Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 03-26-2007, 03:47 PM   #11
whd
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoomagic5 View Post
have you ever heard of someone turning down a sketch/commission cause they didnt like it? is that proper etiquette?

i mean, costs for some of these artists are pretty steep...what if you dont like the final product?

just wondering...thanks!
Every once in awhile someone turns down a $100+ sketch they asked for at a Con, but someone always snatches it up immediately in those cases (at least the few times I've seen or heard of it happening). Usually the less than a $100 are paid upfront and I've never seen anyone refuse one, although it's entirely possible that may happen.

Truthfully, there are going to be some sketches that you may be less than happy with, but usually the ones that come out great, more than make up for that. Keep in mind that convention sketches aren't normally the same quality as published pieces.

I've never gotten any actual commissions, because I can't afford to open that Pandora's box just yet.
whd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:52 AM   #12
voodoomagic5
A day without sunshine is like... night.

thanks for the feedback!

so, who are the artists that i "must have" in my collection one day?

mcfarlane?
dell'otto?
romita?
bolland?

any suggestions? thanks!
voodoomagic5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:01 AM   #13
Jackal726
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoomagic5 View Post
any suggestions? thanks!
Wear comfortable shoes. You'll be waiting in some long lines.
Jackal726 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:59 AM   #14
The Batfan
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

usually I tend to get 11x17 but most artists usually keep 9x12 which it smallest I prefer art done on.

Yes it's your money tell them IT SUCKS I have told some big name artists to their face after a full weekend of waiting and hundreds of dollars I come back and I got something that looks they drew it in their sleep and they expect serious moola I have told a few sell it to the next sucker which they usually do LOL But I am very picky when I am commissioning art I have pieces done for 5 bucks by no name artists that are nicer than ones I have gotten from big name artist for hundreds GRRR So I got to where hey just because "insert big famous artist name here" drew it I don't have to take it, wow I went on a rant.

Must haves artists to have are usually based on what characters you want. If they drew it for the comic etc. But I am getting pieces from artists more and more who's style I like.
The Batfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 12:00 PM   #15
superdoug
Minister of ROT

Quote:
Originally Posted by whd View Post
That's true. I've met a few folks who like to get theme books. One guy had a green covered sketchbook, that had nothing but Green Lantern sketches in it. A pretty cool book.
Yeah. My new sketchbook is going to be all Supergirl/Batgirl, since that's the original stuff I collect. And at Wizard World Texas, most of the folks in Artist's Alley were carrying sketchbooks. They're just easier to fit in your bag and carry around. (At least, for us. But we buy lots of stuff, too, so arm space is at a premium. )
superdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 04:56 PM   #16
Weapon X
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I just recently purchased a supergirl sketch (in pencil) and was wondering how do you protect them from smearing..? Does any body use somekind of spray to protect them...?
Weapon X is offline   Reply With Quote