Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 05-21-2024, 04:23 AM   #1
Undependable
Doh!

Studios similar to Manas Sum?

I'm wondering if anyone knows of any other studios more like Manas Sum that are kind of more hard core "artistic".

I've been amassing a small collection of statues but I'm much more interested in the strange/surreal/bizarre/beautiful/lowbrow art/high art as opposed to main-stream statues of anime characters/comic book/movies ect.

I've found a few gems on the forums here and there, including the "S.exy Creatures" thread here-but in general they are few and far between.
Undependable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 08:22 AM   #2
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

I would recommend checking out "Art Doll" forums on Facebook or generally on the internet. The term "doll" has negative connotations on a forum like this, where collectors (at least those with lower experience) seem to generally consider statues to be things of value, while dolls are considered toys (for girls) - of course, the reality is light years from that naive idea.

In reality, the line between art dolls and statues have become somewhat blurred, especially (ironically) when you consider that what the statue community (generally) consider to be high end statues (JND, Queen and Blitzway) are nothing more than static art dolls

If you want more surreal, artistic figure pieces - then you have to look outside the mainstream companies. In fact, I think it's fair to suggest, that in the Art Doll community, there really aren't any companies similar to the license driven makers you see in the mainstream (there's no need for it) - in this community, the companies are replaced by actual artists - producing OOAK pieces - with little or no, mass production in sight.

Naturally, you will pay considerably more for a piece in the Art Doll genre, but to someone with a taste for quality over quantity, that's a more than acceptable compromise.

I guarantee, your collection would be leaps and bounds ahead of the general trash hordes that most average collectors consider a "collection" - in my opinion of course....and I wish you all the best in building that special collection.

One final point to note....while the thread "Sexy Creatures" is indeed one of, if not, the most inspired thread in this forum - especially for the content you indicate you're interested in, this is still within the ideology of the mainstream...it's simply a change of focus from western fantasy to Asian fantasy (Anime / Manga) - most of the content is simply unlicensed mass produced statues.....so while awesome in and of itself, still a far cry from the OOAK art you seem to be hunting.
Silas Loki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 02:10 PM   #3
Undependable
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I would recommend checking out "Art Doll" forums on Facebook or generally on the internet. The term "doll" has negative connotations on a forum like this, where collectors (at least those with lower experience) seem to generally consider statues to be things of value, while dolls are considered toys (for girls) - of course, the reality is light years from that naive idea.

In reality, the line between art dolls and statues have become somewhat blurred, especially (ironically) when you consider that what the statue community (generally) consider to be high end statues (JND, Queen and Blitzway) are nothing more than static art dolls

If you want more surreal, artistic figure pieces - then you have to look outside the mainstream companies. In fact, I think it's fair to suggest, that in the Art Doll community, there really aren't any companies similar to the license driven makers you see in the mainstream (there's no need for it) - in this community, the companies are replaced by actual artists - producing OOAK pieces - with little or no, mass production in sight.

Naturally, you will pay considerably more for a piece in the Art Doll genre, but to someone with a taste for quality over quantity, that's a more than acceptable compromise.

I guarantee, your collection would be leaps and bounds ahead of the general trash hordes that most average collectors consider a "collection" - in my opinion of course....and I wish you all the best in building that special collection.

One final point to note....while the thread "S.exy Creatures" is indeed one of, if not, the most inspired thread in this forum - especially for the content you indicate you're interested in, this is still within the ideology of the mainstream...it's simply a change of focus from western fantasy to Asian fantasy (Anime / Manga) - most of the content is simply unlicensed mass produced statues.....so while awesome in and of itself, still a far cry from the OOAK art you seem to be hunting.
What a rabbit hole this has lead me down! I will definitely buy something out of these thousands of options I'm seeing on etsy, the term "art doll creature" has lead to some very interesting results-so I thank you for that.

Though I have no problem with the doll connotation, the stereotypical "art doll" I am seeing is not quite what I was looking for (though certainly fits the low brow art category), I am more into the fantastical and surreal.

One thing I would mention, I'm not so much obsessed with ooak or hand made original pieces as I am with the beautiful/fascinating ascetic. For example things like this this and this are no doubt mass produced and professionally done, but I don't mind as I find them ascetically pleasing and "high concept" (and I certainly don't mind if there is some beautiful or s.exual femininity in there). Anywhere else you can think to look would be appreciated.
Undependable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2024, 02:23 PM   #4
IcedDog
Frozen Pooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undependable View Post
I am more into the fantastical and surreal.
Anywhere else you can think to look would be appreciated.
You mentioned the SEXY CREATURES thread, but did you also check the FANTASY CREATURES thread?
IcedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2024, 08:00 AM   #5
French Cancan
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undependable View Post
I'm wondering if anyone knows of any other studios more like Manas Sum that are kind of more hard core "artistic".

I've been amassing a small collection of statues but I'm much more interested in the strange/surreal/bizarre/beautiful/lowbrow art/high art as opposed to main-stream statues of anime characters/comic book/movies ect.

I've found a few gems on the forums here and there, including the "S.exy Creatures" thread here-but in general they are few and far between.
I don't know of any other studio like Manas Sum. You could build a collection ( a very eclectic one ) only with their products.
From time to time, more original statues can appear in companies like Ein Studio, U-Loop, Fairy Bean...
If you are looking for truly original works, you can check out the thread "SCULPT'ARTists " http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=171054
One of a kind, small series... Obviously, prices are not the same, but one artist can lead you to another, which can lead you to another, with sometimes good surprises and quite affordable prices. It is a quest...

Oh, and in the thread " Sexy Creatures " you only find ORIGINAL and/or LICENSED statues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedDog View Post
You mentioned the SEXY CREATURES thread, but did you also check the FANTASY CREATURES thread?
French Cancan is offline   Reply With Quote