Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 12-25-2007, 10:29 AM   #1
Nar
Frackin!

Red face Airbrushing compressors... im clueless

Hi everyone. I was recently told I was going to get a small airbrushing unit so I can paint my models with.
Ive never used one and a friend of mine told me if I knew what the PSI level was.
I dont know what that is but the person giving the unit to me said it was a small 30PSI unit and told me that it should work just fine for model painting.

I figured I'd ask you pros about this since Im hoping whatever that is, will be enough to paint my models and kitbashes.

This is the first time I will ever use an airbrushing unit and im kind of excited.
I was also told something about it being oiless and moisture controlled.

I mean, is that a good thing?

Thanks for any help. This nooby appreciates it.
Nar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 12:04 PM   #2
ickwinzs
The Rock
Adamantium Plus Member

You bet! Keeping the moisture out is key, as for the psi thats great also I use mine from anywhere from 5psi to abut 18 psi. Have fun with this and just dive right in and see how it works for you. Never be afraid of mistakes as they can allways be fixed!
Old 12-25-2007, 03:01 PM   #3
moon_knight1971
Rescue

Merry X-MAS!

Ok, the PSI controls the amount of air coming through your brush. For finer details you need a regulator on the compressor so that you can manipulate the amount of air coming through. Example, if you get a compressor set automatically at 30 PSI without the option of a regulator to adjust it your paint will always shoot out of your brush at a force too strong to do any delicate work with like shading for instance. Most airbrushes have a trigger which allows you to manually control the amount of paint coming out but that will take practice. Oiless just means maintanence free.

The moisture trap is a small tube/container that is inbetween your airbrush & the compressor. What this thing does is gathers any water particles that get in your hose and stops it from going into your compressor and possibly daming it. Essential piece of equiptment if you want your compressor to last.

Here's a great beginning compressor that offeres the best of all at an affordable price. http://www.badger-airbrush.com/garagesale.htm

Good luck!
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:36 AM   #4
Nar
Frackin!

Thank you both so much!
And merry Christmas to you as well.
Nar is offline   Reply With Quote