Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 10-27-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Marvel Endings

I'm not really down with Marvel ending and redrafting a bunch if their titles. I mean, as a marketing professional, I totally get the desire to create new starting (or jumping on) points for new readers. But, for me, as a long time reader, I'd prefer new story
arcs just begin in the books as they continue on after the AvX event.

But, all of this actually is not the point of this thread.

While I'm not a fan of Fraction's Thor or post-Siege Iron Man, Hickman's two FF titles, or Aaron's Hulk runs, I have to say there are a few books out in the last couple of weeks that have been tremendous.

Captain America: Wow, just...wow. What a fantastic issue, drawn by Steve Epting, to be Ed Brubaker's swan song for this character. One of his very best, for a run that has to be at the top of any writer's run on this character or any title in the history of comics.

FF: Not Fantastic Four, but FF. Hickman's work on this title just has been too sterile for me. It just has not captured the wonder and family feel of Mark Waid's run which, beyond Lee/Kirby, is my favorite for these characters. But this closing issue for FF is just tremendous. He really hit it, just as he did on the one issue recently where Reed was present in the distant future for Ben's death. Really great story and issue.

Journey Into Mystery: if ther has to be any out of the gate/come from nowhere title out there, this is it. While Fraction's Thor is just tripe, Gillen's work in JiM is absolutely inspired. This final issue is absolutely brilliant, and actually filled me with a feeling of awe and wonder. It goes beyond what a typically good or really good comic book story delivers. Again, inspired. And the letter from Tom Hiddleston in the letters pages is the icing on the cake and, frankly, proof of concept.

These three books are just great, great stuff!
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #2
Babytoxie
Ghost

These very issues were profiled this week on The AV Club, and they all sounded pretty cool. With that, plus your comments, I may pick them up.

I haven't enjoyed Hickman's creator-owned projects, but his SHIELD was excellent, so I really should give his FF a shot.
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

What's the AV Club?
Old 10-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
ratchet
Mandarin

I am glad you liked those titles - because Aaron's Hulk title was one of the worst written series of the year - so glad it's over!
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #5
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratchet View Post
I am glad you liked those titles - because Aaron's Hulk title was one of the worst written series of the year - so glad it's over!
+10000000
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #6
risingstar
Jedi Order

It is very hard to write the Hulk because unlike any other character in any comics universe, the Hulk is in a constant state of evolution. This is a character the writer really needs to know. He isn't like Cap, Spidey, or Batman who essentially stay the same regardless of who comes on board. This is what makes the Hulk really interesting in that he is perhaps the most complex character ever written where every writer gets to add (or perhaps is expected to add) something new. However, if the writer is a hack or has little knowledge of the lore, he'll fall flat really fast as the Hulk faithful will quickly catch on and won't tolerate it for long.

I'd like to add one other thing about the Hulk which I think also distinguishes him further from other comics characters. Whenever you read about Stan and Jack talk about comics, they always accentuated the fact that what ultimately made heroes interesting were the villains, i.e., The FF has Doom, Cap has the Red Skull, Superman has Luthor, and so on... The Hulk was never as dependent on villains (or any other consistent supporting characters, really) to seem more interesting because the Hulk had so many fascinating layers to him. It was often quite a challenge to come up with villains who were interesting enough to draw attention away from what was happening to him at any given time.

If someone were to ask the average comics fan, who is Batman, who is Spiderman, and/or who is Superman, they could probably tell you in a paragraph or two. However, it isn't anywhere as easy to answer that question when it concerns the Hulk. The reason is because he is "so many things and will become even more" and that's what ultimately captivated the fanbase for over 50 years. And, the fact that he can kick major butt doesn't hurt either.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post

FF: Not Fantastic Four, but FF. Hickman's work on this title just has been too sterile for me. It just has not captured the wonder and family feel of Mark Waid's run which, beyond Lee/Kirby, is my favorite for these characters. But this closing issue for FF is just tremendous. He really hit it, just as he did on the one issue recently where Reed was present in the distant future for Ben's death. Really great story and issue.

So now both the Thing and the Human Torch died in the last year or so?
Old 10-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #8
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Intersting, though, that Aaron is not a hack by any means but still bungled this one.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #9
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar View Post
So now both the Thing and the Human Torch died in the last year or so?
Not really. This was a one issue story where Reed and his father kept going forwar in time to a distant future when Ben, who far outlives the rest of the FF, passes away.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:41 PM   #10
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Not really. This was a one issue story where Reed and his father kept going forwar in time to a distant future when Ben, who far outlives the rest of the FF, passes away.

Goodness, where do you find the time to read comics, let alone find the time to go to your LCS...?? I'm lucky if I can get through just a single issue in a Masterworks before going to bed...

By the way... I'm not sure if these are available in your neck of the words but Scholastic Canada released three omnibus type Bone hardcover books in full color (each hardcover reprints approx 20 issues). I finally got around to reading the first volume which reprints the first three hardcover storyarcs. What a pleasant read, and the art (in color!) is phenomenal. The entire run (3 omnibi) cost me only $51. For what you get, that's a steal. This book looks amazing on high gloss color printing.

http://www.chapters.indigo.ca/home/s...er&pageSize=12