Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 09-27-2007, 10:59 AM   #11
Vince-Vell
Cosmic Painter
PainterModerator

I like createx paint for certain projects and base coats. Just stay away from opaque red from createx. That stuff is the devil!

Danno got me hook on Duplicolor primer while back, that stuff is amazing! I use the filler primer first now to find any mistakes and fill in nicks etc... Then i use the regular primer afterwards.

I sand my primed stuff in running water (after a day or so drying), since i learned to do that growing up in my pops auto body shop when repairing cars.
Vince-Vell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:38 PM   #12
moon_knight1971
Rescue

A question for you Danno:
I purchased several colors of Com-Art since many people, including yourself, recommended them. My problem is when I spray them they just run and don't seem to cover well. I have much more success with Delta & Americana after I thin them down or Createx and Pactra straight out of the bottle. I'm usually at 12 - 18 psi. I'm using a fine needle if that makes a difference.
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 04:23 PM   #13
Danno
Paint Master
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_knight1971 View Post
A question for you Danno:
I purchased several colors of Com-Art since many people, including yourself, recommended them. My problem is when I spray them they just run and don't seem to cover well. I have much more success with Delta & Americana after I thin them down or Createx and Pactra straight out of the bottle. I'm usually at 12 - 18 psi. I'm using a fine needle if that makes a difference.
Hey MK,

I just want to double check and make sure we are talking about ComArt opaque colors.

Now, some colors from ComArt don't cover very well. This is ok. But you have to condition yourself to applying these colors from ComArt a bit differently. These may not cover in a single pass so you may have to run several passes of the color (allowing proper dry time between coats) to build up the color.

Now...I do like ComArt paints and mainly I use the Transparent colors and I am quite fond of the Photo grey set. But for the main bulk of my solid colors, I stick with Freestyle. These have fantastic coverage while laying very fine and smooth.

Delta Ceramcoat, Apple Barrel, FolkArt, etc...these craft paints can be used to spray through your airbrush. But they are much more coarse in pigment and leave a texture (subtle, but it's there).

http://www.picturetrail.com/dannodaman
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 06:19 PM   #14
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Danno they are opaque. I remember doing 2 light coats and not being too pleased with the results. I also remember using yellow which I've heard is one of the harder colors to apply for some reason. I will do another test with a different color and see if I get the same results. Thanks again for your advice
Old 09-27-2007, 06:49 PM   #15
Danno
Paint Master
Producer

Hey MK,

I have futzed around with plenty of yellow paints over the years. The yellow that works best....is taking Vallejo (any yellow of your choice, my favorites are sunblast yellow and bald moon yellow) and thin them with Liquitex airbrush medium, then spray away. Beautiful coverage. This is a good paint to have.

http://www.picturetrail.com/dannodaman
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 07:22 PM   #16
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Yes, I seen you mention Vallejo quite a bit as well and have yet to pick some up to try. I've also looking for some of that Armory sealer that you mention periodically as well. Thanks again for all your tips & advice Danno!