Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 01-03-2007, 06:24 PM   #1
protector2814
Phoenix

Question Do all statue collectors collect comics?

I'm curious, how many of you statue-fans collect the source material; comic-books? I'm sitting on a collection of over 10,000 books and would have a larger statue collection if I didn't have a $40.00+ a week comic bone. If you don't follow "the stories" what motivates the passion? Is it the groovy costumes? the childhood "Spiderman and His Amazing Friends" toons you watched ? The resale potential? Do we all collect both? I remember when I got my 1st statue (The Yellow FS Daredevil) and couldn't believe that I was buying a 3-d representation of a character I'd been comic-collecting for decades. Sorry but the lil' hasbro action figures never did it for me.
For me, statue collecting and comic collecting go hand-in-hand. does anyone know if Randy, Clayburn, etc....have monster comic book collections?
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:40 PM   #2
pablocruze
Minister of GORE/ROT Mod Relations

I no longer collect comics, but have a collection dating back to the beginnings of the Marvel Silver Age.

I collect the statues because they are something I wish I had when I was a kid. I tend to NOT buy statues or busts that are of characters that were created AFTER i stopped collecting comics.
pablocruze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:46 PM   #3
protector2814
Phoenix

Yup.

That make sense. I feel the same way, only I'm still collecting. You've been exposed to the source material and loved it, at the time. By the way, hilarious avatar.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 06:47 PM   #4
patrickwm68
The Flash

I started collecting comics (Ghost Rider & Man-Thing) when I was a kid in the 70's and then the statues came about 10 years ago. I spend on average about $40.00 a week on books. It can get pretty expensive when you add busts and statues into the mix. Thank God for Ebay!
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:05 PM   #5
Doc Sonic
Statue Forum MacDaddy

I stopped collecting comics years ago. I still read the Marvel Masterworks and an occasional trade.

I collect statues because even without a current interest in the stories I have a love for these characters and they'll stay in my heart forever. Especially the way I remembered them as a kid ( 70's/.80's)

I wouldnt be interested in any character modern character representations especially if I'm not familiar with them.
Doc Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:15 PM   #6
CKinSD
Crush Mod
Super Moderator

still get my weekly comics. have way too many in my collection but cannot stop. some of the titles I've been reading for such a long time i would freak i think if i stopped.

i collect statues becasue they are cool!
Old 01-03-2007, 07:36 PM   #7
SolidLiquidFox
Savage Dragon

I read about 10 monthly comics that I love. Quality in the comics market has gone down to the point that I can wait for trades if I hear good things about a story.

I think actively reading comics gives you a different perspective when collecting comics statues. Otherwise you can go crazy buying cool sculpts of characters you don't really care about. If you got the cash to do that then great. If you don't then it just becomes big boys buying expensive cool looking "figures" with credit cards just because they can.
SolidLiquidFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:59 PM   #8
Underdog07
Hercules

I still read comics. My interest has ebbed anf flowed over the years but really picked up over the last few years bc of an increase in good storytelling. I'm up to 50+ titles a month.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:33 PM   #9
Gir
Death is hereditary.

I have a very small Spider-man comic collection. I am planning on collecting the Buffy Season 8 comics, which are being released starting in March.
Gir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 08:42 PM   #10
Alex655321
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Sold all my comics to get out of collecting.
Then I brought the Sentinel Magneto statue coz it looked cool.
Then I got 2 ARH statues on ebay and the rest is history.
Now I collect statues full time. lol
Alex655321 is offline   Reply With Quote