picture Association of America and the Recording Industry Association of America to help curb pirating through a warning system that will give a customer six strikes before implementing measures like slowing Internet speeds.
Called "Copyright Alerts," users suspected of uploading or downloading pirated content will get up to six alerts in the form of emails or pop-up messages. Telecom companies won't shut down the Internet or turn over names to the entertainment companies, but could take "mitigation measures" that might include slowing web speeds, redirecting the users to a landing page until they contact the ISP to talk it over, and more
Users can also ask for an independent review if they think they've received a warning incorrectly. The telecomm and entertainment companies will form a new organization called the Center for Copyright Information to help implement the system and educate consumers.
"Consumers have a right to know if their broadband account is being used for illegal online content theft, or if their own online activity infringes on copyright rules - inadvertently or otherwise - so that they can correct that activity," said James Assey, Executive Vice President of the National Cable & Telecommunications Association, in the statement.
Consumer advocates applauded the measure for its potential to be an "important educational vehicle," but also cautioned that rights violations could result depending on implementation.
"Whether the agreement will meet its educational promise or instead will undermine the rights of Internet users will depend on how it is implemented," the Center for Democracy and Technology and Public Knowledge said in a joint statement. "Among our concerns, we are particularly disappointed that the agreement lists Internet account suspension among the possible remedies. We believe it would be wrong for any ISP to cut off subscribers, even temporarily, based on allegations that have not been tested in court. "
Kingofthehill78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #2
ratchet
Mandarin

Good for them - stealing is stealing.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:25 PM   #3
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

This won't fly. Not only will it be near impossible to legitimize and prove who is actually doing the uploading/downloading due to unsecured wireless networks and public hotspots but its a major privacy violation. You can warn people all you want with pop-ups or some other method of notification but storing an individual's information without their permission and taking action based on said information is going to be a problem. This will be walking a fine line based on it's implementation and you can bet if the privacy laws surrounding internet usage don't keep this from happening altogether it soon will.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:46 AM   #4
Nidgit
Love me sexy
Adamantium Plus Member

If they want to reduce piracy (especially in movies) then a better solution would be simultaneous world wide cinema and DVD releases and abolish region coding
Nidgit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Seems like a reasonable thing to do but I have no idea how they are going to be able to verify 100% who is and who is not download illegal stuff.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #6
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Nah if they really wanted to reduce it, the should stop making crap and put some effort into stuff where people feel they get value for their dollar.

Music: no stories to it anymore, just gimmick phrases over and over for 3 minutes. Booty ho, booty ho.....

Movies: remakes after remakes, no original stuff anymore and heavy CGI. nothing on location anymore.

TV shows: get canned if it doesnt make millions.

Fix some of these things!
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:26 AM   #7
Freak_Zombie
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince-Vell View Post
Nah if they really wanted to reduce it, the should stop making crap and put some effort into stuff where people feel they get value for their dollar.

Music: no stories to it anymore, just gimmick phrases over and over for 3 minutes. Booty ho, booty ho.....

Movies: remakes after remakes, no original stuff anymore and heavy CGI. nothing on location anymore.

TV shows: get canned if it doesnt make millions.

Fix some of these things!

lol I think people are just cheap as opposed to the crap stuff that's been put out there. If its really crap, why both wasting your time on it? Anyways I'm all for it! Been buying my music and movies so don't see it affecting me.
Freak_Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:48 AM   #8
Spideristic
Kingpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak_Zombie View Post
lol I think people are just cheap as opposed to the crap stuff that's been put out there.
Exactly. It's a cop out excuse saying "Hollywood is making bad films, that is why I chose to download it". (This is not directed at Vince-Vell, but people in general who give reasons as to why they download).

Of course Hollywood is indeed making lot of unoriginal movies, so why bother downloading it then?

Consider one of your favourite movies of 2010 which you considered to be the best and worthy of a cinema visit. Now hasn't that movie been downloaded by thousands of people? What is their real excuse? Nothing, just more excuses. Guilty myself and I tend to have my own share of excuses.

I appreciate if people watching pirated movies at least own up to what they do, instead of blaming it all on Hollywood while maintaining a clean conscience.

Heck, I try to watch most of my anticipated movies at the cinema but still continue to download DVD rips of older movies and independent films which are hard to find locally. Also I can't afford buying many DVDs which are not available here and frequently shipping them internationally is also pricey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidgit View Post
If they want to reduce piracy (especially in movies) then a better solution would be simultaneous world wide cinema and DVD releases and abolish region coding
Agreed. I really wish studios would start doing that.
Spideristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #9
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

Not a cop out for me, im tired of walking out of a $13-15 movie and saying to myself. That was not worth the money.

I have more fun watching 80s and 90s movies over and over then seeing a movie like avatar etc....
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:28 PM   #10
lord odin
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
Seems like a reasonable thing to do but I have no idea how they are going to be able to verify 100% who is and who is not download illegal stuff.
No you can't hide behind the excuse that you didn't know.
If the internet account is in your name then you are responsible for making sure your kids don't download anything illegal and you are also responsible for making sure your wifi is secure and not being used by your neighbors.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote