Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Gentle Giant

Old 06-19-2007, 06:54 PM   #1
lordsidi
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Thank you,Gentle Giant.

I don't post,often..but I do enjoy coming on and reading your posts and seeing pics of collections. I must confess that I get annoyed at some of the criticism directed towards Gentle Giant. As far as some other companies and their products such as Sideshow( yes ,I do have some of their LotR line,and my Sauron statue is a true prize in my collection) but I think they can get a bit pricey,and I dare not say anything about the HOLY GRAIL status ,which ATTACKUS has on here,but to tell you the truth,unless you put a mortgage on your house,who is able to even afford some of that line? That is why I love Gentle Giant...because for an average of $50 bucks a pop,I can own a very detailed,and in some respects superior to other company's representations of characters I have loved since 1977 (I am in the age range that I was lucky enough to see "A NEW HOPE" first on the big screen,unaltered....even though I have no problems with LUCAS for the Special Editions,but that is another forum ,alltogether... ,). I constantly am amazed at the detail,put into these busts,and I love to just look at my collection,and I thank GG for letting me own an "army" of some of the greatest characters put on celluloid....Thanks,Gentle Giant!
lordsidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:06 PM   #2
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

As long as your happy with them, that's what's important.

I used to feel the same way and was one of their biggest supporters. Now I'm just completely burnt out on their wanting to be rock stars, traveling the world with limited exclusives that we would all love to have.

I'd love to see the bust license go to a company that was more concerned with making their customers happy.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:31 PM   #3
patrickwm68
The Flash

I for one love their Star Wars busts and I'm making Slave Leia my first fullsize from them. It's their business practices that I have a problem with. The run sizes on most of their stuff is way too large, they have way too many exclusives and they make it hard to get them. They went from a free club to a $50.00 a year club. They said that members would have access to exclusives only to turn around and use a raffle system in order to get them. Those new Star Wars classic busts are just another way to soak money from collectors.
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:43 PM   #4
darthrobbler
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I hate their business practices. Getting the exclusives sucks. Like Monster I am one of their supporters but I too am getting burned out. Give it time it seems to happen to all of us, they make an exclusive that you want because you love the character and it is like going through hell and back just to add it to your collection.
darthrobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 07:50 PM   #5
patrickwm68
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthrobbler View Post
I hate their business practices. Getting the exclusives sucks. Like Monster I am one of their supporters but I too am getting burned out. Give it time it seems to happen to all of us, they make an exclusive that you want because you love the character and it is like going through hell and back just to add it to your collection.
I have to give them credit for getting me the Mara Jade bust. I was on vacation when it went up for sale and I never received an e-mail letting me know when it was going up. I e-mailed their customer service, told them what happened, and about a week later I got an e-mail back and they hooked me up with one.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:59 PM   #6
k-9
I was arrested for selling illegal-sized paper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickwm68 View Post
I have to give them credit for getting me the Mara Jade bust. I was on vacation when it went up for sale and I never received an e-mail letting me know when it was going up. I e-mailed their customer service, told them what happened, and about a week later I got an e-mail back and they hooked me up with one.
i think you will find that they had plenty mara jades available and they were eager to sell another one....they are still available from u.k. e-tailers at a pretty good price.
k-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 08:08 PM   #7
patrickwm68
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-9 View Post
i think you will find that they had plenty mara jades available and they were eager to sell another one....they are still available from u.k. e-tailers at a pretty good price.
Really? F GG then.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:40 PM   #8
darthrobbler
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

I went to Gen-con since it was only about a 6-8 hour drive to get mine. Only time I have ever been to the GG booth on the first day of a con and NOBODY CARED!!! The was no line, no waiting, nothing!! The gamers could give a sh!t about them being there or not. I dropped my friend off that went with me so he could get in line and I would park and by the time I got parked and in there(twen minutes tops) he had already gotten a bust for me and himself. GG chose very badly to go to Gen con. I kept chekcing in on the booth because I was amazed at this and it was dead all day. DEAD! I couldn't believe it!
darthrobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 09:41 PM   #9
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Thumbs down

Like most I'm a BIG supporter of their product. Most of it is really nice stuff but their business practices are easily the worst in the statue/bust world. They need to get off their high horse and start giving back to the customers that made them what they are today or risk losing everything down the road. Something is wrong when I have to buy more than 50% of their products from the likes of eBay at inflated prices.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:37 PM   #10
lordsidi
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Ha Ha..so much for getting a few replies from a more appreciation of the product,than of the business standpoint. As far as large edition sizes,i don't give a crap,,if they make 5000 or 50000 ,as long as I can manage to get one. I don't collect for the resale value. I mean look at the famous Attackus vader 1...i mean,who wouldn't love to have him in their collection,but for what a $1000 or more,at this point,,c'mon,,thats riduculous. Don't get me wrong,i mean some GG busts,such as the Commander Cody,which i would love to own,,that is an Exclusive correct?,,I probably won't get him,unless I pay,a bunch of dough. Well,we all have our opinions, but I just wanted to chime in on how much I appreciate the overall quality of their product,which i tend to hear more negatives about.
lordsidi is offline   Reply With Quote