Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 01-01-2008, 08:59 AM   #11
HELLION
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Allison View Post
Primer does not affect mold material.
So I take it everyone agrees with your point
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenix v.2.0 View Post
You can prime it up, just seal it with dullcote after.
it's when an extra coat dullcoat is added, even though it will be a cleaner cast, it will degrade some of the details of a sculpt or hide some of the flaws
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Allison View Post
Good lord, what' is 5 castings with dots of primer in it, that will rub off the second you sand it?

Sealing with a dullcote gives you the oppurtunity to compromise your detail, not to mention if there's a solvent, or worse, sulfur which will stop some silicones from curing.

The primer thing is a non issue, and to be perfectly honest, unless you're one of those people who's first cast has to be absolutely lilly white perfect, I wouldn't seal your sculpt at all, or primer it.
I tend to agree on no primer or dullcoat however primer does help see a the final product better. So I think I'll stick to just a coat of primer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenix v.2.0 View Post
Well you know how picky some people are. i personally don't care, but I hate shipping a casting out and then the person doesn't like the it due to it not being perfectly the same color all over.
I dont think it's being picky it's just needed to see an even colored surface, better to see flaws especally seams between repaired areas. It just looks better then with all the different color patches from repairs all over the raw statue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nar View Post
Hi
Ive been sculpting and baking away at my spawn statue and realized from another sculpt project that went south, a spray coat of primer on baked super sculpey, never set. It was slightly sticky all over for days.
The sculpey parts were small and baked evenly that even some parts darkened a bit.

Is there a special type of primer i could use?
I read on the super sculpey box that it recommends the use of acrylic paints if one chooses to paint over the mold.

But I never found grey acrylic primer on my paint shop.
Is using grey acrylic water based model paint any good or the same? Im sorry if its a dumb question.

I mainly need it so I can see the details since im using that semi translucent flesh tone sculpey.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I use Krylon Primer
The biggest mistakes on the Magma piece I believe was the fact I added layers of Dullcoat and crystalclear over the acrylic and primer. All told 10+ layers between all four paint applications. The last two would form a hard shell protecting it from removal agents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moore_000 View Post
Nar, I never had problem with primer over baked Super Sculpey; the primer cures over the baked Super Sculpey for me and the primer dries relatively fast. Maybe is the primer you were using rather than the Super Sculpey. I suggest that you should go to a hobby shop for the gray primer rather than an automotive shop for the primer, although most people on the forum uses the gray automotive primer without any problems.
HELLION, sorry can't offer you anything because I don't know how to mold.
you confirmed what I've gleamed from this thread; a coat of primer at most.

Thank you everyone for your insight!
HELLION is offline   Reply With Quote