Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 04-26-2008, 06:28 PM   #1
Merlose
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Airbrush maintenance frustrations, help needed

So my airbrush is officially driving me crazy. I've been using airbrush ready paints and running cleaner through it after I use each color. But it seems like its constantly getting clogged, I pressure clean it per the instructions but it happens every time. Paint simply doesn't want to come through with the needle inserted. This is really frustrating, what am I doing wrong? can someone help?
Merlose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:38 PM   #2
endsongjen
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

whats the matter luv?!

have u tried cleaning the needle? like pulling it apart, how many times have u used it?

your paint may still be too thick, try thinning it down a bit. kinda of like the same consistency as milk. i did that today with some clear tamiya and omg, it was awesome.

i also have the problem of the paint sticking to the tip of the needle, called dry tip or something, idk (thats sounds gross lol). but yea i just grab a little brush and clean it off.
endsongjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 06:45 PM   #3
Merlose

Quote:
Originally Posted by endsongjen View Post
whats the matter luv?!

have u tried cleaning the needle? like pulling it apart, how many times have u used it?

your paint may still be too thick, try thinning it down a bit. kinda of like the same consistency as milk. i did that today with some clear tamiya and omg, it was awesome.

i also have the problem of the paint sticking to the tip of the needle, called dry something, idk. but yea i just grab a little brush and clean it off.
Yeah I've pulled out the needle to clean it but still nothing, I tried just running water but water won't even pass through when the needle is inserted. I've only used the thing a couple of times.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
endsongjen

ok. u prob got some really dry paint in there. what kin of cleaner u using, boony got me on this winsor and newton brush cleaner and restorer. omg that stuff cleans everything! its gotten clumps or dry paint out of my airbrush. what airbrush u got? u may have to take it all apart and clean it all.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:52 PM   #5
Merlose

Quote:
ok. u prob got some really dry paint in there. what kin of cleaner u using, boony got me on this winsor and newton brush cleaner and restorer. omg that stuff cleans everything! its gotten clumps or dry paint out of my airbrush. what airbrush u got? u may have to take it all apart and clean it all.
I'm using the Badgers airbrush cleaner, I've also tried an acrylic paint brush cleaner, as well as enamel thinner but still nothing. It runs through just fine with the needle pulled out but with it in all i'm getting is air.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:59 PM   #6
endsongjen

thats what happened to me one time. and i keep cleaning and finally got chunks of paint coming out. what i did, and omg everyone will prob think im nuts... lol. take out the needle. i got a piece of copper wire and stuck it thru the color cup and stuck it thru where the needle goes thru. i wiggled it around with and w/o cleaner. and i swore that i had cleaned it but clumps of dry paint kept coming out of it.

hopefully someone else will chime in and knows exactly what the prob is.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:07 PM   #7
Merlose

Quote:
thats what happened to me one time. and i keep cleaning and finally got chunks of paint coming out. what i did, and omg everyone will prob think im nuts... lol. take out the needle. i got a piece of copper wire and stuck it thru the color cup and stuck it thru where the needle goes thru. i wiggled it around with and w/o cleaner. and i swore that i had cleaned it but clumps of dry paint kept coming out of it.

hopefully someone else will chime in and knows exactly what the prob is.
I think I'm going to try that.
Old 04-26-2008, 07:10 PM   #8
endsongjen

LMao!
Old 04-26-2008, 08:04 PM   #9
Danno
Paint Master
Producer

Hey Merlose,

Silly question...but when you pull back on the trigger, does the needle slide in and out of the tip?

What airbrush are you using? What kind/brand of airbrush ready paint are you using?

http://www.picturetrail.com/dannodaman
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Danno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2008, 08:09 PM   #10
Merlose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Hey Merlose,

Silly question...but when you pull back on the trigger, does the needle slide in and out of the tip?

What airbrush are you using? What kind/brand of airbrush ready paint are you using?
Just checked the needle doesn't seem to slip in and out.

I'm using an Iwata Hp-CH and I'm using both Badgers Air Opaque and Freestyle paints.